• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Trump and Repub congress ignore Puerto Rico humanitarian crisis

tytlyf

Not Religious
Your previous statement is still incorrect but you pick out one part and think you are correct on all. It doesn't work that way bucko.
My previous statement is incorrect? Trump hasn't visited PR like he did TX or FL. Not a flyover, visit. My previous statement is correct because Trump hasn't been to PR yet. And a flyover doesn't count.

I'm sure conservatives are boiling over with madness knowing that Trump is doing anything for those people in Puerto Rico.

esmith

Veteran Member
My previous statement is incorrect? Trump hasn't visited PR like he did TX or FL. Not a flyover, visit. My previous statement is correct because Trump hasn't been to PR yet. And a flyover doesn't count.

I'm sure conservatives are boiling over with madness knowing that Trump is doing anything for those people in Puerto Rico.

So, you are now a fortune teller, glad to see you are improving yourself.
Got any facts other than your opinion that conservatives are mad about the aid to Puerto Rico? Didn't think so. Might try improving your opinion generating sources.

tytlyf

Not Religious
So, you are now a fortune teller, glad to see you are improving yourself.
Got any facts other than your opinion that conservatives are mad about the aid to Puerto Rico? Didn't think so. Might try improving your opinion generating sources.
Trust me, white nationalists view brown people (especially that speak spanish) as welfare slugs. Contribute nothing to society and America shouldn't help them.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Fake news
Do you really believe that? Have you listened to the comments by both the governor of PR and the mayor of San Juan especially dealing with all the red-tape they've encountered that have been holding up aid shipments?

And why did Trump almost immediately talk about helping Texas and Florida even before the storms hit and yet said nothing about PR and the American Virgin Islands for several days afterward? He certainly had time for a great many tweets on the NFL and other events.

Not "fake news", real news.

Kenny

Face to face with my Father
Premium Member
Do you really believe that? Have you listened to the comments by both the governor of PR and the mayor of San Juan especially dealing with all the red-tape they've encountered that have been holding up aid shipments?

And why did Trump almost immediately talk about helping Texas and Florida even before the storms hit and yet said nothing about PR and the American Virgin Islands for several days afterward? He certainly had time for a great many tweets on the NFL and other events.

I could be wrong... will check.

Kenny

Premium Member

Ok... here is the info. (Our church has many Puerto Ricans and we have someone who works in the Congress)

We already have 2200 marines on the ground, DOD, Fema and the Coast Guard there and more are being shipped. (Coast Guard had also left the Island to go to Gitmo for safety and had to get back)

Ports: The receiving ports for PR were filled with derelict boats. They could not enter until the cleared the boats out. The problem isn't that help isn't being sent but rather boats couldn't get in to leave their cargo. This is now taken care of in the commercial San Juan port. Two light cargo ports were just opened but more work to be done. We could send 100 cargo ships and they would basically just sit out there for two reasons... incapacity to unload since only one port is working and because of no ability to bring it to point of need because of roads.

In Fl and Texas, that wasn't a problem because ports were open and roads were fine.

Three military ships are already there and more are coming. Maria is a hurricane again and the ships that will be sent that are located in the NE have to wait until it passes.

Fl and Tx did not have that problem.

Roads: Bridges out (no alternative routes), electric poles in streets along with trees. Hard to get supplies out without clearing roads first. Working on it but the devastation is so great that it is slow moving. Bridges are out. There are 100 Army Corp of Engineers on the ground assessing bridges capacity that are viable. There isn't the "other ways to drive there" availability like it is in the US

200 gas tankers were able to supply gas to stations today. 400 are scheduled for tomorrow. Again, you have ships that can give gas but there is only one commercial port that can receive it.

Not like Fl and Tx where there were minimal poles and trees in streets. Also, unlike PR, states around can send trucks for help... no states around PR that can simply drive and help. And tankers were ABLE to get to their destinations unlike PR

Airfields: A MESS. They have been able to open 3 airfields (one that was closed before) and continue to work at opening them. Towers were damaged and that is an issue for more airplane movement..

Already sent cargo:
  • 17 C-5 Flights
  • 17 C-17 Flights
  • 5 C -130
  • Tomorrow another 15 flights
Unlike Fl and Tx where airlines were almost immediately opened to send supplies and move people

31 Generators have been installed (Hospitals first)
53 Ready to be installed
179 more generators being sent.

There are MANY things still moving towards PR but logistics, due to infrastructure, is making forward motion slow (unlike Fl and Tx)

So, taking into all things into account... under the very difficult circumstances, I would have to say that it was fake news.

Incidentally, we are a drop of point for PR and we are receiving monies for Cuba (we have someone on the ground there) if anyone is interested. (It doesn't matter if you are D or R or I... if you have a heart... help)

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member

No not real news only anti-Trump *****in'

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
It's actually an old law that states ships carrying goods between US ports must have US flagged vessels using US crews. It's called the James Act or the Jones Act, I forget which. I think James Earl Jones wrote it (not really). And the government can waive it. Clinton did when the Virgin Islands got hit in '95 (for two days). The government has chosen not to in this case, probably because the damage to infrastructure makes the port facilities available on the island dangerous, and a US ship would be covered by insurance, while any damage to a foreign flagged vessel coming from a US port would be the financial responsibility of the Puerto Rican government, who are not solvent.
And to piggy-back on this info, the problem isn't that there aren't enough American aid ships. The problem is that there's not enough space in the port for all of them. So allowing foreign ships in doesn't really solve any problem at this point.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
I think it would be great if Trump could use his pulpit to bring greater attention to Puerto Rico. That would be helpful; and his lack of attention is probably harmful in a small way.

