• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The God Paradox

Neo Deist

Th.D. & D.Div. h.c.
From philosophy class years ago...

1. God is all powerful. There is nothing God can't do.
2. God can make a mountain so heavy that He can't lift it.
3. Therefore, God is not all powerful because He can't lift that mountain.

I have no idea why I posted this. I just like thinking about topics such as this. :p

allfoak

Alchemist

I have no idea why I posted this. I just like thinking about topics such as this. :p

It has a flawed premise.
It assumes that the creation is separate from the creator.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member

I have topics I like to think about.

I think if you change the verb form it might make sense. There was nothing God could not do. Since God created life now God can not forsake it. Also, God can not lie about what God has said.

allfoak

Alchemist
The relevance would be the difference between me creating something in my mind or in my garage.
Anything is possible in the mind of God but my garage has limits.

allfoak

Alchemist
Aren't you glad he asked?

yes.

Ud6krzOUaQiVrbx4IWkuzUrMD8vWr4qbG1wMtmWKQ94r7Doi6fybXXnACJoLFtKR-lol_57079239b1bf6.png

BSM1

What? Me worry?
The relevance would be the difference between me creating something in my mind or in my garage.
Anything is possible in the mind of God but my garage has limits.

This. Plus to be defined as "God" you would have to be everything created and not created. Thus for God to create something that wasn't God to begin with would be impossible (and, paradoxically, Possible at the same time).

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
This. Plus to be defined as "God" you would have to be everything created and not created. Thus for God to create something that wasn't God to begin with would be impossible (and, paradoxically, Possible at the same time).
NOW I see the cross!

allfoak

Alchemist

This paradox would be us.
the way it works is that everything is holographic.
We are an holographic image of our creator.
This means that we are not God anymore than one of our cells can be defined as a human.
We do however contain everything that our creator has because that is the way a hologram works.
A hologram contains every aspect of it's source, if it did not it would not be a recognizable image.
This means that God has indeed succeeded in creating something that is and is not himself.

A holographic image within the mind of our creator is what we are, with the purpose of learning the essence of things on a journey from the Alpha of ignorance to the Omega of knowing.

idav

Being
Premium Member

3 might be true if god actually made the unliftable mountain. God being able make himself less than all powerful doesn't make it so until god actually does it. God only needs the potential to do the things, god would not have to actually do all contradictory things.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
This paradox would be us.
the way it works is that everything is holographic.
We are an holographic image of our creator.
This means that we are not God anymore than one of our cells can be defined as a human.
We do however contain everything that our creator has because that is the way a hologram works.
A hologram contains every aspect of it's source, if it did not it would not be a recognizable image.
This means that God has indeed succeeded in creating something that is and is not himself.

A holographic image within the mind of our creator is what we are, with the purpose of learning the essence of things on a journey from the Alpha of ignorance to the Omega of knowing.

I use to say something along this line before holographs existed. I use to say the "God" in order to experience Itself created a minute part of Herself and called it "Not God". This is the life force that was placed in us. However, Spock, I kinda dig the holograph thingy.

allfoak

Alchemist
I use to say something along this line before holographs existed. I use to say the "God" in order to experience Itself created a minute part of Herself and called it "Not God". This is the life force that was placed in us. However, Spock, I kinda dig the holograph thingy.

it is the only thing that makes sense.
God cannot create something separate from himself or he would not be God.
So this means that everything must be in the mind of God.

What i say is not new, in fact it is a very old understanding that is only truly understood by the mystic.

BSM1

What? Me worry?
it is the only thing that makes sense.
God cannot create something separate from himself or he would not be God.
So this means that everything must be in the mind of God.

What i say is not new, in fact it is a very old understanding that is only truly understood by the mystic.

The devil you say...