• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Origin of Complex Life Forms and Their Purpose

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
In another thread, a poster said the following.

"I didn’t start believing in the existence of God because some religion said so. What made me a believer was my study of science. The more I learned about how the universe works, specially life forms, the more I realized how incredibly connected and complex everything is. There is so much intelligence, so much creativity and so much purpose behind everything that I couldn’t believe it happened without someone designing it.
That's the base of it. I could develop this subject but there is so much material I would rather do it on a separate post."

I am setting my beliefs and knowledge aside for a moment to solicit thoughts on why it would require intelligence and creativity to create complex beings and to understand what purpose is behind this, and why this would be more plausible to an individual than evolution through natural selection.

This thread was not created as a call-out. The poster offered to expound on this, and I asked her if she would be kind enough to participate in this thread and share her thoughts. I welcome anyone else's thoughts on this as well.

ETA: I neglected to include the fact that the poster mentioned above claims to be well studied on the theory of evolution.

Last edited:

leibowde84

Veteran Member

"I didn’t start believing in the existence of God because some religion said so. What made me a believer was my study of science. The more I learned about how the universe works, specially life forms, the more I realized how incredibly connected and complex everything is. There is so much intelligence, so much creativity and so much purpose behind everything that I couldn’t believe it happened without someone designing it.
That's the base of it. I could develop this subject but there is so much material I would rather do it on a separate post."

I am setting my beliefs and knowledge aside for a moment to solicit thoughts on why it would require intelligence and creativity to create complex beings and to understand what purpose is behind this, and why this would be more plausible to an individual than evolution through natural selection.

This thread was not created as a call-out. The poster offered to expound on this, and I asked her if she would be kind enough to participate in this thread and share her thoughts. I welcome anyone else's thoughts on this as well.
Personally, I see no reason to jump to the conclusion that intelligent design is in any way necessary to explain life as we see it. Evolution by natural selection makes sense, there is a plethora of evidence supporting it, there has not been any contradictory evidence found, and there is no verifiable, testable evidence for any creator.

It Aint Necessarily So

Veteran Member
Premium Member
The quoted argument makes two logical errors.

It begins with an incredulity fallacy. She can't see how, therefore it is impossible, and therefor God.

The second fallacy is to posit something infinitely more complex than a cell to account for cells because they seem too complex to exist undesigned and uncreated.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I will say this that we are able to design things, although to design anything very complex we need multiple people and computers. Design as we know it is labor intensive. It begins with a good set of assumptions and guesses, followed by testing, then more design, then more testing and so on. The sculptor works with the material. The artist works with the limitations of the paint and canvas. Actually the process of design and the process of evolution are almost identical. The only real differences are the toolsets and the timescales, and I think that is why evolution has so much appeal in the first place.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
The quoted argument makes two logical errors.

It begins with an incredulity fallacy. She can't see how, therefore it is impossible, and therefor God.

The second fallacy is to posit something infinitely more complex than a cell to account for cells because they seem too complex to exist undesigned and uncreated.

I probably should have mentioned in the OP that the poster mentioned claims to be well studied on the theory of evolution. I'll go back and edit it.

Sapiens

Polymathematician
The poster in that other thread is making an: Argument from Incredulity

(also known as: argument from personal astonishment, argument from personal incredulity, personal incredulity)

Description: Concluding that because you can't or refuse to believe something, it must not be true, improbable, or the argument must be flawed. This is a specific form of the argument from ignorance.

Logical Form:

Person 1 makes a claim.

Person 2 cannot believe the claim.

Person 2 concludes, without any reason besides he or she cannot believe or refuses to believe it, that the claim is false or improbable.

Example #1:

Marty: Doc, I'm from the future. I came here in a time machine that you invented. Now, I need your help to get back to the year 1985.

Doc: I got enough practical jokes for one evening. Good night, future boy!

Explanation: Clearly Marty is making an extraordinary claim, but the doc's dismissal of Marty's claim is based on pure incredulity. It isn't until Marty provides the Doc with extraordinary evidence (how he came up with the Flux Capacitor) that the Doc accepts Marty's claim. Given the nature of Marty's claim, it could be argued that Doc's dismissal of Marty's claim (although technically fallacious) was the more reasonable thing to do than entertain its possibility with good questions.

Example #2:

NASA: Yes, we really did successfully land men on the moon.

TinFoilHatGuy1969: Yea, right. And Elvis is really dead.

Explanation: The unwillingness to entertain ideas that one finds unbelievable is fallacious, especially when the ideas are mainstream ideas made by a reputable source, such as a NASA and the truthfulness of the moon landings.

Exception: We can't possibly entertain every crackpot with crackpot ideas. People with little credibility or those pushing fringe ideas need to provide more compelling evidence to get the attention of others.