But I do think it appears that the federal government is helping our little brother in a massive effort.

I heard on the radio that it could be up to 6mo before power is restored in some areas. That's really not acceptable. Could you imagine if it took that long in a state? There would be riots. Hopefully we can get them back on their feet more quickly than that.

And afterwafds, I hope this jump starts the conversation on their status. We need to either let them be their own country or welcome them as a state.

metis

Ok... here is the info. (Our church has many Puerto Ricans and we have someone who works in the Congress)

We already have 2200 marines on the ground, DOD, Fema and the Coast Guard there and more are being shipped. (Coast Guard had also left the Island to go to Gitmo for safety and had to get back)

Ports: The receiving ports for PR were filled with derelict boats. They could not enter until the cleared the boats out. The problem isn't that help isn't being sent but rather boats couldn't get in to leave their cargo. This is now taken care of in the commercial San Juan port. Two light cargo ports were just opened but more work to be done. We could send 100 cargo ships and they would basically just sit out there for two reasons... incapacity to unload since only one port is working and because of no ability to bring it to point of need because of roads.

In Fl and Texas, that wasn't a problem because ports were open and roads were fine.

Three military ships are already there and more are coming. Maria is a hurricane again and the ships that will be sent that are located in the NE have to wait until it passes.

Fl and Tx did not have that problem.

Roads: Bridges out (no alternative routes), electric poles in streets along with trees. Hard to get supplies out without clearing roads first. Working on it but the devastation is so great that it is slow moving. Bridges are out. There are 100 Army Corp of Engineers on the ground assessing bridges capacity that are viable. There isn't the "other ways to drive there" availability like it is in the US

200 gas tankers were able to supply gas to stations today. 400 are scheduled for tomorrow. Again, you have ships that can give gas but there is only one commercial port that can receive it.

Not like Fl and Tx where there were minimal poles and trees in streets. Also, unlike PR, states around can send trucks for help... no states around PR that can simply drive and help. And tankers were ABLE to get to their destinations unlike PR

Airfields: A MESS. They have been able to open 3 airfields (one that was closed before) and continue to work at opening them. Towers were damaged and that is an issue for more airplane movement..

Already sent cargo:
  • 17 C-5 Flights
  • 17 C-17 Flights
  • 5 C -130
  • Tomorrow another 15 flights
Unlike Fl and Tx where airlines were almost immediately opened to send supplies and move people

31 Generators have been installed (Hospitals first)
53 Ready to be installed
179 more generators being sent.

There are MANY things still moving towards PR but logistics, due to infrastructure, is making forward motion slow (unlike Fl and Tx)

So, taking into all things into account... under the very difficult circumstances, I would have to say that it was fake news.

Incidentally, we are a drop of point for PR and we are receiving monies for Cuba (we have someone on the ground there) if anyone is interested. (It doesn't matter if you are D or R or I... if you have a heart... help)
Yes, but there are two things missing here, with one being that Trump & Co. have not repealed the Jones Act like he did for Texas and Florida, which has slowed deliveries, plus there simply are not enough personnel on the ground to help with unloading and distribution as you mentioned. Since it was known at least two days before PR got hit that it was likely to take the full brunt of the hurricane, a smart move would have been to repeal the Jones Act and also to send the several thousand troops designated for Afghanistan to PR and the VI or from other bases besides the National Guard units coming in from several states. I think it's about 12 states that have actively responded to the need quite quickly but more people are definitely needed.

According to news sources yesterday, it was Kelly who lit a charge under Trump to speak out on the situation whereas he virtually ignored it, also reminding him that he needed to act and act now! But it's not just PR as the Virgin Islands have also been slow in help arriving even though it's now arriving much faster.

So, the question begs why Trump hasn't repealed the Jones Act as he did for Texas and Florida, why he didn't have troops ready for deployment being sent there as soon as possible, and why even the military hospital ship wasn't in position to get there sooner versus later (it's not to arrive until sometime mid next week)?

Thanks for your info, but it certainly is not "fake news", as more personnel are needed and more supplies need to arrive quickly, and the military is the best source for the former and ending the Jones Act would help with the latter.

tytlyf

Not Religious
Maybe in Trump's mind he doesn't consider Puerto Ricans to enjoy the same American citizenship as Texans and Floridians.
Trump's advisors know visiting Puerto Rico or paying any attention to the problem will upset his base. I'll bet it's a flyover.

