• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump is a dangerous idiot

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't know anyone who says America was perfect before Trump came along, although a. There's a lot of rose coloured reminiscing about Obama and b. An awful lot of Cold War era Western/free world boosterism still floating around.

No, obviously I was embellishing the point for effect, but whenever I hear these kinds of remarks, my first reaction (regarding those who make them) is "where have these people been?" This points up just how out of touch a lot of people have been in recent decades, leading to the very problems which led to Trump's election in the first place.

Over and over again, I see threads where people express incredulity and bafflement over Trump's election, and the bottom line is, they have no answers. They'll come up with all kinds of bizarre theories, from alleged Russian interference to right-wing propaganda, as if large sections of the country are nothing more than zombies being controlled by some mind-control device.

This is another indication of just how out of touch many people are, and again, they can't seem to figure out what to do about anything.

Now sure, I acknowledge that most non-Americans don't know every single little thing going on there, and of course there are cultural differences that cause some misunderstandings about some stuff. Butcwhen you have a really serious problem, like Trump, "oh, you don't understand, you're not an American " holds less water.

But the thing is, Trump, in and of himself, is not really the problem. Trump is a symptom of a deeper problem which so many people fail to recognize. That's what takes a bit more understanding and empathy, which is just another way of saying trying to walk in someone else's shoes. I know Trump supporters and I know for a fact that they're not the illiterate, uneducated, ignorant idiots that so many people would paint them as. That's how I know that so many people simply don't understand.

Consider; you didn't need to be a German in 1935 to know Hitler was a serious problem. You didn't need to be Iraqi in 2000 to know Hussein was bad news, and today, while non Americans might not catch every subtle aspect of everything that's happening there, you don't need to be an American to see the general trends around Trump.

This may very well be true, although it's not really that difficult to figure out how and why someone like Hitler could have gotten into power. If they didn't recognize the problems in Germany in the years immediately following WW1, then they might have believed that Hitler was just some kind of bizarre demon who simply popped up out of thin air - which is how a lot of our popular culture portrays the history of that era. Again, it's simply a matter of being out of touch and unaware of the causes and effects of history - a common malady which continues to this day.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
America does influence the world. Over the past 30 years America influenced the world and made it dependent on a lopsided situation where America covered the tab for war and peace. Trump is more about a Dutch Treat approach. This will take some time to get used to. BUT in the end, a date has more control if she covers her own tab.

Paying the world tab, under Obama, for military, trade and human tragedy, became a way for middlemen in America and foreign counties, to scam and skim via the pretense of a giveaway. For example, giving Iran $billions in cash was way to money launder tax payer money under the guise of promoting world peace. Who deals in cash, nowadays, except the black market who wishes to hide its illegal activities. What percent did Kerry and Obama get and where is their golden parachute hidden now? Did Trump, by voiding the deal, cause Obama and Kerry to lose the golden parachute finder fee?

Trump is dealing with the black market global corruption by pulling the plug on the various international wash machines. Global warming was supposed to be an industrial size wash machine for international money laundering. The US was almost committed to $trillions in giveaways for climate related money laundering. Trump sent that wash machine back for a refund. Foreign leaders are upset since they were already picking out the curtains for their retirement homes. They use their own versions of fake news in the hopes of getting the scam back on track.

Why should the US pay for the United Nations only to have third world dictators lecture them on human rights? That rebellion was led by the leftist and used as a tool to shake down America. America is always guilty and has to pay. The world had become ungrateful guests who think it is up to the host to accommodate them. Trump owes hotels and knows how to deal with unruly guests in a polite way. You cover their tab for their stay, up to then, and ask them to leave. While middlemen use this guilt game as a pretense to skim and scam; swamp. The international left is besides itself, since these scams took decades to perfect and only years to undermine.

