• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The God Paradox

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
Well, you don't believe in the God of the Bible.
So it really doesn't matter what you believe to me, as far as I'm concerned you're wrong.

There it is! And they wonder why so many people can't stand them.

Oh, and thanks for telling me what I do or don't believe in, since you know my mind.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
From philosophy class years ago...

1. God is all powerful. There is nothing God can't do.
2. God can make a mountain so heavy that He can't lift it.
3. Therefore, God is not all powerful because He can't lift that mountain.

I have no idea why I posted this. I just like thinking about topics such as this. :p

God is not a physical being thus does not lift anything. I'm surprised your class didn't point out the issues with this argument.

Shad

Veteran Member
If god is bound by logic or physics or etc.. then he is NOT "1. God is all powerful. There is nothing God can't do."

So according to you God should be able to make a square circle right? God should be able to do what is completely illogical.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
So according to you God should be able to make a square circle right? God should be able to do what is completely illogical.
No idea what this whole "according to you" nonsense is all about, being as I am an atheist....

however.....

The ONLY way that number one can be true is if god is not bound by logic, physics, etc.
If god is not bound by logic, physics, etc. then it is most illogical to argue logic against a being that is not bound by the logic with which you argue.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
God is not a physical being thus does not lift anything. I'm surprised your class didn't point out the issues with this argument.

Anti-gravity would be able to lift something without being a physical entity. May the force be with you! :D

ak.yonathan

Anti-gravity would be able to lift something without being a physical entity. May the force be with you! :D
There is no physical process which can produce anti-gravity. No matter what you do you cannot produce such a thing as anti-gravity. You can cross-check what I said with physics references.

ak.yonathan

Actually, I don't think that a being has to be non-physical in order to be considered as God. Are you saying that omnipotence can only arise by non-physical processes?

muhammad_isa

If god is bound by logic or physics or etc.. then he is NOT "1. God is all powerful. There is nothing God can't do."
Not true..
If we talk rubbish, we learn nothing about Almighty God. There might be some things that we consider illogical that aren't and vice-versa.
However, generally speaking, most paradoxes rely on 'division by zero' or some kind of trick constructs etc.
The OP is no exception!

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
There is no physical process which can produce anti-gravity. No matter what you do you cannot produce such a thing as anti-gravity. You can cross-check what I said with physics references.

God is most likely not physical.

I'd like to think that a supreme being/entity that can create the universe (my belief) can do whatever It wanted to. God would not be bound by the limitations of human thought.

muhammad_isa

God would not be bound by the limitations of human thought.
What does that mean exactly?
The purpose of language is for communication. If what we utter is nonsense, then we don't communicate anything constructive to each other. How does that help us understand God?
It doesn't, so what's the point..

Illogical possibilities are nonsense to us .. therefore it makes no sense to talk about them.
This is in contrast to physical laws being broken .. there is nothing illogical about Almighty God not being subject to His creation.

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
What does that mean exactly?
The purpose of language is for communication. If what we utter is nonsense, then we don't communicate anything constructive to each other. How does that help us understand God?
It doesn't, so what's the point..

Illogical possibilities are nonsense to us .. therefore it makes no sense to talk about them.
This is in contrast to physical laws being broken .. there is nothing illogical about Almighty God not being subject to His creation.

It means that some people are closed minded.