• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump and Repub congress ignore Puerto Rico humanitarian crisis

tytlyf

Not Religious
Last I checked there isn't a port problem, there aren't marines or national guard troops on the ground. Pretty much no assistance outside freelance people helping. If ports were damaged and not navigable, there wouldn't be 1000's of containers sitting in the port.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
BTW, did you by chance notice that I didn't criticize the administration's handling of the efforts in Texas and Florida? Why? Glad you asked. Because they were handled quite well, imo. :cool:
GASP! (Holding onto the table as I almost fell)

(heart increased in beating rate) GASP! (as I tried to regain my breath)

A mental decision to SLOOOOWLY breathe... color coming back to my face... I regain my composure...

but remain............... speechless (A VERY HARD THING TO HAPPEN FOR A PREACHER, mind you) :D

Kenny

Premium Member
Last I checked there isn't a port problem, there aren't marines or national guard troops on the ground. Pretty much no assistance outside freelance people helping. If ports were damaged and not navigable, there wouldn't be 1000's of containers sitting in the port.
These things are reported by all outlets... so I beg to differ.

pearl

Trump's advisors know visiting Puerto Rico or paying any attention to the problem will upset his base. I'll bet it's a flyover.

I think that's because both Trump and the base assume Puerto Ricans are Latinos. One need only to consider Trump and the 'Central Park five' to understand where his mindset is.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
but remain............... speechless (A VERY HARD THING TO HAPPEN FOR A PREACHER, mind you) :D
You, "speechless"-- r-i-g-h-t .

BTW, it certainly wasn't the first time I gave Trump credit for somethings that I agree with him on and, as you may recall, I voted for Bernie in the primary here, and there are some areas where they do match up.

As I've covered before, my biggest complaint against Trump is his basic lack of morals, including basic Christian and observant Jewish morals. Even his co-authors have publicly stated that he's so self-centered that he will manipulate just about anyone to do his bidding, dump on them if they don't, plus his history of "racism", illegal activities (three in the last year alone that he's had to pay fines on), religious bigotry, misogynistic words and actions, numerous affairs, his defiance of even the Constitution ("Lock her up!") and disregard for the law if it goes against his wishes, his "pathological" lying (as even some of his fellow Republicans have called it), etc., are things they know are part of his past and present. Matter of fact, I still cannot understand how an observant Christian or Jew or Muslim could continue to support him. Vote for him, ya I'll cut others some slack on this because maybe they really didn't follow what he had done and what he kept saying, but I don't cut any others any slack whatsoever.

BTW, just a reminder that I wanted to vote 3rd party (Stein) as a "protest vote", but had a feeling that Trump would win so I voted for Hillary. However, as I posted here long before the election and also afterword, she's far from being someone I wanted as president.

I know you're not going to like what my opinions above say, but I do want to be honest and up-front with you on this. I really like you a ton, but I'd be less than honest if I said that your continued defending of Trump that ignores what he has said and done I find quite troubling. But then I'm quite sure I have said some things here that you also find quite troubling, and I can accept that.

Have a great weekend, my friend (I hope, even after the above),
metis

[btw, do you know what a "Me'tis" is?]

Kenny

Premium Member
CHANGING THE ORDER

Not the faintest idea. :)
Have a great weekend, my friend (I hope, even after the above),
metis
Hope is the best thing we have going... and perhaps, after this post, you can add faith to your hope.

BTW, it certainly wasn't the first time I gave Trump credit for somethings that I agree with him on and, as you may recall, I voted for Bernie in the primary here, and there are some areas where they do match up.
This is why I appreciate your input. You are fair! You acknowlege when it is right and you highlight what is wrong ( :) although with Hillary, you seem to give a little more slack)

As I've covered before, my biggest complaint against Trump is his basic lack of morals, including basic Christian and observant Jewish morals. Even his co-authors have publicly stated that he's so self-centered that he will manipulate just about anyone to do his bidding, dump on them if they don't, plus his history of "racism", illegal activities (three in the last year alone that he's had to pay fines on), religious bigotry, misogynistic words and actions, numerous affairs, his defiance of even the Constitution ("Lock her up!") and disregard for the law if it goes against his wishes, his "pathological" lying (as even some of his fellow Republicans have called it), etc., are things they know are part of his past and present. Matter of fact, I still cannot understand how an observant Christian or Jew or Muslim could continue to support him. Vote for him, ya I'll cut others some slack on this because maybe they really didn't follow what he had done and what he kept saying, but I don't cut any others any slack whatsoever.
OK... I will be frank. Trump was not the person I was rooting for in the primaries. You are absolutely right about his affairs, his lack of past morals (which he still has today), his past illegal activities, his verbiage that comes out of his mouth etc. etc etc.

Perhaps the reason it may "appear" that I am defending Trump at every corner but it really isn't that. It is simply a push back of all the lies, misrepresentations, exaggerations that the media et al have dished out as truth. On occassion, to be honest, I probably have gone overboard because of it (to my detriment).