What a brilliant analysis! Absolutely brilliant. All it lacks is contact with reality. But any Trump supporter worth his MAGA cap can overlook a minor flaw like that one.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I cannot understand how the US voted in that clown, Trump.....
You wonder how?
It's pretty clear.
Hillary-Clinton-What-Happened.jpg

tytlyf

Not Religious
I cannot understand how the US voted in that clown, Trump, who is making their country the laughing stock of the planet. That crazy guy is a very sick joke, and for the security of the world needs to be removed from office, by whatever means, as Trump is such a loose cannon.
America is known to be 'fat and stupid.' When stupid people vote, this is the result. The dangerous part is these same people believe conspiracy theories, lies and disinformation. The Donald supporter is to blame more than Donald himself.
They'll get what's coming to them soon.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
It looks as if Russia gave Trump some assistance.

Maybe. We don't honestly know yet. I expect the Mueller investigation might settle the matter one way or another. What we do know, however, is that Russia meddled in the elections. Their goal, however, does not appear to have been to get Trump in office, but rather to divide Americans and sow strife and discord among us.

They went on social media platforms everywhere, created fake accounts posing as Americans, and did their best to incite animosity.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
You can rest easy on this point, I don’t think anyone is saying this.

Not in so many words, but I see it more as an insinuation.

I think those on the outside often have greater perspective than those who are in the centre of it all. Perhaps it would be wisest to consider all perspectives. People with a different view may see something you can’t see from where you are.

As the Scottish poet put it:
O wad some Pow'r the giftie gie us
To see oursels as ithers see us!

The thing is, I've talked to people from all over the world, and I know that not everyone sees America in the same way. Most of whom I encounter on the internet are other denizens of the Anglosphere whose views have also been shaped by where they live and where they come from.

But I've also talked to those from Africa, the Middle East, Asia, Russia, and Latin America - and they don't necessarily see the same things in the same way that those from Canada, the UK, or Australia might see things.

But I've often found that people from Britain (as well as Canada, Australia, and NZ) tend to act as if they're the final word and set themselves up as representatives of the "world outside America" when in fact, they're more like us than any of them would care to admit.

You may or may not be surprised to learn that there are a lot of people on other continents who don't think too highly of the British Empire. I'm not saying that to be mean, and I know that they're also quite critical of America - not just Trump, but America in general and how our government has behaved over the course of centuries.

At one time, America was probably more isolated from the rest of the world, and perhaps our government and leaders were somewhat ignorant of how the rest of the world operated. I will admit that, and that's largely our own fault. For example, during WW2 at the Tehran Conference, almost no one in our State Department had any real understanding of the country of Iran. For that, we relied on the British to be our "guide," so to speak, since they already had extensive dealings in that area of the world. Our own leaders knew next to nothing.

Likewise, I've seen a lot of posturing regarding how Americans "should" perceive other nations, such as China, Russia, NK, or others, but I recall how we've been given a bum steer in the past. We got dragged into chaotic situations in former European colonies around the world, and it still continues to this day. They dragged us into their fights so that they could use American muscle to prop up their own imperialist status quo, and then they turn around and condemn us as being "imperialists." We're damned if we do, damned if we don't in the eyes of the rest of the Anglosphere and other denizens of the West.

In other words, the overall situation is far more complicated than what can be summed as cavalier, oversimplified remarks about Trump being a "dangerous idiot." Even if that may be true on its face, it still doesn't take into consideration the causes and effects of history and how it has impacted Americans' understanding of the world.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Not in so many words, but I see it more as an insinuation.

In order to have a rational and intelligent discussion, you need to see fewer "insinuations" and stick more to the facts. This "insinuation" business is not in practice any different from fantasizing.

Stevicus

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Thirty or forty years ago we were clearly more respected than we are today. Respect for America plummeted under Bush, recovered somewhat under Obama, and has plummeted again under Trump. In fact, Trump has driven it lower than Bush did. You don't agree? Show me the international polling that contradicts what I said.

I'd like to see that international polling myself. But strictly speaking, I don't put much stock into polls. It also depends on which country you're talking about, their history with America, and whether the people living there have a righteous grudge against America (which many do).

I do recall some rather severe criticisms of America during Nixon and Reagan, although it depends on where they're coming from and what their reasons are - things that wouldn't necessarily be adequately explained in an oversimplified "poll."

