• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The new Athiest Humanities downfall?

Is the new Athiest Humanities downfall?

• Yes it is!

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • No it isn't!

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Yes but I will explain more.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No but I will explain more.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I offer a different view.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The subject is more complex.

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

John D. Brey

I never ran across a militant atheist, let alone one
suffering the hyperbole of dogmatism.

. . . They're rude, condescending, and think they're much smarter than they appear to be. And of course if they don't see that in the mirror they won't run across it elsewhere.

John

Sheldon

Veteran Member
That’s the magic fairy dust of Atheism, life creating itself.

That's not atheism, atheism involves not knowing how life originated, atheists just don't indulge unevidenced archaic creation myths involving inexplicable magic, and laughably pretend this is more probable than a natural phenomenon we have yet to understand. Oh and life "creates itself" every second of every day, Google "the birds and the bees".

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Just to be certain, because I get the feeling that you are mixing together some things here. Critical thinking is not something that is solely connected to science and evidence, its a method of approaching arguments, which in most cases have nothing to do with science at all.

Okay, what is your take on his claim that we can use evidence on making decisions? Does that have any limit or does it apply to all decisions?

Sheldon

Veteran Member
. . . They're rude, condescending, and think they're much smarter than they appear to be.

:D Irony? It's hilarious that every single one of these accusations of rudeness ends in a petty insult.

And of course if they don't see that in the mirror they won't run across it elsewhere.

A rather laboured piece of circular reasoning, indulging yet more petty ad hominem, none of which is as egregious as the superfluous word "and" at the start of that sentence. A real own goal, if you're going to make sweeping insults about other people's intellect.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The Atheist delusion is the belief that life invented itself in a Godless universe, means nothing and is going nowhere.
Well, one must suppose if dinosaurs had developed any intelligence and sense of introspection, they might have had that belief themselves -- and been totally correct! :p

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member
Actually, I am finding that in spite of their often proclaimed agnosticism, many atheists are extremely gnostic in that they assume that if God existed, they would be able to know it via some inevitable, discernible (by them), "evidence". And in fact they constantly site the lack of such evidence as their reasoning for presuming that no gods exist (also NOT agnosticism). And they persist in this no matter how many times or ways it is explaining to them that the lack of evidence is not evidence of a lack. Also, they venerate "objective evidence" above all else, and completely ignore the fact that everyone is subjectively choosing what they label "evidence", as well as subjectively determining how much of this "evidence" is required to rise to the level of proof (for them). They unilaterally ignore the subjective nature of everyone else's thought process, while presuming their own subjective choices regarding evidence and proof are "objective" and are therefor unassailable. Another very clear example of gnosticism in the extreme.

Most atheists I know are agnostic about God in the same way they are about any other thing that hasn't been reasonably demonstrated. Such a thing may exist, but we have no reason to act like it does until such time as we have good reason to believe as much.

But I know the logic of this has been explained to you before, in excruciating detail. By me, even. So I really don't know how else to walk you through it. We just disagree.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Could you please provide some provenance for that story? I regret to say that I don't entirely trust its accuracy -- it sounds, how shall I say it, apocryphal.

It comes from the recordings of the stories told about Baha'u'llah by his son Abdul'baha, who shared his excile and imprisonment. This was during the time in Baghdád.

Some Answered Questions | Bahá’í Reference Library

This is that record.

Note at the end that this story will have other sources.

"It often happened in Baghdád that Muslim, Jewish, and Christian divines and European men of learning would be gathered in His blessed presence. They would each ask a different question and, despite their varying beliefs, would each receive so complete and convincing a reply as to be fully satisfied. Even the Persian divines residing in Karbilá and Najaf chose a learned man by the name of Mullá Ḥasan ‘Amú and dispatched him as their representative. He came into His blessed presence and asked a number of questions on their behalf, to which Bahá’u’lláh responded. He then said, “The divines fully recognize the extent of your knowledge and attainments, and it is acknowledged by all that you are without peer or equal in every field of learning. It is moreover evident that you have never studied or acquired this learning. But the divines say that they are not satisfied with this and cannot acknowledge the truth of your claim on the basis of your knowledge and attainments alone. They therefore ask you to produce a miracle in order to satisfy and assure their hearts.”
Bahá’u’lláh replied, “Although they have no right to ask this, since it is for God to test His creatures and not for them to test God, yet their request is in this case accepted and allowed. But the Cause of God is not a theatrical stage where every hour a new performance may be offered and every day a new demand presented. For otherwise the Cause of God would become the plaything of children.
“Let the divines, therefore, assemble and choose unanimously one miracle, and let them stipulate in writing that once it has been performed they will no longer entertain any doubt, but will all acknowledge and confess the truth of this Cause. Let them seal that paper and bring it to Me. They must fix this as the criterion of truth: If it be performed, they should have no remaining doubt; and if not, We shall stand convicted of imposture.”
That learned man arose and replied, “There is no more to be said.” He kissed Bahá’u’lláh’s knee, even though he was not a believer, and departed. Then he gathered the divines and conveyed Bahá’u’lláh’s message. They consulted together and said, “This man is a magician; perchance he will perform some enchantment, and then we will have no recourse”, and so they dared not respond.

Mullá Ḥasan ‘Amú, however, reported this fact in many gatherings. He left Karbilá for Kirmánsháh and Ṭihrán, where he provided all with a detailed account of this episode and spoke of the fear and inaction of the divines."

