• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Ark was built by an amateur, the Titanic by professionals, evidence of Arc

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
By my calculations a boat that contained 2 of every unclean species and 7 of every clean. would have to be roughly the size of montana, such a boat is impossible, the technology of the time was very basic. The usual come back from this of course is "God must have helped him then". But that is unproven, the fact that a boat couldn't be build is proven....more or less.

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Atheist_Dave said:
By my calculations a boat that contained 2 of every unclean species and 7 of every clean. would have to be roughly the size of montana, such a boat is impossible, the technology of the time was very basic. The usual come back from this of course is "God must have helped him then". But that is unproven, the fact that a boat couldn't be build is proven....more or less.
Your calculations are not correct. http://www.christiananswers.net/q-eden/edn-c013.html

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
Is that all you can do? You seem to always go and find a load of mumbo jumbo to prove whatever point you want to make. None of this is evidence.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Arn't there like five or more "Mt. Ararat"'s kicking around... which one is the "real" one and which ones were named by people for other reasons?

I know that there is at least one more in Saudi Arabia...

wa:do

sandy whitelinger

Veteran Member
Atheist_Dave said:
The article you posted is appaulingly inaccurate. Not surprising as it's called "christian answers" x
Ok, concerning the size of the arc and the ability to put the species on it, what is appaulingly inaccurate?

Fade

The Great Master Bates
sandy whitelinger said:
Ok, concerning the size of the arc and the ability to put the species on it, what is appaulingly inaccurate?
The bit where it says you'd be able to fit 2 of every animal and food for every animal on a wooden boat? :bonk:

linwood

sandy whitelinger said:
One mans mumbo jumbo......
Here`s some more mumbo jumbo ..

Problems with the Global Flood

Could animals have traveled from elsewhere? If the animals traveled from other parts of the world, many of them would have faced extreme difficulties.

Were dinosaurs and other extinct animals on the ark? According to the Bible, Noah took samples of all animals alive at the time of the Flood. If, as creationists claim, all fossil-bearing strata were deposited by the Flood, then all the animals which became fossils were alive then. Therefore all extinct land animals had representatives aboard the ark.

So, could they all fit? It is important to take the size of animals into account when considering how much space they would occupy because the greatest number of species occurs in the smallest animals. Woodmorappe performed such an analysis and came to the conclusion that the animals would take up 47% of the ark. In addition, he determines that about 10% of the ark was needed for food (compacted to take as little space as possible) and 9.4% for water (assuming no evaporation or wastage). At least 25% of the space would have been needed for corridors and bracing. Thus, increasing the quantity of animals by more than about 5% would overload the ark.

Special diets. Many animals, especially insects, require special diets. Koalas, for example, require eucalyptus leaves, and silkworms eat nothing but mulberry leaves. For thousands of plant species (perhaps even most plants), there is at least one animal that eats only that one kind of plant. How did Noah gather all those plants aboard, and where did he put them?
Other animals are strict carnivores, and some of those specialize on certain kinds of foods, such as small mammals, insects, fish, or aquatic invertebrates. How did Noah determine and provide for all those special diets?

There`s more, much more at the link above but a point I wanted to make was that many parasites that kill humans also survived the flood.
How did
Gonorrhea survive the flood?
Did Mrs.Noah have it and why didn`t she succumb to it eventually?
Who carried the multitude of other living parasites?
How did humans survive so many parasites especially when so many directly attack the reproductive organs?

Why do the histories of other civilizations not record any flood yet they were thriving at the recorded time of a worldwide flood and it seems never stopped existing during this flood as their written history runs well before and after this flood?

I`m sorry but I`ve got to say that a literal belief in the flood myth is beyond self imposed ignorance in this day and age.

It`s delusion.

:areyoucra

MdmSzdWhtGuy

What's wrong with that Sandy, has been pointed out on the previous page. There is no way you can build a wooden boat large enough to store breeding pairs of all the animals on Earth, plus the food to feed them for the duration of time the Ark was floating.