References:

Bebbington, D. (2011). Argument from personal incredulity. Think, 10(28), 27–28. https://doi.org/10.1017/S1477175611000030

thanks to: Argument from Incredulity

Laika

Premium Member

ETA: I neglected to include the fact that the poster mentioned above claims to be well studied on the theory of evolution.

I'm not a creationist but I think the idea of intelligence and a designer may be far more relatable to our everyday experience. It is hard to think in evolutionary time scales of thousands, millions or billions of years. I think that creationists argue that humans have not "observed" history over these time scales but "inferred" it. They can then point of "gaps" in the fossil record to show that the inference is not telling the whole story but is selective or biased.

Our knowledge of human history is pretty limited and often focused on the written record. Most of humanity was illiterate and so left no record of their existence for us to read. We may find artefacts like coins or pots, but these are still very small fragments of people's everyday lives. There are over 100 billion people thought to have ever lived. If you were to try and sit down and write a list of every single person you could name, had met, had ever heard of, you would not likely come up with even 1% of that total (1 billion people) or even 0.001% (1 million people). Apply that kind of principle to the fossil record and think about how many species may have ever existed, our knowledge clearly is still going to be a small fraction of it. It asks bigger questions about the nature of knowledge and whether there is an arrogance at the heart of mankind's understanding given our limitations. How much can science really know and how certain can we really be?

You also face the problem of trying to grasp how something turns into another. When it a dog a wolf? When is an ape a man? Creationism is a lot simpler in that you can take the fixed nature of our experience ("a dog is a dog") and say that dogs must have always been dogs. Bluntly, if you walk up to a dog and pet him/her, if someone told you that dogs were the breed by humans for certain traits- its a bit hard to imagine when you're faced with the animal sitting right in front of you. It takes quite a leap of abstraction to think that. bones, flesh, muscle, hair all "morphing" into one species or another. assuming that dogs were always dogs, that all species remained the same (as we see them being the same) we then search for a cause for the existence of fixed definition of species. So we use "God" as an explanation.

Again, I'm not a creationist, but I can sort of see how someone could find their way to that view. Historically, creationism was the norm and there were "smart people" before the scientific method. Creationism has the benefit of being simpler and relatable based on our own experiences and projection man's creative capacity on to a deity as part of "nature". I think there is a danger that in debates between "evolutionists" and "creationists", we take too much for granted and rather than try to imagine how we might reach their view, simply shut the conversation down as "stupid", "crazy", "insane" etc. Evolution is still a hundred and fifty years old- there's many much older belief systems (debatably more "primitive") that is has to compete with about how we gain knowledge. The level of abstraction involved in Evolution (as well as scientific theories) does raise questions about how we can "know" one thing leads to another in reality and not simply in logic as a kind of mental arithmetic. Sure 2+2=4, but how do you represent a number like 4,567,120,361,934.02 ? What does such a concept even correspond to in our own observation and experience? Or as Buddhist may put it- when does an open palm become a fist?

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member

To me you are missing a point that's true at least for me. I believe in God and in natural selection - the "God is who, evolution is how" stance. The intelligence in the design is built into the original laws of the universe. And to me God does not violate the laws he designed in the first place.

PureX

Veteran Member

I am setting my beliefs and knowledge aside for a moment to solicit thoughts on why it would require intelligence and creativity to create complex beings and to understand what purpose is behind this, and why this would be more plausible to an individual than evolution through natural selection
Everything that exists, exists because order, in the form of limitation, is being imposed on the expression of energy. If energy were purely chaotic, nothing could exist within it but chaos. And in fact, the chaos, itself, could not logically be said to "exist" in that circumstance.

Existence requires both organization and effort to occur and maintain. And these are characteristics are the essence of 'design'. The whole universe is an expression of 'natural design'. Quantum mechanics is an expression of natural design. Evolution is an expression of natural design. "Natural selection" is a part of that design. And all with all design, it intends to achieve a purpose. In this case, the purpose of the design is to generate, conform, and perpetuate life.

Nous

Premium Member

I find the complexity and simplicity and interdependence of the laws of nature that we know of so far rather mind-boggling and awe-inspiring. No modern (or ancient) human would begin designing a world by starting out with quantum mechanics. We still don't even know what is the "correct" interpretation of the wave function and the violations of local realism. It seems unlikely that any modern or ancient human would have thought up the laws of conservation of quantities such as energy and momentum as the most basic laws. And, of course, we don't know of any laws that entail the necessary formation of DNA. And what the hell produces consciousness and free will? There's plenty room for wonderment in the whole thing.

