• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The allure of Trump

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
There are two words for this idea: NEVER AGAIN.

12249825_911872928898314_4022402721312309137_n.png

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Can anyone explain it? I, as well as many others I know, truly can't fathom how the man has the numbers he does.

One possibility is that Trump is picking up on the authoritarian follower vote. Authoritarian followers are a sort of personality type that tend to like people like Trump.

Basically, these authoritarian followers think of themselves as morally, ethnically, or in some other way, superior to everyone else. They tend to bully and use violence against people they don't like if they can do so safely (think ten of them, one of you), and they lack a strong internal sense of morality, but rather follow some authority figure's notion of morality. They are the sort of people who, when they see a video of a cop shooting an unarmed Black man in the back, make excuses for the cop. The cop, you see, represents authority, and they are groupies for people in positions of authority.

Some people think Trump resonates with authoritarian followers.

esmith

Veteran Member
Some people think Trump resonates with authoritarian followers.
Yes, politicians play to the base that they believe will, in this case, win the nomination of their party for the office of the president. The only problem is if they go to far in one direction and get the nomination they then have to appeal to the "independents"; which may cause them to move in the opposite direction and lose those voters that voted for their "policies" in the primaries.

Laika

Premium Member
There are two words for this idea: NEVER AGAIN.

12249825_911872928898314_4022402721312309137_n.png

I haven't paid much attention to the News, so when I checked the Guardian this afternoon and started reading about Muslim Databases and even the American Holocaust museum stepping in to comment on what has been discussed, I was in shock. I couldn't agree more. it is abhorrent and terrifying that this has been discussed in a presidential election race.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Yes, politicians play to the base that they believe will, in this case, win the nomination of their party for the office of the president. The only problem is if they go to far in one direction and get the nomination they then have to appeal to the "independents"; which may cause them to move in the opposite direction and lose those voters that voted for their "policies" in the primaries.
So, that's how you excuse his bigoted and blatantly unconstitutional statements?

esmith

Veteran Member
So, that's how you excuse his bigoted and blatantly unconstitutional statements?
no more than the ridiculous statements made by the Democrats. Trump is out to win the Republican nomination for president, what he is doing now seems to be working so why should he change.

Draka

Wonder Woman
no more than the ridiculous statements made by the Democrats. Trump is out to win the Republican nomination for president, what he is doing now seems to be working so why should he change.
You think being like the Nazis is "working"? I mean, at least it highlights the extreme bigots in the country so we know who they are and to watch them, but I don't see how what he is now doing is going to get him anywhere near the White House.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Preaching hate of a minority as he's doing is an old tactic including Adolf in Germany. Today I think the Republican party is for the most part the biggest threat to America we face by promoting prejudice and giving more power to plutocrats. Being Jewish, I'm VERY sensitive to anything which smacks of the Nazi era and the Republican party is moving closer and closer to being akin to the nazis. NEVER AGAIN. It's time for America to wake up and reject the fear and hate mongers. But if the devil manages to get the Presidency I will stand with my peaceful Muslim brothers and sisters. Allah hu Akbar, baby. (To avoid a comment - I'm aware that there are evil Muslims as well and those need to be defeated by any means necessary).

leibowde84

Veteran Member
Why is it that Sanders, who is consistently polling better than Trump is getting less than 1/4 of the attention and media coverage Trump is, IMHO its Trump they should be ignoring.
The media is business. They cover what gets good ratings. Trump is entertaining.

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Except that the "ridiculous statements made by the Democrats" don't include bigoted stereotypes, and since Trump's bigoted statements were said to help him "win the Republican nomination", doesn't this show quite clearly even what the Republican base is really like. Notice that this is not a question.

Last edited:

esmith

Veteran Member
The media is business. They cover what gets good ratings. Trump is entertaining.

By that criteria, Hitler would be entertaining.

He was entertaining. He is known to have been one of the greatest orators of the 20th century, and maybe of all-time. If that isn't entertainment, I don't know what is.

Some people just don't read history, either that or it isn't taught in the schools anymore

And some people excuse ethnic and religious bigotry, so maybe they ignore that which is undoubtedly taught in most schools.
Possible confusion in following the chain?

Adramelek

Setian
Premium Member
Donald Trump is correct when he said he saw people, Arabic looking (yes I profile), Muslim woman with head scarfs, cheering when the two towers came down. That was in 2001. back then I know I didn't have a phone that could take video or photos. I remember though, and will never forget.