• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Purpose of Religion

Nimos

Think it have changed slightly over time... in the beginning I think it was mainly to provide answers, which turned out to also be an effective "tool" of power. As religions seemed to loose it explanatory power as natural science started to kick off, it seem to have slowly turned into a way of providing hope and a way of providing alternative explanations to things that science can't answer. And now it seems to be turning into something that is rarely questioned and for some, it have the same explanatory capabilities as science does. It doesn't seem to matter all that much whether or not the teachings are rational or coherent to whether people chooses to believe it or not.

Said in another way, it seems as if religion, at least in some countries, are turning more fundamental rather than rational, meaning that scriptures seems to be valued higher than proof and logic.

So in my opinion, religion in present times, seem to be something that provide people with false hope, it make people "lazy" in pursuing of the important questions, because why look for them, if God did it?

This is obviously on a very general basis as it changes vastly from religion to religion. So it is simply based on what tendency there seem to be as I see it.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
To provide actual aids (rituals, images, texts, doctrines, traditions, etc.) to people for the purpose of helping them live their lives according to their chosen theological beliefs.
Quickie question for you...what percentage of real people, all over the world and throughout history, do you think actually "chose" their own "theological beliefs," as opposed to the percentage that were essentially "imprinted" with them in childhood?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
What, in your view, is the purpose of religion?
To provide an map for the path to moksha.

This is my personal view. Looking at it from the wider perspective, I see no clear purpose in religion that would suit all faiths. In comparative studies, work has been done to show all the different purposes according many religions. I searched for a bit to find one, but my searching skills must be off today. But in that vein, any purpose for any adherent is fine by me.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Quickie question for you...what percentage of real people, all over the world and throughout history, do you think actually "chose" their own "theological beliefs," as opposed to the percentage that were essentially "imprinted" with them in childhood?

There are other alternatives ... (well at least one, as 'neither is the my response given just the 2 choices) Sometimes it just happens. If a person gives you a car, you end up owning that car, but it wasn't really your choice. Sometimes experiences in life bring a religion to you.

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
Religion in general should help improve the human condition for everybody.

Should non religious people expect religious people to revise their faith or extinguish it altogether?

Religion is very personal. Can religion and science coexist?

Perhaps an updated, and revised religion would have something to offer. A more flexible and amendable religion might serve a purpose.

Between science and religion they all have to update over time to remain explanatorialy useful.

I do believe we need organizations with the sole intent of helping people. Religion should become more universal and far less mythological as if historical.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I would agree that happens but i think very rarely

Personally ChIristneM, I see it is very common, most Baha'i were of another or no Faith, each will tell how the Faith visited them, most were not looking, some special souls were and are looking.

Strange how. It unfolds over time. RegardsTony

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
There are other alternatives ... (well at least one, as 'neither is the my response given just the 2 choices) Sometimes it just happens. If a person gives you a car, you end up owning that car, but it wasn't really your choice. Sometimes experiences in life bring a religion to you.
A non-answser to my question.