• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Theists Only) Why do you think atheists reject the existence of deities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guy Threepwood

Mighty Pirate
I have always been someone who was intensely interested in the occult and supernatural, so the existence of deities was never questioned. It's just something that I've always naturally believed in.

I've been on a journey from becoming a monotheist (Christian) to polytheist, and never once did I ever doubt the existence of the gods. It just does not register in me. It may sound arrogant (or even delusional!) but I can feel that they are real. To me, the gods are just as real as the earth and water around me.

I was watching a movie/documentary called 'The Atheist Delusion' (proselytizing is not something I support), and one question the man asked to the atheists was why they didn't believe in the Christian god. He suggested that it was their fear of responsibility to him. That question seemed rather profound and grounded in a truth they probably don't want to confront.

I also get the feeling from many of them that they don't like the idea of someone/thing greater than them having power over them. It's a typical rebellion in the oldest of mythological cycles (oh, the irony).

So, what does everyone else think?

It's an interesting point, by definition an a-theist position is more about being against the concept of God than defending any other belief on it's own merits.

One thing I have noticed, anecdotally but invariably, atheists have bad relationships with their fathers. I can't think of a single exception, including myself. I was an atheist when I was younger, and later improved my relationship with my father and God

Shaul

Premium Member
How, exactly? Often atheists have put a great deal of thought and consideration into their position, and reached atheism as a conclusion.
You missed it. An atheist doesn't have to reconcile with a religious framework. That makes things simpler.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
You missed it. An atheist doesn't have to reconcile with a religious framework. That makes things simpler.
I'm asking how it's simpler when atheists often put far more consideration into their position than theists, as well as having to defend themselves far more frequently than theists. They don't have a book telling what to do and what is moral, so they must consider a variety of sources and consider their actions independent of such an absolute source telling them what to do. I don't see how this is simpler.

Aštra’el

Aštara, Blade of Aštoreth
There are simple minded theists just as there are simple minded atheists. There are theists who are more inquisitive than others just as there are atheists who are more inquisitive than others.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
It's an interesting point, by definition an a-theist position is more about being against the concept of God than defending any other belief on it's own merits.

One thing I have noticed, anecdotally but invariably, atheists have bad relationships with their fathers. I can't think of a single exception, including myself. I was an atheist when I was younger, and later improved my relationship with my father and God

Hi there. Nice to meet you.

The same goes for belief in non-verifiable "-isms" as well. Nazism and Communism and any such doctrinaire twaddle that make proclamations of "truths" that cannot be adequately demonstrated to be true do the same.

Doctrines that must be accepted "on faith" are inevitably awful. .

I assume you don't think Humanism is awful, but it is also faith based.

I'm not even sure what an evidence based ideology would look like. We just like narratives and fit reality to our favourites.

Aiviu

I have always been someone who was intensely interested in the occult and supernatural, so the existence of deities was never questioned. It's just something that I've always naturally believed in.

I've been on a journey from becoming a monotheist (Christian) to polytheist, and never once did I ever doubt the existence of the gods. It just does not register in me. It may sound arrogant (or even delusional!) but I can feel that they are real. To me, the gods are just as real as the earth and water around me.

I was watching a movie/documentary called 'The Atheist Delusion' (proselytizing is not something I support), and one question the man asked to the atheists was why they didn't believe in the Christian god. He suggested that it was their fear of responsibility to him. That question seemed rather profound and grounded in a truth they probably don't want to confront.

I also get the feeling from many of them that they don't like the idea of someone/thing greater than them having power over them. It's a typical rebellion in the oldest of mythological cycles (oh, the irony).

probably, atheists see it as a mental virus causing their believers to act in evil when they fear that eternal life (or whatever) is not granted or in danger for them and their loved ones. they act revengeful and force others "their" way of life to restore their status of being granted. Aside money and greed atheists see this as a main reason of wars. Ridiculous is that they contradict the word "restoration" in their actions.

Atheists dont like this kind of believing resp. thinking, i guess.

Subtext: "It needs a religion which teaches the self and not others."

kind regards.

Maponos

Welcome to the Opera
To the atheists posting in this thread, please respect that this is a thread for theists only.

I think some people are confusing doctrines with deities. Deities exist independently of doctrines.

ak.yonathan

From what I've read on this forum and others the atheists seem to think that religion is just man-made and henceforth not trustworthy since man is fallible.

jonathan180iq

Deities exist independently of doctrines.

This statement of "fact" that you just provided is why atheists sometimes react the way that they do...

Simple challenge
Show me a single theistic argument, ever, in the history of theistic arguments, that definitively posits god as a possibility. Is there anything, anywhere, which proves that gods exist?

...?

I'll wager that even in your burgeoning polytheism you'll admit that there are gods (or at least god concepts) that you don't believe in. You and I agree in our disbelief of those deities. The only difference between you and I is that you have particular pet gods that you choose to hold on to. You obviously have the ability to rationalize some deities as being great inventions of cultural fictions - but you stop using that discernment when it comes to your gods of choice.

Am I right or am I right?

Atheists simply take that process one step further.

Any theistic opinion for why atheists don't believe in god(s) is going to be lacking. It will tell you a lot about the poster, but very little about Atheism. Don't ask a Mathematician to explain biology to you. Ask a biologist.

Milton Platt

Why don't you ask the atheists themselves instead of others who do not even know them?

Milton Platt

Christianity is revealed. Not everyone can see God, just like many people can't see the difference between red and green. I can't see ultra violet or infrared, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

While I'm sure that some see God and simply live in denial, I'm confident most are genuine in their disbelief. That's OK. God is love. God is unconditional love. Those that love have been touched by God, whether they want to admit it or not. Love is God's mark, his fingerprints if you will, on the human soul.

There are conditions attached to the Christian god's love, otherwise, the Bible and organized religion are unnecessary

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
From what I've read on this forum and others the atheists seem to think that religion is just man-made and henceforth not trustworthy since man is fallible.
Sorry for posting in a theists-only thread, but this is too serious a mistake to go unchallenged.

As a general rule, atheists tend to trust "fallible men" somewhat more than theists do. If for no other reason, because we have no choice.

It takes theism to make one long for an alternative.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
I think it goes a bit deeper than that, given how strongly many of them react to the existence of deities.

Well I'm inclined to disagree considering the answer I gave you is the one I've encountered more frequently than any other.

No one goes on a godsless crusade (lol) to spread atheism without deeper feelings to motivate them.

Stopping there would have been just fine since the rest is sheer conjecture.

Status
Not open for further replies.