• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Great Wall of Trump

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
There are no "border laws" or "INS laws" there are just laws. I want to believe that most police officers will arrest law breakers and not try to decide who should or should not be arrested. That's for the courts to decide.

Up until recent years, oral sex between consensual partners (think husband and wife) was illegal in 14 states. My wife and I used to break the law several times per week. Was I morally obligated to arrest myself and her? Not that I wouldn't mind her being in handcuffs... ;):rolleyes:

If the speed limit is 40 and you drive 41, should I pull you over and cite you?

If you don't use your blinker to change lanes on the interstate, even when no one is around, but I see it from 1/4 of a mile away, should I pull you over as well?

If you think cops should enforce all laws just because they are laws, prepare to be disappointed. Like it or not, there is officer discretion.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Up until recent years, oral sex between consensual partners (think husband and wife) was illegal in 14 states. My wife and I used to break the law several times per week. Was I morally obligated to arrest myself and her? Not that I wouldn't mind her being in handcuffs... ;):rolleyes:

If the speed limit is 40 and you drive 41, should I pull you over and cite you?

If you don't use your blinker to change lanes on the interstate, even when no one is around, but I see it from 1/4 of a mile away, should I pull you over as well?

If you think cops should enforce all laws just because they are laws, prepare to be disappointed. Like it or not, there is officer discretion.

I understand this, but suppose I, as a citizen, demand you arrest yourself or the speeder who is obviously breaking the law? Sure, many laws are stupid and superfluous but they are laws just the same and should be enforced if pressed. It is not up to you to determine what laws are enforceable and which can be ignored; this is the court's ball of wax. If you don't like a law, lobby to get it changed, until then do what you are sworn to do.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
...until then do what you are sworn to do.

I do. But with discretion. Courts have already ruled in favor of discretion.

Under your example, you would drive us to a Nazi-like state. It is the law to arrest anyone named BSM1 and send them to a death camp where they would be gassed. I would be doing my duty by arresting you just because you have that name, knowing that I am sending you to your death. But the law is the law! It must be upheld. :rolleyes:

BSM1

What? Me worry?
I do. But with discretion. Courts have already ruled in favor of discretion.

Under your example, you would drive us to a Nazi-like state. It is the law to arrest anyone named BSM1 and send them to a death camp where they would be gassed. I would be doing my duty by arresting you just because you have that name, knowing that I am sending you to your death. But the law is the law! It must be upheld. :rolleyes:

Absolutely. If you suffer from constant moral dilemmas then perhaps you should try another career choice. As an officer of the law it is not your place to interpret the law as good or bad; we have the Supreme Court for that.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Absolutely. If you suffer from constant moral dilemmas then perhaps you should try another career choice. As an officer of the law it is not your place to interpret the law as good or bad; we have the Supreme Court for that.

Maybe you missed the part where I said the courts have already ruled in favor of officer discretion. :shrug:

Regardless, I am done. My point has been made. Nothing further to discuss.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Most often, they do the jobs the legals don't want to do. This is a benefit not a bad thing.
It is bad, there are million of American out of work, one reason they can't get a job is because of illegal immigrants taking those jobs that we are all told are not wanted by Americans, these people broke the law when they jumped the fence, simply they should not be there.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
If you suffer from constant moral dilemmas then perhaps you should try another career choice.
If you are a human being, particularly a Usonian, who doesn't suffer from moral dilemmas then you are not paying attention to the reality around you.
Tom

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Capitalism is always a meritocracy... until illegals can be blamed.

Perhaps the issue then is a lack of jobs, not the amount of illegal immigrants.

Saying they are taking "tax payer" money from this isn't very clear or fair.
Well we are talking about illegal immigrants, and the simple answer is, they should not be there, no use making excuses for them.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well we are talking about illegal immigrants, and the simple answer is, they should not be there, no use making excuses for them.
No.
Just No!
If we don't want them to get jobs here then we shouldn't hire them. The criminals here are the employers. They don't care about the country or the people, they only care about profits. Unemployment is great for them because it keeps wages down.
Tom

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
one reason they can't get a job is because of illegal immigrants
Yeah, I would love to see your data supporting that conclusion. I don't believe it exists. I'm guessing it's more emotional than empirical. All of the studies I have seen on the subject are mixed. CIS openly states that there isn't enough empirical data to determine it one way or the other. Obviously, it's not that big of factor if it can't be reliably quantified.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
No.
Just No!
If we don't want them to get jobs here then we shouldn't hire them. The criminals here are the employers. They don't care about the country or the people, they only care about profits. Unemployment is great for them because it keeps wages down.
Tom
Yes that is true, but if the immigrants were't there in the first place, it wouldn't happen, they would have to employ their own people, and therefore the unemployment would drop.