• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump and Repub congress ignore Puerto Rico humanitarian crisis

esmith

Veteran Member
Old news, where you been? Trump dumped it off at the dock. He's expecting Americans to do the rest. No assistance. What a failure for Trump.
Guess you can't read.
a shortage of truckers and the island's devastated infrastructure are making it tough to move aid to where it's needed most, officials say.
At least 10,000 containers of supplies -- including food, water and medicine -- were sitting Thursday at the San Juan port, said Jose Ayala, the Crowley shipping company's vice president in Puerto Rico.
Part of the reason for the distribution backlog is that only 20% of truck drivers have reported back to work since Hurricane Maria swept through, according to a representative for Puerto Rican Gov. Ricardo Rosselló.
On top of that, a diesel fuel shortage and a tangle of blocked roads mean the distribution of supplies is extremely challenging. Even contacting drivers is a problem because cell towers are still down.

How do you want the US government to fix that. Get serious, you don't have an idea what you are yapping about

tytlyf

Not Religious
Guess you can't read.

How do you want the US government to fix that. Get serious, you don't have an idea what you are yapping about
Easy, understand before going to PR that there is a gas shortage due to no power. Bring tons of generators for the gas stations. This way the truck drivers can get gas and go back to work. Start airlifting the supplies to cities by chopper.
Where are the boots on the ground?

You don't want Trump to help PR. He's also trying to appease his base.

esmith

Veteran Member
Easy, understand before going to PR that there is a gas shortage due to no power. Bring tons of generators for the gas stations. This way the truck drivers can get gas and go back to work. Start airlifting the supplies to cities by chopper.

You don't want Trump to help PR. He's also trying to appease his base.
Sounds like you have no idea what you are talking about. Typical

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The general who finally got our act going to deal with Katrina said the same thing, namely that it would take plenty of troops along with the Marine's ability to launch a sea "invasion" to get enough there to adequately deal with what had to be done, and he's very upset with the lack of having them in the right position just prior to and immediately after Maria hit PR.

The Brits, otoh, had ships moving quickly towards the area even before Maria hit land-fall in the British V.I.

tytlyf

Not Religious
The general who finally got our act going to deal with Katrina said the same thing, namely that it would take plenty of troops along with the Marine's ability to launch a sea "invasion" to get enough there to adequately deal with what had to be done, and he's very upset with the lack of having them in the right position just prior to and immediately after Maria hit PR.

The Brits, otoh, had ships moving quickly towards the area even before Maria hit land-fall in the British V.I.
I like Trump's excuse for not helping, "it's an island, surrounded by big water." Well, so are the lower florida keys. How did supplies get to them after Irma?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
I like Trump's excuse for not helping, "it's an island, surrounded by big water." Well, so are the lower florida keys. How did supplies get to them after Irma?
Like a pass receiver who tries to run with the ball before actually catching it, I tend to think he took his eye off the ball because his mind was elsewhere, and the same may be true of his team in general. So, I am actually cutting him some slack here, even though I don't know if he deserves it.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
Oh god. Get this man a teleprompter for heavens sake.

From insinuating that Puerto Rico is not experiencing a real catastrophe, to joking about how much Puerto Rico aid is costing the US, to constantly messaging his ego by bringing up praise, he just can't manage to not put his foot in his mouth.

Trump in PR worse than imagined

tytlyf

Not Religious
Oh god. Get this man a teleprompter for heavens sake.

From insinuating that Puerto Rico is not experiencing a real catastrophe, to joking about how much Puerto Rico aid is costing the US, to constantly messaging his ego by bringing up praise, he just can't manage to not put his foot in his mouth.

Trump in PR worse than imagined
Unfit, don't expect him to act presidential any time soon. He doesn't write any of the stuff he reads off a teleprompter. He's not smart enough.

Milton Platt

Trump is being Trump ignoring an evolving humanitarian disaster in Puerto Rico to rant about football players. The attempt in Congress is to do what the oligarchs demand that they do. Meanwhile a disaster unfolds with them not caring about human suffering.

The oligarchs controlling the Republican party insisted that the only thing worth doing was repealing the ACA.

Romney: Put aside controversies, prioritize Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands

The GOP can't quit Obamacare repeal because of their donors

This OP is very disingenuous. A lot is being done to help Puerto Rico. Is it enough and soon enough? I don't have enough information to know. There are numerous barriers to providing relief there. Roads are impassable, communications are almost non existent.........There is a great deal of supplies at ports just waiting. And I say this not being a Trump supporter.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
This OP is very disingenuous. A lot is being done to help Puerto Rico. Is it enough and soon enough? I don't have enough information to know. There are numerous barriers to providing relief there. Roads are impassable, communications are almost non existent.........There is a great deal of supplies at ports just waiting. And I say this not being a Trump supporter.
I read an op-ed from a military guy that made a great point (unfortunately cannot now find it): our military is capable of building a runway in day. They can build docks and roads. We have giant floating cities that can provide power.

We knew the hurricane was going to hit hard; and a lot of this could have already been in the works. And after the fact, are you really telling me that our country can't figure out how to get aid to an island?

We spend so much on our military. It would be nice to see some of that materiel, manpower, and expertise put to use. I really don't think we should accept the excuse that it's just too hard.

Milton Platt

I read an op-ed from a military guy that made a great point (unfortunately cannot now find it): our military is capable of building a runway in day. They can build docks and roads. We have giant floating cities that can provide power.

We knew the hurricane was going to hit hard; and a lot of this could have already been in the works. And after the fact, are you really telling me that our country can't figure out how to get aid to an island?

We spend so much on our military. It would be nice to see some of that materiel, manpower, and expertise put to use. I really don't think we should accept the excuse that it's just too hard.

The problem does not seem to be getting it there. It is distributing it. Plus, communications systems and water systems take time. Building an electrical grid takes time. Clearing and repairing roadways takes time. Sure, it would be nice to have a military that is good at fixing disasters. But their stated purpose is to create disasters, so they are out of their element a bit.

I'm just pointing out to all those arm chair quarterbacks that the only knowledge they have about the situation is what the media feeds them.

icehorse

......unaffiliated...... anti-dogmatist
Premium Member

I'm late to the thread, but seriously, any sort of claim that it is impossible to do better, comes off as quite a whopper.