• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The God Paradox

allfoak

Alchemist
That's a very specific myth I haven't heard before. Where'd you get that one?

It started here..

Genesis 1:26-27 King James Version

26 And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

27 So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them.

allfoak

Alchemist
So you feel we literally look like God then? Like God has fingers and toes and a hairy back?

Not exactly.
Just think of the body as a metaphor.
It is a metaphor for the workings of the mind as well as the Spirit, since all things contain everything that the whole contains.

It has 12 major organs.
7 major glands.

We have nearly two of everything, that must all work as one in order to function properly.
We have a top and a bottom, a left and a right.

"When you make the two one, and when you make the inside like the outside and the outside like the inside, and the above like the below, and when you make the male and the female one and the same, so that the male not be male nor the female female"
Gospel of Thomas
saying 22
"As above so below"
Hermetic Axiom

These little sayings and scripture verses are everywhere.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Neither do I. It is a rather uninteresting and unintelligent false dichotomy, a pitiful attempt at logic.
You will need to demonstrated how it is a false dichotomy because you seem to be the only one who sees it.

Tumah

Veteran Member
I think the flaw in the premise is that omnipotence is not relevant to G-d. Its a term that only finds relevancy in the subjective perspective of the creation. The reality is that there is no mountain, word mountain or concept of mountain outside our dimension of existence. There is no intrinsically existing existence and so there is nothing to measure G-d's power against. So in objective terms, G-d is neither omnipotent nor not omnipotent. Its only within our frame of reference that we perceive G-d as having absolute power [over creation]. So creating a mountain that He can't pick up wouldn't be a testament to His objective potency as much as it would be to our perception.

Also, concepts such as potency, mountains, greater and lesser are all creations. Outside the Creation, the statement has no more meaning than, "arognpaeurnvtb asgipariyg denvosu?" because they don't exist.

Still, those are my logical arguments and ultimately, G-d is not inherently bound by logic. Its just a tool that He used to create. So I think G-d can choose to suspend logic and create a mountain that He can't pick up from our perceptive and still pick it up without detracting from our perception of His omnipotence.

McBell

So you are capable of seeing through the eyes of 6 billion people and drawing that conclusion? Are you god? :rolleyes:
I figured you you were not going to support your claim of false dichotomy.
I suspect that you do not know what a false dichotomy actually is, thus the reason for the diversion tactic now.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
I figured you you were not going to support your claim of false dichotomy.
I suspect that you do not know what a false dichotomy actually is, thus the reason for the diversion tactic now.

And I suspect that you are no god because you deflect away from my question. You care to rephrase your post so that it makes sense and then I might answer it?

McBell

And I suspect that you are no god because you deflect away from my question. You care to rephrase your post so that it makes sense and then I might answer it?
I asked for you to show that it is the false dichotomy you claim it is.

Akivah

From philosophy class years ago...

1. God is all powerful. There is nothing God can't do.
2. God can make a mountain so heavy that He can't lift it.
3. Therefore, God is not all powerful because He can't lift that mountain.

I have no idea why I posted this. I just like thinking about topics such as this. :p

I disagree with the first sentence. G-d is all powerful, but G-d can't make Himself less than G-d.

Acim

Revelation all the time
From philosophy class years ago...

1. God is all powerful. There is nothing God can't do.
2. God can make a mountain so heavy that He can't lift it.
3. Therefore, God is not all powerful because He can't lift that mountain.

I have no idea why I posted this. I just like thinking about topics such as this. :p

I don't get how the highlighted part appears. It would seem entirely implausible that such a Deity could make anything that the couldn't lift (do). But it might be fun to think of it (or Him) as self limiting.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
That is not what you said but I will clarify anyway.

" God can make a mountain so heavy that He can't lift it." This is a false dichotomy by comparing two things that are not logical.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_dilemma

So your "not logical" comment is based on the concept of an invisible man in the sky, that no one has ever actually seen, who may or may not save little children depending on His mood, and has this evil, arch enemy, fallen angel type that in all His divine power He can't un-create and save everyone the trouble...

Yeah, I see your logic.

Note: keep in mind that I do believe in God, just not the hocus pocus, supernatural fluff that so many religions/denominations make up about Him.

First Baseman

Retired athlete
So your "not logical" comment is based on the concept of an invisible man in the sky, that no one has ever actually seen, who may or may not save little children depending on His mood, and has this evil, arch enemy, fallen angel type that in all His divine power He can't un-create and save everyone the trouble...

Yeah, I see your logic.

Note: keep in mind that I do believe in God, just not the hocus pocus, supernatural fluff that so many religions/denominations make up about Him.

Well, you don't believe in the God of the Bible.
So it really doesn't matter what you believe to me, as far as I'm concerned you're wrong.

And actually, the "not logical" statement was yours, not mine.

allfoak

Alchemist
Well, you don't believe in the God of the Bible.
So it really doesn't matter what you believe to me, as far as I'm concerned you're wrong.

It is this kind of thinking that got me thrown out of church.

I watched a video once of a pastor who had a revelation that there was no hell.
When he started to preach about this and share these things he was learning with his congregation the people gradually just stopped coming back.
It is hard to imagine that people would rather accept such an infantile understanding of the scriptures with no desire to think beyond such things, rather than desire to learn and grow into the mysteries of God.