Kenny

Premium Member
Yes, but there are two things missing here, with one being that Trump & Co. have not repealed the Jones Act like he did for Texas and Florida, which has slowed deliveries, plus there simply are not enough personnel on the ground to help with unloading and distribution as you mentioned. Since it was known at least two days before PR got hit that it was likely to take the full brunt of the hurricane, a smart move would have been to repeal the Jones Act and also to send the several thousand troops designated for Afghanistan to PR and the VI or from other bases besides the National Guard units coming in from several states. I think it's about 12 states that have actively responded to the need quite quickly but more people are definitely needed.

According to news sources yesterday, it was Kelly who lit a charge under Trump to speak out on the situation whereas he virtually ignored it, also reminding him that he needed to act and act now! But it's not just PR as the Virgin Islands have also been slow in help arriving even though it's now arriving much faster.

So, the question begs why Trump hasn't repealed the Jones Act as he did for Texas and Florida, why he didn't have troops ready for deployment being sent there as soon as possible, and why even the military hospital ship wasn't in position to get there sooner versus later (it's not to arrive until sometime mid next week)?

Thanks for your info, but it certainly is not "fake news", as more personnel are needed and more supplies need to arrive quickly, and the military is the best source for the former and ending the Jones Act would help with the latter.
I disagree - even antiTrump CNN disagrees with you as they said 10000 containers are stuck at the port because they couldn't unload it, no way to get it where they need it because of infrastructure

Repeal Jones Act a week before and you STILL have no additional capacity to deliver UNTILL infrastructure is corrected

So :) Fake News

Akivah

Why do I get the feeling that when Trump does visit PR, your blood will boil that his presence interferes with relief efforts?

Akivah

Oh, you mean this? Fact-checking Donald Trump on Hurricane Maria in Puerto Rico

Gov. Ricardo Rosselló sung Trump’s praises while pressing for further assistance. "Well, the president has been phenomenal in this situation," Rosselló said on CNN. "He's been, both in Irma and Maria, he has offered an pre- landfall emergency declaration. He's already declared most of the island a disaster area so that we can start the rebuilding process quickly. And he just said that he loved the people of Puerto Rico, and that he would help, that he would stand by us in our rebuilding process."

metis

I disagree - even antiTrump CNN disagrees with you as they said 10000 containers are stuck at the port because they couldn't unload it, no way to get it where they need it because of infrastructure

Repeal Jones Act a week before and you STILL have no additional capacity to deliver UNTILL infrastructure is corrected
But I covered that in my post.

So :) Fake News
Only to one with a "fake mind"! :p

metis

But if you read my response carefully, you might note that I was referring to the slow start and how the situation could have been ameliorated by quicker action by repealing the Jones Act, which Trump finally did yesterday, plus locating more troops in locations for quicker deployment to PR and the VI. Yes, as I covered in my post, the administration is now acting much more quickly as the PR governor said yesterday.

Below are some sources that have reported the slow start, and I made sure to include a non-American source as they wouldn't have any motivation for "fake news" on an American situation that doesn't involve them, or so I would assume.

Trump to visit Puerto Rico amid anger at his slow response: 'His racist neglect is threatening lives'

The federal emergency response in Puerto Rico has been slow, and there's a long way to go

Is the Federal Government Doing Enough for Puerto Rico?

Trump scales up Puerto Rico response amid criticism - CNNPolitics

Slow relief response in Puerto Rico could cost "hundreds of lives" - Videos - CBS News

Kenny

Premium Member
But if you read my response carefully, you might note that I was referring to the slow start and how the situation could have been ameliorated by quicker action by repealing the Jones Act, which Trump finally did yesterday, plus locating more troops in locations for quicker deployment to PR and the VI. Yes, as I covered in my post, the administration is now acting much more quickly as the PR governor said yesterday.

Not to be contentious :D repealing Jones act doesn't ameliorate the situation because you can't get boats into a port filled with derelict boats in the water (sunk) and a port that wasn't even able to receive goods

Marines were on the ground some time ago make headway... you just can't trip over boats and unload.

BUT... to give you some kudos... he could have temporarily repealed it before just so that things are set and ready... but I don't want to be too nice :confused: you might get used to it. :D

Last edited:

tytlyf

Not Religious
Not to be contentious :D repealing Jones act doesn't ameliorate the situation because you can't get boats into a port filled with derelict boats in the water (sunk) and a port that wasn't even able to receive goods

Marines were on the ground some time ago make headway... you just can't trip over boats and unload.

BUT... to give you some kudos... he could have temporarily repealed it before just so that things are set and ready... but I don't want to be too nice :confused: you might get used to it. :D
Do we have pictures of marines or boats in the port?

metis

But that's why having the military in position was so important since they can land materials w/o using ports or docks.

Yesterday, the governor said he had just appealed to the DoD for more military assistance because they're the only ones that could handle this quickly enough. Obviously, if the response had already been adequate, he would not have had to say as such.

Also, yesterday was the first day a general was appointed to coordinate the actions, and the former general who handled the cleanup of the mess for Katrina blew his stack yesterday when interviewed because of the slow and uncoordinated response thus far, according to him.

See above.

You, too nice! Whenever did that happen? ;)

BTW, did you by chance notice that I didn't criticize the administration's handling of the efforts in Texas and Florida? Why? Glad you asked. Because they were handled quite well, imo. :cool: