• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

(Theists Only) Why do you think atheists reject the existence of deities?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I'm asking how it's simpler when atheists often put far more consideration into their position than theists, as well as having to defend themselves far more frequently than theists. They don't have a book telling what to do and what is moral, so they must consider a variety of sources and consider their actions independent of such an absolute source telling them what to do. I don't see how this is simpler.
It's hard to see why anyone would think that believing in a deity is simpler than not. After all, belief in the Christian God carries within it the fundamental problem of why, if God is all-good, all-powerful and acts in the world, evil exists. Theists have been twisting themselves into knots throughout history trying to develop theodicies that explain or vindicate this God. The problem is, every single one of these theodicies depends on some form of special pleading which any half-way competent philosopher can see through easily.

So Christians and Muslims (and perhaps Jews, not so sure there) have to bear with this very real cognitive dissonance -- usually by ignoring it or pretending it isn't there. Theologians, after all, don't explain their theodicies to congregations. The job of the clergy isn't to confuse the poor sheep, but comfort them, assure them that everything's all right with the world, so they'll come back with their collection plate money next week.

Atheists don't have to worry about this at all. If we assume that there's no god, and that everything is natural, there's nothing to explain. It's often not nice, but it's not a conundrum!

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Didn't you know? We established this just the other day in some other thread that only atheists are proper and correct authorities about theists, theism, religion, and theology. It was never satisfactorily explained why this is the case, but there you go. What we theists say doesn't matter. We're not qualified to talk about what we do. :D

At any rate, with respect to why atheists reject the gods, I'd rather they speak for themselves. Can I conjecture about what I observe as a theist? Sure. Do I feel comfortable doing that outside of the Theists Only private forum? Not really. So unless a thread goes there, I'm going to hold my peace, yo.
you can call it 'established'.....if it makes you feel 'superior'

i say a rogue theologian.....not having a religion....
could critique a belief AS a belief

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I have always been someone who was intensely interested in the occult and supernatural, so the existence of deities was never questioned. It's just something that I've always naturally believed in.

I've been on a journey from becoming a monotheist (Christian) to polytheist, and never once did I ever doubt the existence of the gods. It just does not register in me. It may sound arrogant (or even delusional!) but I can feel that they are real. To me, the gods are just as real as the earth and water around me.

I was watching a movie/documentary called 'The Atheist Delusion' (proselytizing is not something I support), and one question the man asked to the atheists was why they didn't believe in the Christian god. He suggested that it was their fear of responsibility to him. That question seemed rather profound and grounded in a truth they probably don't want to confront.

I also get the feeling from many of them that they don't like the idea of someone/thing greater than them having power over them. It's a typical rebellion in the oldest of mythological cycles (oh, the irony).

So, what does everyone else think?

I had no idea those groups existed before now.

I also posted this thread in the theism section to reach as many theistic users as I could.

To get back on topic..

Atheists also say (as we've witnessed) that it's just a matter of evidence to them. But why?

Many people in the world do not consider themselves religious but they also do not consider themselves atheists either. These people often say that they cannot deny that there are greater powers than us.

This shows that there is a basic human empathy in believing in something greater than us, but why are atheists so adamant about having concrete evidence?

I think it has to do with control and having something measurable. It's a desire to know exactly how something works so that it can be replicated and controlled.

Since faith and divinity do not operate on these terms, they cannot be replicated or controlled in the way these people want them to be. Basically, it's an endless search for conventional answers where there are none.

Many great scientists are actually not atheists. I think that as they attain more knowledge, they realize that there are power far greater than us and so reject atheistic doctrines (there have been prominent atheists who have done this).

Perhaps it all stems from a deeper sense of insecurity.

I didn't want to have to do this, but I shall henceforth be reporting posts that do not belong in this thread (as I have made clear in the thread's title).

I must reiterate the thread's title in that this isn't about religions but the gods themselves.

You create a topic where anyone can read and reply then proceed to paint us all with a broad brush saying that we are insecure and that we are afraid of being accountable, and then to finish it off you threaten us with a 'report' for participating in a topic where we are the subject being discussed.

You want to bash us without letting us say a word about it. This is beyond ridiculous.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Yes, for reasons that had nothing to do with 'in the name of no god!
I, along with the rest of the world disagree with you. They were persecuted and killed for believing in God. That was indeed, their only crime against the state. I get that this is not convenient for your premise, but your premise is simply false. Atheists have killed in the name of atheism just as some theists have killed in the name of their God. Simple or adamant denial will not make it untrue.
Quote mining now?
I reply to only that which interests me. You'll have to be more interesting if you want your entire post to be quoted. I don't feel compelled to do anymore than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.