• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The God Paradox

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The relevance would be the difference between me creating something in my mind or in my garage.
Anything is possible in the mind of God but my garage has limits.
We are all equally powerful in our minds.
Even as powerful as god.
If that is all that is meant by god being all powerful, then it is a worthless empty boast.

To each their own

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member
From philosophy class years ago...

1. God is all powerful. There is nothing God can't do.
2. God can make a mountain so heavy that He can't lift it.
3. Therefore, God is not all powerful because He can't lift that mountain.

I have no idea why I posted this. I just like thinking about topics such as this. :p

Sure but God can unmake the mountain and wipe your memory that it ever existed.:tongueout:

Etritonakin

I have no idea why I posted this. I just like thinking about topics such as this. :p
That is based on man's ideas about God.

God cannot do what God decides he cannot do.
The God of the bible declared that he is accountable to himself.

It is not that God cannot -but that God will not.

That which he cannot lift is his word unless he makes allowance for it to be lifted under certain conditions. He considers all before he gives his word.

God can make a mountain he cannot lift if he declares he will never lift it.
He can also then lift it if he gave conditions in his word to allow for such.
I will cannot and will not lift it... Unless...... Until.....,etc.....

Ouroboros

Coincidentia oppositorum

The problem is that it separates God and some kind of world or nature outside of God.

For God to create a mountain, it assumes that there's a place where God can put a mountain, and it's a place that it's not him/her/it. So already at this point, the premise is that God can't be something. God isn't the "other" thing, the world, where this mountain is placed in, and the premise here is that God isn't and can't be that thing. So the "paradox" is already set up at the point of: "God can make a mountain..." In other words, God can't make a mountain. God can only be the mountain.

GoodbyeDave

That one's been around about 100 years, I think! The actual fallacy is that the premises (1 and 2) contradict one another.

But they were trying to make a point about the idea of omnipotence. For example, could God draw a three-sided square and paint it red and green all over? The usual answer is no, because the only meaningful sense of "omnipotent" is "able to do anything that's logically possible".

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
But they were trying to make a point about the idea of omnipotence. For example, could God draw a three-sided square and paint it red and green all over? The usual answer is no, because the only meaningful sense of "omnipotent" is "able to do anything that's logically possible".
"the only meaningful sense"

That is debatable.

PackJason

I make up facts.
Can god feel lust? Can god sin? Can god be evil?

If the answer is "no" to any of these, then god is not omnipotent.

First Baseman

Retired athlete

Neither do I. It is a rather uninteresting and unintelligent false dichotomy, a pitiful attempt at logic.