• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The God Paradox

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Not true..
It is true.

If we talk rubbish, we learn nothing about Almighty God.
Then stop talking rubbish...

There might be some things that we consider illogical that aren't and vice-versa.
Just like god might not exist...
Or that the god that does exist is not the one you favour...

However, generally speaking, most paradoxes rely on 'division by zero' or some kind of trick constructs etc.
The OP is no exception!
I already showed a few different problems with the OP.
I have even pointed out problems with some of the posts about the OP.

One thing they all have in common is the word IF.

Shad

Veteran Member
No idea what this whole "according to you" nonsense is all about, being as I am an atheist....

You claimed be bound by logic makes God not God as God can not do the illogical like make a square circle and 1+1=3

The ONLY way that number one can be true is if god is not bound by logic, physics, etc.

Thus can make 1+1=3, square circle, etc.

If god is not bound by logic, physics, etc. then it is most illogical to argue logic against a being that is not bound by the logic with which you argue.

Logic is not a thing while physics is a mechanism of things.

Shad

Veteran Member
Actually, I don't think that a being has to be non-physical in order to be considered as God. Are you saying that omnipotence can only arise by non-physical processes?

If God is physical than it is mundane. At least in the Abrahamic sense. With this in mind to apply a physical limitation to something that is not physical is nonsense. Strength, weight, lifting, etc are nonsensical to a transcendent being

muhammad_isa

No the point was that if God is not bound by logic God can do the illogical.
I agree .. then we can end up with meaningless scenarios .. not a good start.
Is it intended for the statement "Almighty God can do all things" to be incoherent?
Of course not! It's people that tend to be stupid, not God :)

McBell

No the point was that if God is not bound by logic God can do the illogical.
And in order for number one to be true, then god would have to be able to do illogical things.
Which is my point about number one.

Etritonakin

From philosophy class years ago...

1. God is all powerful. There is nothing God can't do.
2. God can make a mountain so heavy that He can't lift it.
3. Therefore, God is not all powerful because He can't lift that mountain.

I have no idea why I posted this. I just like thinking about topics such as this. :p

God is the one by whom all things consist.

What he makes, he makes of himself.

Power is not only what one is able to do, but what one makes unable to be undone.

An unliftable mountain would not necessarily indicate a weakness.
If God made an unliftable mountain, it would be -by decision -a permanent part of himself.

The error is in assuming that God is all-powerful in the way we perceive being all-powerful.

God makes some things impossible for himself to do by decision -by the power to be perfectly accountable to himself -by creating situations where things cannot be done except in a certain order, under certain circumstances, etc.,...... But makes himself all-powerful by doing so.

His will is all-powerful, and all else is a representation of his will.

God made it impossible to go against his own word -but is perfectly careful when giving his word. God has power over even himself -not just all things.

Last edited:

Shad

Veteran Member
And in order for number one to be true, then god would have to be able to do illogical things.
Which is my point about number one.

If God can do the illogical then the Stone paradox is flawed anyways since it is built upon logic, and semantic tricks

McBell

If God can do the illogical then the Stone paradox is flawed anyways since it is built upon logic, and semantic tricks
And again you are trying to use logic when it is clear that the being you rally against is not bound by the logic you try to use.

muhammad_isa

And again you are trying to use logic when it is clear that the being you rally against is not bound by the logic you try to use.
Nonsense!
Almighty God is a rational concept. Miracles are not irrational .. they only defy physical laws.

Shad

Veteran Member

Then the paradox does not apply as God can do the illogical which includes contradictions. Your own resolution makes the argument false.

No I am exposing a flaw in the argument that is going over people's heads.

Shad

Veteran Member
I agree .. then we can end up with meaningless scenarios .. not a good start.

Is it not meaningless but many miss the current use of the paradox as a lesson in critical thinking not as am argument against God.

Is it intended for the statement "Almighty God can do all things" to be incoherent?

This is what a lot of people think the purpose of the paradox is, an argument against God and omnipotence being incoherent. However the purpose it had for centuries was to define what omnipotence actually entails.What can God do? Can God do the logically impossible. Can God make a square circle, 1 becomes 2, a triangle's angles equaling 180 degrees, etc.