PureX

Veteran Member
I cannot understand how the US voted in that clown, Trump, who is making their country the laughing stock of the planet. That crazy guy is a very sick joke, and for the security of the world needs to be removed from office, by whatever means, as Trump is such a loose cannon.
You'd better think more carefully, then, because this "movie" will be coming to a theater near you, soon enough.

Trump got elected in the U.S. because capitalism has enabled a small but very wealthy class of people to completely corrupt our economy, our media, our government, our social discourse, and it even has corrupted many of our churches and religious leaders. Capitalism is a poison within any society that engages in it, and right now, that is nearly every society on this planet, including the one you are living in. It takes a while to run it's course, and the symptoms mid-way through can be positively deceiving, but the end result is an inevitable total collapse of society if it's allowed to run it's course. And it becomes more and more difficult to stop or reign it in as it continues to divide society against itself.

Please take a lesson from the insanity you see before you in the Unites States. Because it will become your insanity, too, if you allow greed and stupidity to run your country the way we have allowed it to run ours.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Everything comes to an end sooner or later.
so will Trump.
politics swings like a pendulum.
However it is hard to measure the damage done till the pendulum swings out of the way.
National power is much the same.
The UK's power is approaching the bottom of its swing after a long period at the summit.
The USA is on the way down, as is Russia.
but both fighting hard to slow the fall.
The Eastern nations are on the way up
Especially India and China.
Africa is wedged solid near the bottom.
The middle East's tank is running low and will collapse when empty.

change is inevitable in all things.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'd like to see that international polling myself. But strictly speaking, I don't put much stock into polls.

Many people who are not well educated about polling techniques share your valuation of them. While they are not flawless by any means, the usual errors made with them lie more in how they are interpreted by ignorant people than in how they were conducted. At least, that's true of the better polls. Whenever I hear someone say, "Polls are unreliable", I think they probably are too ignorant to understand them.

tytlyf

Not Religious
I'm a single issue voter. But it's the most important issue by far.
I vote democratic because they aren't climate deniers.
People need to wake up and realize the republican deny climate change because Big Oil (Koch brothers) tell them to deny it.
Have pollution in your state messing up the waterways? Oh, and you want to clean it up? You don't support republicans who admit they hate the EPA, safety laws, regulations, etc. They are the culprits. Duh.

BSM1

What? Me worry?

Hahahah..oh, wait...you seriously believe this? I'm sorry. BTW, we don't see many caravans of people trying to enter any other foreign country, so we must have something to offer. Plus, we can still kick butt on anyone else out there so deal with it.

Nous

Premium Member
Trump is a dangerous idiot, but impeaching him--especially on the basis of "high crimes and misdemeanors" no more "serious" than obstruction of justice--and putting Pence in the White House will undoubtedly decrease Democrats' chances to win the White House and other elected offices (not just federal ones) around the country in 2020.

In any case, obviously Trump can't be impeached and removed from office without a goodly number of Republican Senators agreeing that he should be removed from office. It's difficult to predict right now whether that is going to happen.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Hahahah..oh, wait...you seriously believe this? I'm sorry. BTW, we don't see many caravans of people trying to enter any other foreign country, so we must have something to offer. Plus, we can still kick butt on anyone else out there so deal with it.
Very dangerous rhetoric. It's time to put down RW media for information. Turn on CNN or some normal news station for a while. You'll learn about what's actually going on in the world. Outside of brown people in caravans and a black lady in charge of elections in FL.
Donald is crapping his pants, do you know why? I didn't vote for the traitor.

Nous

Premium Member
No offense, but it does tend to irk me whenever people who aren't from America suggest that they know more about my country than those of us who have lived here all their lives (along with generations of family history).
It may irk you, but on this board it sadly looks to me that a lot of non-US citizens do in fact know more about the US, our system of government and US history, etc., than the average American does.

Nous

Premium Member
Based on what I have seen of people whose IQs I actually know, Trump most resembles the folks I know whose IQs are around 95 for so.
At least in the case of Trump, I fear you may have overestimated that number.