• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The new Athiest Humanities downfall?

Is the new Athiest Humanities downfall?

• Yes it is!

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • No it isn't!

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Yes but I will explain more.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No but I will explain more.

Votes: 6 17.1%
  • I offer a different view.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The subject is more complex.

Votes: 7 20.0%

• Total voters

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Where did he give up critical thinking, just so I know what event or what he said where you think he did this?

You can't make all decisions based on evidence. There is no theory/law of morality/ethics based on evidence. And he did that in the quote you gave from his website.

Nimos

You can't make all decisions based on evidence. There is no theory/law of morality/ethics based on evidence. And he did that in the quote you gave from his website.
No, he didn't.

Critical thinking is the real saviour of humankind. My foundation promotes respect for people who hold critical thinking as a cherished personal value and use it in day-to-day life.

Doesn't mean that you should critical think every single thing. Simply that one is aware and cherish the use of it as an everyday thing whenever possible, which makes perfect sense. Besides that you can use critical thinking in regards to morality and ethics, in fact I would say that it is highly beneficial if not necessary.

Colt

I have, on occasion, said to someone that "I don't believe you." Times, for example, when I've been told "the cheque's in the mail." How is that "religion bashing?

And @cOLTER, what on earth is "the Atheist delusion?"
The Atheist delusion is the belief that life invented itself in a Godless universe, means nothing and is going nowhere.

Colt

I can't want what is true, it doesn't work that way. Whatever is true is true on it's own merits, whether I like it or not, no wiggle room.
Well, that's kind of what I said "No, but something is true right? If something is true and if I am at odds with the truth, then I have no wiggle room." Are just argumentative for the sake of it?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Atheist organizations are pipsqueaks compared to religious &
political organizations. I don't know any atheists who belong
to an atheist organization.
I certainly don't.

I was, for sure, a member of the Canadian Humanist Association, but that is not an "atheist organization." It has lots and lots of atheists, but that is not what it is.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Considering you were created by God and live in his reality, being subject to truth is unavoidable.
Um, the process by which a human being is formed out of a single sperm and ovum is actually pretty well understood by now, and there doesn't much seem to be a lot of "creating" going on. Maybe you were cooked up, or perhaps turned out on a lathe, but most of us are here as a result of that old-fashioned biochemistry.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
There is more to life than objective evidence.

I am curious though, let's just say you lived in the time of Baha’u’llah, who claimed to be a Messenger of God. What objective evidence would you expect and request?

Regards Tony
Perhaps, but if you are planning to invest your hard-earned dollars somewhere, what do you look for? If you're trying to find a good school for your kids or grand-kids, what are your criteria? If you are buying a car, do you kick the tires or look for "divine revelation?" If you're planning to get down from the cliff while visiting a very beautiful canyon, do you look for a path or take the leap with full faith that God will get you to the ground safely?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
No, he didn't.

Critical thinking is the real saviour of humankind. My foundation promotes respect for people who hold critical thinking as a cherished personal value and use it in day-to-day life.

Doesn't mean that you should critical think every single thing. Simply that one is aware and cherish the use of it as an everyday thing whenever possible, which makes perfect sense. Besides that you can use critical thinking in regards to morality and ethics, in fact I would say that it is highly beneficial if not necessary.

The logical counter to religious extremism is people who rely on evidence to make decisions....

Critical thinking shows if you use it that you can't rely on evidence to make all decisions. And you can't use evidence on the following areas of human behaviour:
https://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/0_0_0/whatisscience_12

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Perhaps, but if you are planning to invest your hard-earned dollars somewhere, what do you look for? If you're trying to find a good school for your kids or grand-kids, what are your criteria? If you are buying a car, do you kick the tires or look for "divine revelation?" If you're planning to get down from the cliff while visiting a very beautiful canyon, do you look for a path or take the leap with full faith that God will get you to the ground safely?

Yeah, as long as you understand this. That religion is a bad deity is your subjective opinion, unless you can provide evidence for that.

Colt

Um, the process by which a human being is formed out of a single sperm and ovum is actually pretty well understood by now, and there doesn't much seem to be a lot of "creating" going on. Maybe you were cooked up, or perhaps turned out on a lathe, but most of us are here as a result of that old-fashioned biochemistry.
That’s the magic fairy dust of Atheism, life creating itself.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
That’s the magic fairy dust of Atheism, life creating itself.

That is one belief. There are others. I tend not to worry about that and really don't care about it one way or another.
Yet I am an atheist. So stop claiming atheism where it is not relevant.

Colt

That is one belief. There are others. I tend not to worry about that and really don't care about it one way or another.
Yet I am an atheist. So stop claiming atheism where it is not relevant.
I realize you are special and unique, so if something doesn’t apply to you then just ignore it.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
So what is needed to bring about the unity of the entire human race?

Regards Tony
Respect for one another as being of equal value, the means to create wealth sufficient to feed, clothe, shelter and provide care for every person, a slightly more equitable way to share the wealth (resources) created -- without turning off the creative impulse that creates it (capitalism). A share in the decisions that must be made together (democracy). The desire that everyone has the right to choose their path, just as you do yourself, and perhaps willingness to help pick them up when the path proves to lead the wrong way.

A way to talk to one another so that we can be mutually understood (sometimes that requires art).

The recognition that we are one species, and interdependent -- much more so now, when we can save or destroy our entire planet, than we ever were before.

And a truly heart-felt desire that everyone should have the means to achieve what they wish for themselves, as you yourself would hope that you had.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
OK I will ask again, here is your chance.

I am curious though, let's just say you lived in the time of Baha’u’llah, who claimed to be a Messenger of God. What objective evidence would you expect and request?

In case you are not aware Baha'u'llah already offered this Challenge to the Clergy and Leaders of Persia. He was willing to provide them with the evidence, all they had to do was decide on what they were going to ask Baha'u'llah to do.

Regards Tony
Could you please provide some provenance for that story? I regret to say that I don't entirely trust its accuracy -- it sounds, how shall I say it, apocryphal.

Nimos

Critical thinking shows if you use it that you can't rely on evidence to make all decisions. And you can't use evidence on the following areas of human behaviour:
https://undsci.berkeley.edu/article/0_0_0/whatisscience_12
Just to be certain, because I get the feeling that you are mixing together some things here. Critical thinking is not something that is solely connected to science and evidence, its a method of approaching arguments, which in most cases have nothing to do with science at all.