• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Situation in Egypt

Debunker

I was there yesterday.
There wasn't any violence from our side, it was all from the police.
We tried to keep the place as clean as possible by collecting empty bottles and cans.
I never thought we would arrange such a civilized protest!
I believe we were more than 30,000 protesters in Cairo only. And certainly over 90,000 all across the country.

What breaks the heart is the official responses. National newspapers and official Representatives described us as "violent Islamists aiming at disturbing the stability of the country" and that we only few hundreds!

No one responded to our screams for change, no one cared about what we "want".

It really feels bad to see all the great efforts go in vein.

Twitter is blocked indeed, and rumors has it that Facebook is also going to be blocked soon.

What do you guys want? I am really curious.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member

Yeah i think its going to get pretty bad. There was a place here close to where i live which i was told that there might be a gathering for protest in, when i went there and even while there weren't anybody there was already like 11 of the big cars (i don't know what to call them) who carry those security guys (and it was loaded with them of course) and there was a firetruck, and some normal police cars, or patrol cars. They hanged around for a while and then left.

All this when there wasn't actually anything happening at all. It does seem like the government is going to come down pretty hard, which is very stupid, considering the circumstances.

croak

Trickster
Yeah i think its going to get pretty bad. There was a place here close to where i live which i was told that there might be a gathering for protest in, when i went there and even while there weren't anybody there was already like 11 of the big cars (i don't know what to call them) who carry those security guys (and it was loaded with them of course) and there was a firetruck, and some normal police cars, or patrol cars. They hanged around for a while and then left.

All this when there wasn't actually anything happening at all. It does seem like the government is going to come down pretty hard, which is very stupid, considering the circumstances.
Were those big cars armoured vehicles or more like small trucks?

I think they want to show people that they are there, and if anyone even considers doing anything, they will bring those forces in.

And yeah, I think they will come down hard. Doesn't seem like they know any other way to handle the situation, and short of Mubarak resigning, there might not be.

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Were those big cars armoured vehicles or more like small trucks?

I think they want to show people that they are there, and if anyone even considers doing anything, they will bring those forces in.

And yeah, I think they will come down hard. Doesn't seem like they know any other way to handle the situation, and short of Mubarak resigning, there might not be.

They were armored vehicles. Very big ones.

Its pretty sad that they are resorting to this, as i don't think people are going to back down, and rightly so, so it will get ugly. But i guess we should've expected this, i mean one of our main complaints already was the corruption within the law enforcement, so its no surprise.

MissAlice

I know this is coming all out of context and sounds stupid. I apologize if it offends anyone or is not in sync with the way this thread has been going. But I'm curious, I thought Egyptians were against democracy or at least that is what I have heard in the past from some Egyptians. I assume not every Egyptian agrees or disagrees with this blunt generalization I made. But I was wondering if this is something to do with religion or politics in general. What does democracy mean to the Egyptians and people of Tunisia?

Any input would be great.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
This is awful, i only have westernized media to judge whats going on but to all RF Egyptians stay safe and look after yourselves :)

Bismillah

Submit
I wonder if President Obama remembers his speech and promises in Cairo and I wonder if he will capitalize on the moment now to make good on them.

kai

ragamuffin
I wonder if President Obama remembers his speech and promises in Cairo and I wonder if he will capitalize on the moment now to make good on them.

What would you like him to do Abibi? will the Egyptians welcome American or any western interference or support for whoever? or whatever

Badran said:
Its pretty sad that they are resorting to this, as i don't think people are going to back down, and rightly so, so it will get ugly. But i guess we should've expected this, i mean one of our main complaints already was the corruption within the law enforcement, so its no surprise.
Can you give more specific examples of the grievances the protesters have with the Mubarak government?

Badran

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Can you give more specific examples of the grievances the protesters have with the Mubarak government?

Aside from people having enough from 30 years of rule by Mubarak, and wanting to make sure that his son doesn't take charge after him, people want better job opportunities or job opportunities for more people in other words. They want an end to the appliance of the emergency law, the prices to be dealt with.

Other things i heard is that also due to the corruption i mentioned in the law enforcement, people want the minister of interior out of his job. Those are basically the demands i've heard, there are however many other problems.

Debunker

What do the protesters want? Can anybody say? A protest is worthless if it is not defined.

I did hear on CNN and Fox this morning that Obama thought it would be a good time for the promised human rights be implemented in Egypt. I do not know what this means.

What does this mean to the people of Egypt? That is the real question.