• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Situation in Egypt

croak

Trickster
What do the protesters want? Can anybody say? A protest is worthless if it is not defined.

I did hear on CNN and Fox this morning that Obama thought it would be a good time for the promised human rights be implemented in Egypt. I do not know what this means.

What does this mean to the people of Egypt? That is the real question.
The BBC has been nice enough to provide that to us in a clear, easy-to-read format.

BBC News - Egypt's opposition pushes demands as protests continue

Bismillah

Submit
ka said:
What would you like him to do Abibi? will the Egyptians welcome American or any western interference or support for whoever? or whatever
Why must you support the West on every little detail, even when they are clearly wrong?

Here is what I have an issue with.

"And we saw that same desire to be free in Tunisia, where the will of the people proved more powerful than the writ of a dictator. And tonight, let us be clear: The United States of America stands with the people of Tunisia, and supports the democratic aspirations of all people."

Our dear President on freedom in the Middle East. Now where is that kind of statement for Egyptians?

The U.S has much leverage on the U.S, as is the case the 1.3 billion dollars that are now used to beat, torture, and kill protesters in Egypt. You think that isn't important to Egypt?

More U.S money is used to fund the Army and less for civil reform
Total bilateral funding for democracy and governance programming was reduced from approximately $50 million annually to only $20 million. Within this amount, the level of funding for civil society was cut disproportionately, from $32 million to only $7 million, and the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) adopted a policy of only funding those organizations officially registered and approved as NGOs by the Egyptian government. Moreover, the administration began negotiations on the possible establishment of an “endowment,” a fund advocated by the Egyptian government to remove Congressional oversight over future U.S. economic aid.
http://www.carnegieendowment.org/arb/?fa=show&article=40530

For God's sake make good on one promise and take a firm stance on Egypt, instead of putting Israel first as always.

And when I say 1.3 billion dollars I mean all 1.3 billion dollars used to kill and oppress these poor Egyptians.

“As for U.S. security and military aid to Egypt, which is about $1.3 billion annually, it does not aim to strengthen Egyptian military power against any external threat, as this would be contrary to the declared U.S. objective of ensuring Israeli security and maintaining Israeli military supremacy over its Arab neighbors, including Egypt. Instead, this aid is devoted mainly to strengthening the regime’s domestic security and its ability to confront popular movements.”

Last edited:

kai

ragamuffin
Why must you support the West on every little detail, even when they are clearly wrong?

Here is what I have an issue with.

"And we saw that same desire to be free in Tunisia, where the will of the people proved more powerful than the writ of a dictator. And tonight, let us be clear: The United States of America stands with the people of Tunisia, and supports the democratic aspirations of all people."

Our dear President on freedom in the Middle East. Now where is that kind of statement for Egyptians?

The U.S has much leverage on the U.S, as is the case the 1.3 billion dollars that are now used to beat, torture, and kill protesters in Egypt. You think that isn't important to Egypt?

More U.S money is used to fund the Army and less for civil reform Arab Reform Bulletin - Carnegie Endowment for International Peace

For God's sake make good on one promise and take a firm stance on Egypt, instead of putting Israel first as always.

And when I say 1.3 billion dollars I mean all 1.3 billion dollars used to kill and oppress these poor Egyptians.

I am not supporting the west here I am asking an important question. What do you want him to do?

President Barack Obama called on Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak on Thursday to make "absolutely critical" reforms, ratcheting up pressure on a key U.S. ally in the face of street protests seeking his ouster.
Weighing in for the first time after three days of Egyptian unrest, Obama was careful to avoid any sign of abandoning Mubarak but made clear his sympathy for demonstrators he said were expressing "pent-up frustrations" over the lack of meaningful change.
Obama and his aides are performing a delicate balancing act as political upheaval rocks the Middle East, from Egypt to Tunisia to Lebanon to Yemen, catching his administration off-guard and showing the limits of U.S. influence.
While making a point of describing Mubarak as "very helpful on a range of tough issues," Obama sent him a blunt message to heed the demands of anti-government protesters for broader democratic rights after decades of authoritarian rule.
"I've always said to him that making sure that they are moving forward on reform -- political reform, economic reform -- is absolutely critical for the long-term well-being of Egypt," Obama said as he answered questions from an online audience on the YouTube website.

Obama ratchets up pressure on Egypt's Mubarak - Yahoo! News

You must understand how worried washington must be if Egypt ends up under control of the Muslim Brotherhood ? i mean is there a credible opposition other than the MB?

The day part of the Internet died: Egypt goes dark:

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011...us-egypt-protest-internet-outage_8279764.html

Last edited:

xkatz

Well it looks our Egyptian members aren't going to be able to be on RF for sometime :( I hope they are ok.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I just got this off the MSNBC Website:

1) Open revolt on the streets.

2) Ruling political party's headquarters in Cairo is burning.

3) The military has joined in the effort to suppress the protesters.

May RF's Egyptian members come through this safe, sound and with the government they want.

It's weird... for almost certainly the first time in my adult life, I feel like praying.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Another one from MSNBC: "Clinton urges Egyptian Government to allow peaceful protests."

Jeebers! If -- and it's a big "if" -- Clinton and the US Government are saying the same thing behind the scenes as she just said publicly, then that would mean the US Government is not going to support or condone any violent repression of peaceful protests.

kai

ragamuffin
Another one from MSNBC: "Clinton urges Egyptian Government to allow peaceful protests."

Jeebers! If -- and it's a big "if" -- Clinton and the US Government are saying the same thing behind the scenes as she just said publicly, then that would mean the US Government is not going to support or condone any violent repression of peaceful protests.

I hope so !This could really be the wind of change on the one hand or a dream to the Islamists on the other its early days but i wish them well.

astarath

There is such great risk in this. There is a fine line between peaceful protest and militant activism. Prayers are needed for sure.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I hope so !This could really be the wind of change on the one hand or a dream to the Islamists on the other its early days but i wish them well.

Exactly!

Right now, I'm wondering if the US Government will actively diplomatically oppose any violent oppression of the protests -- say, by threatening to cut off military aide if there is violent oppression. Should the US take that step, the game just might -- might -- be over for the Egyptian Government.

Last edited:

England my lionheart

Rockerjahili Rebel
Premium Member

This is a big worry,if the MB, who are staunch supporters of Hamas did get in ,it could have a very adverse effect on the whole region,scary times ahead i think.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Egypt is the key to the whole log jam of middle Eastern politics.

If it loses its secular government, even Israel is in Trouble.

Alceste

Vagabond
Egypt is the key to the whole log jam of middle Eastern politics.

If it loses its secular government, even Israel is in Trouble.

The strongest opposition party (AKA, the most likely to seize the reins if Mubarak takes a powder) is the al-Ghad party, described on Wikipedia as "a centrist liberal secular political party pressing for widening the scope of political participation and for a peaceful rotation of power."

Sounds terrible!!! :rolleyes:

All this hysteria about the MB is ridiculous. (1) The MB is not the largest opposition group, (2) The MB is not a terrorist organization, they are a conservative Islamic group but that doesn't mean they are terrorists. (3) Israel is one of the strongest military powers in the world and the only nuclear power in the region, and they are backed by the U.S., I don't think a democratic Egypt is going to support war with Israel in the foreseeable future, I think Israel will be just fine.