When Obama was president, I prayed for him and told people not to speak evil over him for my hope is in God and not man. I hold to the promise The king's heart is in the hand of the LORD, as the rivers of water: he turneth it whithersoever he will. Prov 21:1 and that "if my people who are called by my name will humble themselves"... Not the sinner, but His people.

I do likewise for Trump. My hope is in God and not in Trump. (Trump that, why don't you) :D

BTW, just a reminder that I wanted to vote 3rd party (Stein) as a "protest vote", but had a feeling that Trump would win so I voted for Hillary. However, as I posted here long before the election and also afterword, she's far from being someone I wanted as president.

And so... I was in the same positon... Realizing that in either case I didn't have the one I wanted, I voted for the Supreme Court.

I hope that my words heal any wounds I may have caused because of my humanity. My only hope is that God's mercy is higher than the Heavens from the earth and that you can give some mercy to me.

Last edited:

metis

Not the faintest idea. :)
Oh, you poor uneducated dork :p. A Me'tis is the French word for a person of mixed Amerindian and French (or some other European) ancestry, and three of my four grandparents were Me'tis. Even though my sister has these characteristics (dark complected, high cheekbones, slightly slanted eyes) and can easily mix in on pretty much any reservation, I stick out like a sore thumb there because of my blue eyes and [formerly] blonde hair-- the Swede came out in me, inherited from my fourth grandparent and a bit of Scot [probably] from one of my other grandparents.

So, there you go, my entire history in a nutshell-- you're now edumacated!

Have a great weekend, my friend. :)

tytlyf

Not Religious
This is what you said was reported everywhere and you don't show proof with your 2 sources.

Not to be contentious :D repealing Jones act doesn't ameliorate the situation because you can't get boats into a port filled with derelict boats in the water (sunk) and a port that wasn't even able to receive goods

Marines were on the ground some time ago make headway... you just can't trip over boats and unload.

Obviously the ports are fine. And I have yet to see marines on the ground. Neither of your links helps your case.

james dixon

Premium Member
What Trump is waiting for is for the vast majority of the Puerto Rico citizens to leave or die and then he will exercise a massive land grab, build a golf course/Trump hotel and then have the island renamed to the "Trump Island of Paradise"

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
What Trump is waiting for is for the vast majority of the Puerto Rico citizens to leave or die and then he will exercise a massive land grab, build a golf course/Trump hotel and then have the island renamed to the "Trump Island of Paradise"
Good lord, it's going to be a long eight years....

tytlyf

Not Religious
Yeah for the liberal lefties
What about the moderate lefties? A lot more moderates than liberals. Most Americans (R and D) disapprove of this nightmare presidency. I'd recommend watching something other than GOP media.

metis

I'd recommend watching something other than GOP media.
Ya, as watching Fox "News" is like stepping into an alternative universe at times, and for some reason the regular watchers don't seem to understand that it basically was designed by Murdock to push "conservative" slants. Of course, their patented response is that all other networks are "lefties", which is bogus with most since study after study has shown most major outlets to be somewhat moderately left of center. MSNBC, would be an exception to that rule, however, even though other studies have shown them to be more accurate than Fox on reporting day to day news minus commentaries.

A good friend of mine did volunteer work for Media Matters, which granted is left-leaning, and he would watch Fox & Friends at one hour time slot a few days a week. What he told me is that what you repeatedly see are the same "talking points" being parroted throughout the day, thus giving slants to even many of the basic news stories.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Ya, as watching Fox "News" is like stepping into an alternative universe at times, and for some reason the regular watchers don't seem to understand that it basically was designed by Murdock to push "conservative" slants. Of course, their patented response is that all other networks are "lefties", which is bogus with most since study after study has shown most major outlets to be somewhat moderately left of center. MSNBC, would be an exception to that rule, however, even though other studies have shown them to be more accurate than Fox on reporting day to day news minus commentaries.

A good friend of mine did volunteer work for Media Matters, which granted is left-leaning, and he would watch Fox & Friends at one hour time slot a few days a week. What he told me is that what you repeatedly see are the same "talking points" being parroted throughout the day, thus giving slants to even many of the basic news stories.
Thank Gawd I don't watch Faux Nudes.... :)

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Oh, but you watch all other "Nudes"?! Pervert!!!

What's your best nudie site, btw? Just curious.:cool:
I'm all over the map, most days. BBC, WSJ, NYT, CNN to name a few. I regularly check out DailyKos and MediaMatters when I need a laugh. Never Faux or MsLSD.

tytlyf

Not Religious
What he told me is that what you repeatedly see are the same "talking points" being parroted throughout the day, thus giving slants to even many of the basic news stories.
That's the saturation/repetition propaganda technique. Hence the echo chamber label that GOP media deserves. I look at things a little deeper than most. A much deeper perspective.

If it was obvious what the GOP elitists were doing to the American public, it wouldn't be so successful. Which is why it's important that people understand what propaganda is and how to recognize it.
Propaganda is used during elections because it works.