• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump and Repub congress ignore Puerto Rico humanitarian crisis

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Trump is being Trump ignoring an evolving humanitarian disaster in Puerto Rico to rant about football players. The attempt in Congress is to do what the oligarchs demand that they do. Meanwhile a disaster unfolds with them not caring about human suffering.

The oligarchs controlling the Republican party insisted that the only thing worth doing was repealing the ACA.

Romney: Put aside controversies, prioritize Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands

The GOP can't quit Obamacare repeal because of their donors

pearl

The majority of the Republican congress has certainly lost is moral compass. And add to that a president who is no more than a spoiled child with the sole authority to push the 'button'.

esmith

Veteran Member

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
News stories about fed help for Puerto Rico aren't prominent, but
the fed (which includes both Dems & Pubs) isn't ignoring them.
Feds rush aid to Puerto Rico, while Trump tweets about island's Wall Street debt
turn it around and see what the right would do if a President Clinton spent all her time tweeting about North Korea and Iran. They would be at a minimum apoplectic. And the title says what his attitude is - a divider who does not care about the people but only puts them down because the government has too much debt.

Wirey

Fartist
Trump is being Trump ignoring an evolving humanitarian disaster in Puerto Rico to rant about football players. The attempt in Congress is to do what the oligarchs demand that they do. Meanwhile a disaster unfolds with them not caring about human suffering.

The oligarchs controlling the Republican party insisted that the only thing worth doing was repealing the ACA.

Romney: Put aside controversies, prioritize Puerto Rico, Virgin Islands

The GOP can't quit Obamacare repeal because of their donors

I gotta call bull pucky on this one. They didn't ignore it. They immediately vilified the NFL and NBA so people would forget about it:

Trump to visit devastated Puerto Rico, says he wasn't 'preoccupied' with NFL

4 tweets about Puerto Rico, 24 about the NFL. That's great deflection right there. "Look at the sideshow, folks, nothing going on in the big tent!"

esmith

Veteran Member
turn it around and see what the right would do if a President Clinton spent all her time tweeting about North Korea and Iran. They would be at a minimum apoplectic. And the title says what his attitude is - a divider who does not care about the people but only puts them down because the government has too much debt.
You do know that tweeting wasn't around during President Clinton's term don't you? Or are you just confused?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
The article's spin doesn't change the fact that the federal government is aiding PR.
Leftish complaints are rooted in their favored media simply not covering it.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I gotta call bull pucky on this one. They didn't ignore it. They immediately vilified the NFL and NBA so people would forget about it:

Trump to visit devastated Puerto Rico, says he wasn't 'preoccupied' with NFL

4 tweets about Puerto Rico, 24 about the NFL. That's great deflection right there. "Look at the sideshow, folks, nothing going on in the big tent!"
Considering this more, I think Trump has the right priorities......
1) Waste his own time tweeting about vapid drama.
2) Send real aid to PR.
If he's going to offend people, at least this time it's people who don't own nuclear weapons.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
The article's spin doesn't change the fact that the federal government is aiding PR.
Leftish complaints are rooted in their favored media simply not covering it.
And "Heck of a job Brownie" was providing aid during Katrina. That was not my point. Sufficient attention and sufficient resources and sufficient attention by the administration and Congress is my point and all of that is not happening while even Republicans are pleading for more except of course for the government.

For example a law should be passed allowing foreign flag ships to dock there for the duration of the crisis. That should have already been done.

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
For example a law should be passed allowing foreign flag ships to dock there for the duration of the crisis. That should have already been done.
So, if this is such an important concern, why didn't Obama bother fixing it while he was in office for those incredibly long eight years?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
So, if this is such an important concern, why didn't Obama bother fixing it while he was in office for those incredibly long eight years?
BECAUSE PUERTO RICO WAS NOT A DISASTER BACK THEN. IT IS A DISASTER AREA NOW. THAT'S WHY

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
BECAUSE PUERTO RICO WAS NOT A DISASTER BACK THEN. IT IS A DISASTER AREA NOW. THAT'S WHY
So, have you contacted your state senator or member of congress? For the record, Puerto Rico has been a 'disaster' for many years. The hurricane simply made it obvious.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
So, have you contacted your state senator or member of congress? For the record, Puerto Rico has been a 'disaster' for many years. The hurricane simply made it obvious.
You said it so I didn't have to.
If Obama fails at something, it's because of obstructionist Republicans.
If Trump doesn't fail at something (aiding PR), some detail will be singled out for scorn.

Geeze...I just know this will convince some that I'm supporting Trump...just because I
pointed out that the OP is wrong about federal aid for PR. But a faux fact is still false.
It shouldn't get a pass just because Trump is so dislikeable.

Wirey

Fartist

It's actually an old law that states ships carrying goods between US ports must have US flagged vessels using US crews. It's called the James Act or the Jones Act, I forget which. I think James Earl Jones wrote it (not really). And the government can waive it. Clinton did when the Virgin Islands got hit in '95 (for two days). The government has chosen not to in this case, probably because the damage to infrastructure makes the port facilities available on the island dangerous, and a US ship would be covered by insurance, while any damage to a foreign flagged vessel coming from a US port would be the financial responsibility of the Puerto Rican government, who are not solvent.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Hasn't happened yet and a flyover doesn't count. You're one of those Trump voters we hear about.

esmith

Veteran Member
Hasn't happened yet and a flyover doesn't count. You're one of those Trump voters we hear about.
Your previous statement is still incorrect but you pick out one part and think you are correct on all. It doesn't work that way bucko.