• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Great Wall of Trump

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Yes that is true, but if the immigrants were't there in the first place, it wouldn't happen, they would have to employ their own people, and therefore the unemployment would drop.
If we didn't hire them by the millions they wouldn't be here.
Or, to be more precise, if we had been enforcing the law against hiring them for the last 25 years they wouldn't have been given so many jobs.
Tom

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Yeah, I would love to see your data supporting that conclusion. I don't believe it exists. I'm guessing it's more emotional than empirical. All of the studies I have seen on the subject are mixed. CIS openly states that there isn't enough empirical data to determine it one way or the other. Obviously, it's not that big of factor if it can't be reliably quantified.
Yes we don't really know the full truth, but the thing is, they are breaking the law and should not be there, its that simple.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
but if the immigrants were't there in the first place,
You know, the Orlando Police Department made huge inroads to getting control of prostitution by arresting, charging and publishing the names of the Johns. If you make it embarrassing for the consumers then they won't be employing the illegals. Absolutely brilliant!

psychoslice

Veteran Member
If we didn't hire them by the millions they wouldn't be here.
Or, to be more precise, if we had been enforcing the law against hiring them for the last 25 years they wouldn't have been given so many jobs.
Tom
That is true also, and I hope Trump will finally sort the whole mess out.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
The thing is that it is happening, and you know that, so, what would you do to stop it ??>

I think it's worth examining something like the Bracero program, from the 60's, and seeing if a more modern version could be implemented.
I also think things like the existing E-verify system, or a similar means of assessing worker eligibility could be more cheaply implemented, with the onus on employers to mandatorily use it.
Finally, I think there should be a beef-up of the checks and policing of legal visa overstays, which account for a large portion of the illegal immigration anyway.

These measures would support each other, and I'd estimate they'd be considerably cheaper than a wall.

Similarly, there is nothing wrong with beefing up border security to some degree. I just don't see a physical wall which then needs to be maintained, and can be breached in remote locations as a sensible spend of funds.

Your thoughts on those?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
That is true also, and I hope Trump will finally sort the whole mess out.
Is this the same Trump who promised a Wall that Mexico would pay for?
The same Trump who promised to release his tax returns?
The same Trump who is being sued by the students of Trump University?
Oh that Trump.
Yeah right.
Tom

psychoslice

Veteran Member
You don't know. You know that you don't know, but you want to make policy based on emotions anyway??? It's the Republican way, n'est pas?
As you yourself don't know, so join the party.
I think it's worth examining something like the Bracero program, from the 60's, and seeing if a more modern version could be implemented.
I also think things like the existing E-verify system, or a similar means of assessing worker eligibility could be more cheaply implemented, with the onus on employers to mandatorily use it.
Finally, I think there should be a beef-up of the checks and policing of legal visa overstays, which account for a large portion of the illegal immigration anyway.

These measures would support each other, and I'd estimate they'd be considerably cheaper than a wall.

Similarly, there is nothing wrong with beefing up border security to some degree. I just don't see a physical wall which then needs to be maintained, and can be breached in remote locations as a sensible spend of funds.

Your thoughts on those?
Well if the wall works then great, something has to be done
But I'm not trying to enact policy based on sheer ignorance.
I am not either.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
Well if the wall works then great, something has to be done
Maybe, just maybe that's not what needs to be 'done'. You've admitted that you don't know the impact and you seem to be certain that no one does. So why not figure out if it impacts us much at all before we spend all that money? This is a case of "Ready, FIRE!, Aim..." Acting off of your emotions can very well exacerbate the situation. Needless expenditures, such as wars and building stupid walls, will only increase our deficit which is NOT good. Let's reduce the military, stop trying to be the world police, invest in our infrastructure but lower taxes the old fashion way: by spending less.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Maybe, just maybe that's not what needs to be 'done'. You've admitted that you don't know the impact and you seem to be certain that no one does. So why not figure out if it impacts us much at all before we spend all that money? This is a case of "Ready, FIRE!, Aim..." Acting off of your emotions can very well exacerbate the situation. Needless expenditures, such as wars and building stupid walls, will only increase our deficit which is NOT good. Let's reduce the military, stop trying to be the world police, invest in our infrastructure but lower taxes the old fashion way: by spending less.
Ok, how would you stop them breaking the law, instead of the wall, shot them ?.

psychoslice

Veteran Member
Prosecute the people who hire them.
The problem is not that they are here. It's that employers prefer cheap labor with no rights, when they are allowed to hire them over citizens.
Tom
What about the crime rate, the ones who don't want to work, they have to get money some how /.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Prosecute the people who hire them.
The problem is not that they are here. It's that employers prefer cheap labor with no rights, when they are allowed to hire them over citizens.
Tom
If no one hires them, how do they survive?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What about the crime rate, the ones who don't want to work, they have to get money some how /.
If we vetted them a bit it would stop being a problem.
By and large they are not problems. Most of them try hard not to be noticed by the government, less crime and welfare and social issues than ordinary people. But as long as we insist on a shadow culture of illegal immigrants there will be far more problems than might be.
Tom

psychoslice

Veteran Member
If we vetted them a bit it would stop being a problem.
By and large they are not problems. Most of them try hard not to be noticed by the government, less crime and welfare and social issues than ordinary people. But as long as we insist on a shadow culture of illegal immigrants there will be far more problems than might be.
Tom
But it always come back to the realty, and that is they should not be there in the first place, so no all argument are in vain, get them out of the country and let them come in legally.