Regards Tony

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Respect for one another as being of equal value, the means to create wealth sufficient to feed, clothe, shelter and provide care for every person, a slightly more equitable way to share the wealth (resources) created -- without turning off the creative impulse that creates it (capitalism). A share in the decisions that must be made together (democracy). The desire that everyone has the right to choose their path, just as you do yourself, and perhaps willingness to help pick them up when the path proves to lead the wrong way.

A way to talk to one another so that we can be mutually understood (sometimes that requires art).

The recognition that we are one species, and interdependent -- much more so now, when we can save or destroy our entire planet, than we ever were before.

And a truly heart-felt desire that everyone should have the means to achieve what they wish for themselves, as you yourself would hope that you had.

Well to me you quoted what any Baha'i knows is a teaching of Baha’u’llah, so we'll done as we have the same goals, albeit in a different frame of reference.

Regards Tony

Nimos

First of all, I just realized that I actually didn't answer your question in the last reply, so will just do that here first:

https://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/0_0_0/whatisscience_12

You are correct that science doesn't answer moral questions, for instance we can use science to create an atom bomb which we can use to blow each other up, but science doesn't have a stance on whether that is morally right or wrong.

Okay, what is your take on his claim that we can use evidence on making decisions? Does that have any limit or does it apply to all decisions?
There are limitation whenever we have a lack of evidence, which means that the critical thought process will be less reliable and we might have to make use of less certain ideas or experiences to help make us make a decision.

So for instance, lets imagine a hostage situation and the negotiator is working with an unstable person, the negotiator have very limited knowledge about this person, but might have former experience from dealing with similar situations which might be useful or it might not. So the negotiator will be able to use critical thinking only with limited effect trying to figure out which approach might end in the best possible result.

But in cases where evidence is present, making use of critical thinking is highly useful. For instance, lets say that you are given the option to walk over a metal plate and can see fire underneath it, which you know will make it burn you. Clearly using the evidence or knowledge of fire and metal, will make you choose not to do it.

So using your wife as example, to the best of my knowledge, she will also use critical thinking to determine which approach is best in a given situation, should she lean on the religious stuff? or is it better with the other approach. But critical thinking about this as also stated above, doesn't say anything about whether this is moral right decision or not.

But we can use critical thinking when it comes to morality to judge and examine each others arguments. For instance, a person might argue that people of a specific skin color is worse humans than others are. But by using critical thinking, we can evaluate their argument. Which is also why I said that critical thinking might in fact be necessary in order to do moral evaluations in the first place, because it gives us a method or approach to do this.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Perhaps, but if you are planning to invest your hard-earned dollars somewhere, what do you look for? If you're trying to find a good school for your kids or grand-kids, what are your criteria? If you are buying a car, do you kick the tires or look for "divine revelation?" If you're planning to get down from the cliff while visiting a very beautiful canyon, do you look for a path or take the leap with full faith that God will get you to the ground safely?

I do not see that faith is based in ignorance. I see faith is based in sound and logical reasoning, which should be used in all aspects of life.

Regards Tony

RestlessSoul

As an agnostic, I don't think of the Soviet position on religion as an atrocity but Marx is one of the people responsible for it. Was he not?

I’m not sure he was, particularly. Did Marx have all that much to say about religion? I don’t know.

As for the USSR, Bolshevik policy was to oppose pretty much any institution that was associated with the Tsarist regime. Stalin prosecuted oppression of the church for ideological reasons, but it was also personal with him; he was a seminarian in his youth.

Anyway it didn’t work. The Russian Orthodox Church is now probably one of the most influential religious institutions in the world.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I suspect that some find our non-belief & preference
for secular government rather threatening. That can
create some animosity.
Oh yeah, I'm so scared. Yer fondness for antique machinery, some of which may have sharp blades, or fast spins, frightens me far more than that atheism thing, which is trivial, in comparison.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Well, you've got a mind. Instead of waiting for someone else to do it, why don't you use yours to "prove God?"

My mind found all the proof I need. What remains is the written word, it is the standard we can obtain to, in one post to me, things that can unite the world, you reflected what Baha'u'llah had offered is needed.

That to me is proof.

Regards Tony

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Oh yeah, I'm so scared. Yer fondness for antique machinery, some of which may have sharp blades, or fast spins, frightens me far more than that atheism thing, which is trivial, in comparison.
Big old engines can injure ya.
I've visited the hospital many times.
Eventually, I wised up. I'm safer now.

F1fan

Veteran Member
It's an issue for the exact same reason religious fundamentalism is an issue. We have people who are blindly and arrogantly appointing themselves the deciders of 'true reality' and are using that delusion to denigrate anyone who dares to contradict them.
I think it's more of an issue of atheists being able to articulate problems with religion and belief in the modern age, and theists not really able to respond in an equally successful way.

As long as they have no power in society to impose their delusional self-righteousness on others they are just annoying. [/quote}
Catholics? Evangelicals? Republicans? Anti-vaxxers?

But should these atheist fundamentalists ever get any real power they will be just as dangerous as any religious fundamentalists. Because the danger is in their presumed absolute self-righteousness, and in the blinding ignorance they employ to maintain it. And in their willingness to sacrifice others to that cause.
There's no real danger. I think you are just creating a boogeyman out of nothing but a threat to the reasons you are a theist. The only threat is towards being prideful as a theist.

RestlessSoul

I do not see that faith is based in ignorance. I see faith is based in sound and logical reasoning, which should be used in all aspects of life.

Regards Tony

Faith comes not solely from the intellect but also from the spirit, and the materialist who acknowledges mind and body but denies the existence of the spirit is, by definition, likely to remain ignorant of it. Indeed, in rejecting the possibility of there even being a soul, until he has first seen proof of it’s existence, such a person has chosen to remain in ignorance.