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
Isn't it interesting how folks can take similar starting points and end up following different paths? I sympathize with the quotation in the opening post in that my love of science absolutely inspired my journey into religion. You can't study biology - or any natural science, really - and not develop a sense of how amazing it all is. The lesson of interconnectedness is especially strong in ecology, the area I studied most. I took this information in a different direction, however.

I had the fortune of encountering more diverse theologies as I was studying biology in undergrad. In particular, I learned about the theological concepts called transcendence and immanence, and that "god" did not have to be "behind nature" (transcendence) but instead could be nature itself (immanence). Instead of anthropomorphizing some external intelligence behind nature, I decided nature is that intelligence, so to speak. I don't tend to use the word "intelligence," though - anthropomorphizing is a very useful narrative device for understanding the gods, but it has its limits. I wouldn't be one to say nature (aka, the gods) require what humans call intelligence or creativity to be what they are.

Alas, the words "intelligence" and "creativity" can be highly nuanced in their meaning, so I'd have to clarify what folks really mean by them first.

Vee

Premium Member

First, thanks for posting this. I had it in mind to do it myself but I’m happy you gave me the motivation. The biggest challenge for me is to not make it too long. I chose only 3 issues to address otherwise this would have to become a book.

The origin of life

Scientists believe that the first cells emerged in the ocean, result of a spontaneous chemical reaction between non-living elements that somehow managed to form complex molecules, so complex they were able to work together and make cells.

With all the technology we have available today, in the controlled environment of a sophisticated lab, with brilliant scientists creating and manipulating the experiments, no one has been able to produce the elements believed to exist back in those days, provoke a chemical reaction between them and create living cells afterwards. Imagine it happening by chance.

Knowing that in order to survive, a cell needs RNA, DNA and proteins to work in sync, what is the probability of having these elements appearing by chance at the same time, in the same place and with the ability to self-replicate? It is easy to talk about “simple life forms, or “simple” cells, but the truth is: there’s no such thing as a simple cell, much less a simple organism.

The human body contains around 100 trillion cells of different kinds, each with its own structure and function. Our body is a network of cells, brilliantly organized, working together nonstop from the moment the embryo is formed until the moment the person dies.

The same way this works for humans, it works for all other species. Every living thing is a feat of engineering, so much so that engineers study animals and plants, to create things that imitate their features (ex the wings of airplanes, contact lenses, fabrics, etc). Am I expected to believe that those life forms appeared by chance? That the human brain is the fruit of many coincidences?

All forms of life have the same origin.

Even though no one really knows how the first living cells originated, for many people it seems reasonable to believe that those few original cells gave rise to the millions of species alive today.

We know that all organisms within a single species are related through descent with modification. We see this in our own families, and plant and animal breeders see it in their work. It is undeniable that mutations occur in species, but does descent with modification explain the origin and diversification of all living things? Do mutations really produce entirely new species?

We know that some DNA mutations are neutral (they have no effect at all) but the clear majority is harmful, often leading to the weakening and premature death of the organism. In the struggle for survival, natural selection would have to ignore the first and eliminate the second, leaving only the mutations that favor the organism.

Again, scientists have tried to replicate this. In several studies they artificially induced human selected mutations that would favor the organism but after many years of research, they didn’t succeed in creating any new species, only different breeds of the existent ones.

What are the odds that chance succeeded in something that intelligent scientists were unable to do, not only once, but millions and millions of times, since there are millions of species alive today, believed to have evolved from a common ancestor?

That leads me to the 3rd issue.

The fossil record

When Darwin wrote The Origin of the Species, the oldest known fossils were from the Cambrian period. But the Cambrian fossil pattern didn’t fit Darwin’s theory. Instead of starting with one specie that diverged gradually over millions of years into families, orders, classes then phyla, the Cambrian starts with the abrupt appearance of many fully formed phyla and classes of animals. So, complex biological forms appeared right at the start.

Darwin was aware of this problem but he hoped that more data would be found to support his theory. Since that time, further exploration has turned up many layers of the earth older than the Cambrian. Paleontologists have also found Cambrian rocks in Canada, Greenland and China with well preserved fossils. Thanks to that improved knowledge many paleontologists are now convinced that the major groups of animals did appear abruptly in the early Cambrian. The fossil evidence is so strong that this event has become known as “biology’s big bang”. Ancestors or intermediaries are still unknown or unconfirmed for any of the phyla or classes appearing in the Cambrian period.

There are other problems with presenting fossils as proof for evolution, such as the comparative size and the evidence that these creatures are related, since they are separated by millions of years. With such a big interval of time separating the fossils, it is very difficult to establish a connection between them.

This is as simple as I can make such a complicated, vast subject. I would like to finish with a quote from Richard Dawkins, from the book The Blind Watchmaker: (biology) is “the study of complicated things that give the appearance of having been designed with a purpose”. Dawkins implies that although living things look like they were designed, in fact they weren’t. I believe that living things appear to have been designed and they were.