It is beyond preposterous, and absurd to state the story of The Flood is to be taken literally. There have been other threads on this issue, and tons of discussion on this particular thread, as well. There is nowhere for the water to have come from, and even if you got it here, to raise ocean levels by enough to bury Mt. Everest would cause atmospheric pressure to go up so high as to crush the lungs of any air breathing species.

There are so many problems with the story of the flood, that it would take hours to even point them all out, let alone discuss them. There has never been a flood which covered all the land on Earth. It did not happen, and for a variety of valid, scientific reasons, it not only didn't happen, it couldn't have happened.

If there were a flood covering the entire Earth 4,000 years ago, there would be massive amounts of physical evidence of such a flood in the geography of the Earth. It ain't there. We have trees growing on this planet, which are older than the claimed date of the flood, or even the claimed date of Creation. (5,766 years ago, if you are interested). We have trees which are known to be around 10,000 years old.

B.

greatcalgarian said:
Ya, Noah has no electric saw, air gun etc. Everything has to be done by hand. Try to imagine how many trees he has to fell, saw into the right size, and nailed together. May be his great grand father started the project, and he completed the final touch up.
Just replying to this post, and not having seen many others except for the first page, it did take 120 years for him to build it. His three sons were born and raised during this time.

linwood

Daniel Burbank said:
Just replying to this post, and not having seen many others except for the first page, it did take 120 years for him to build it. His three sons were born and raised during this time.
That makes the story much more believable.
:areyoucra

Atheist_Dave

*Foxy Lady*
I think the idea is ludicrous. The number of land dwelling animals at that time would have been immense. Also, how would he have got all the creatures from around the world? I cant see him fetching polar bears etc from far flung places, Capturing every insect on the earth would be impossible even today. And the claims that the earth is about 6000 years old is simply idiotic. Geographical evidence as indicated by the posted above me also pretty much proves that there never was such a flood, end of discussion I think.

Peace x

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Atheist_Dave said:
Geographical evidence as indicated by the posted above me also pretty much proves that there never was such a flood, end of discussion I think.
Hate to tell you this Dave but current research is leading to the fact that there probably WAS a world wide flood at some time. Both these links are non religious and science based.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/07/21/tech/main564233.shtml

http://smithsonianmag.com/smithsonian/issues00/apr00/phenom_apr00.html

JerryL

Buttercup said:
"Another goal of the $5 million, two-week expedition beginning July 27 is to find evidence of a great flood about 7,500 years ago that inundated the Black Sea, turning the freshwater lake into a saltwater ocean. "

The collapse of the Bospherous portal and flooding of the black sea is not a global flood; though I do agree it's likely the origin of the flood of Gilgames which, in turn, was copied to the flood of Noah.

"Eventually, like a bathtub overflowing, the Mediterranean had to pour through into the Black Sea basin."

Same discussion. Next time please actually read your cites before you claim a worldwide flood.

Buttercup

Veteran Member
Obviously I did JerryL...."uncover evidence that Noah's flood may have a basis in some rather astonishing events that took place around the Black Sea some 7,500 years ago."

Did YOU read the entire article?

And mind you the science behind the hypothesis is relatively new...not all the data is in yet. If you read more about the subject in general you would realize this yourself.

Ceridwen018

Buttercup said:
Obviously I did JerryL...."uncover evidence that Noah's flood may have a basis in some rather astonishing events that took place around the Black Sea some 7,500 years ago."
Like you said, Buttercup, these sights are non-religious based. This article is not asserting that the Biblical account of a worldwide flood is true. They are saying that such a devastating flood as that which appears to have occurred around the area of the Black Sea could have inspired the story of Noah's flood. People who lived back then often had a primitive idea of what the "whole world" really was, beyond their own backyards. With such a flood as the Black Sea flood, it would be easy for them to write something like, "The whole world was flooded," or more preciscely, "My whole world, (all that I know), is flooded."