Dawkins states that “Darwin made it possible to be an intellectual fulfilled atheist”. He has the right to profess atheism and to make it intellectually fulfilling. But atheism is not science.

PS – I think I failed at not making it too long.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
We stand witness to a flowering that takes us from the Big Bang's Nucleosynthesis to Beethoven's 9th Symphony and many, with near comical confidence and cockiness, nod knowingly and proclaim natural selection as the wholly sufficient explanation. Others, while fully recognizing and embracing natural selection as an elegant and powerful paradigm, realize that the cockiness is ill founded.

Given a cosmos that acts the way it does we can comprehend a universe that manifests itself the way it does. But this begs the question and calls to mind Einstein's famous quote:

“The eternal mystery of the world is its comprehensibility…The fact that it is comprehensible is a miracle.”

Far too little thought is given to what is being said here.

leibowde84

Veteran Member
I probably should have mentioned in the OP that the poster mentioned claims to be well studied on the theory of evolution. I'll go back and edit it.
Why does it matter that she claims to be well studied on the theory of evolution? Is there any indication that is actually the case?

Nous

Premium Member
Do mutations really produce entirely new species
Is your answer to that question "No," or "Apparently not?"

As far as I know, there are still disagreements on how to define "species". There may not be an entirely bright line--even though we can be sure that bears are of a different species than frogs. Does that uncertainty in the definition (or defining moment) of "species" make a difference in the answer to your question?

If each species were designed by some sort of special effort or act, then why kill off 99% of all species?

BTW: someone posted this article in an OP not long ago: Life Is Inevitable Consequence Of Physics, According To New Research Let's say it's true that if you shine a light on a clump of atoms long enough, you eventually get an energy-harvesting/-storing group of cells. Would that ruin your points above? (I think Henri Bergson and Hegel, et al., would have loved the idea of the inevitability of life.)

VioletVortex

With something like DNA, there's an endless array of potential developments. Let's take the first single celled DNA based organism on earth. It's genetic coding is extremely simple, but it has the ability to replicate that DNA, and the replica will obviously not be completely accurate. Then, the errors will self perpetuate through the generations. Sorryomewhere in the vast number of small errors, sexual reproduction developed, creating more potential for variance. Overtime, things got more complex.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
When Darwin wrote The Origin of the Species, the oldest known fossils were from the Cambrian period. But the Cambrian fossil pattern didn’t fit Darwin’s theory.
Darwin did his studies almost 200 years ago and with very little to go on. Our studies have advanced significantly since then, and the amount of evidence we now have is monumental.

The fossil evidence is so strong that this event has become known as “biology’s big bang”. Ancestors or intermediaries are still unknown or unconfirmed for any of the phyla or classes appearing in the Cambrian period.
Once cells began to fuse and work together, all sorts of possibilities could arise, and this is undoubtedly what we're seeing in the fossil record that preceded that period. No surprise if one understands this basic process.

But atheism is not science.
Neither is theism.

Vee

Premium Member
Then, the errors will self perpetuate through the generations. Sorryomewhere in the vast number of small errors, sexual reproduction developed, creating more potential for variance. Overtime, things got more complex.

I find it very hard to think of all the living creatures in this planet as the result of a succession of somewhat happy random errors.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member

As I stated on another thread. Creation and Evolution don't have to be mutually exclusive. Seems to me most people think that the ideas are mutually exclusive. And I'll use the same examples of the jugular valve of the giraffe, and woodpecker tongues to provide examples.

The giraffe has long neck, which requires a large heart to push blood up the neck against gravity. But when a giraffe lowers its head to drink water the blood is now flowing downhill with gravity. Without the giraffes jugular valves to restrict blood flow to its brain, it would probably die. Now all 3 of these systems must be in place at the same time. The neck and heart naturally evolved together as needed. But the valves are not needed until the neck to heart ratio reached a certain point. How is the organism know to adapt to a condition that it is not currently experiencing. This would mean the organism would have to predict it needed the useless valve thousands or tens of thousands of years in advance so that when the neck was long enough, and the heart was large enough, that a valve would be needed to restrict the increased blood flow from lowering its head, below its body to drink.

Also:
20170927_173737.png

And many other examples of possible creation. As it would take many thousands of years of evolution to develop a tongue like this. Which is not plausible because the woodpeckers tongue evolved with its beak and its nature, to drill small holes in trees to then slip its tongue into and collect bugs for food.

Last edited:

Quintessence

Consults with Trees
Staff member
Premium Member
I find it very hard to think of all the living creatures in this planet as the result of a succession of somewhat happy random errors.

The process of biological evolution isn't random, though. Natural selection is quintessentially non-random. It has to be in order to actually work.