• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teenagers Set Dog on Fire

.lava

Veteran Member
No I think "shame on you" IMHO is appropriate if you are dealing with a child being cruel or indiferent to animals.

I just dont think as an adult you should carry or be labeled heavy shame ..Ya know?

Love

Dallas

i believe you are right. i just find it difficult to relate with my own childhood. it feels like a dream i had or something. i can not think of me at age 7 as myself today.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Fair enough. I understand why you'd feel that way. I agree wholeheartedly with PW, and just happened to be set off by reading someone's past where there was no hint of even feeling the slightest bit of remourse for it. Surely you can understand my anger at that.

Not really. I can understand your disagreement with it, maybe, but not anger.

i understand PW. yet i think sad is more proper word than shame for cruel stuff we did as a child even before we have a certain personality.

Exactly.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
.lava made a good point I wanted to touch on as far as children torturing bugs.Growing up as a child I saw the adults killing bugs without a second thought.How many houses have a fly swatter in it?We werent taught either to disntinquish good bugs from bad bugs I cant think of anytime in my childhhod that I was taught to "admire" any species of bug they were all bad guys There was no "respect" for a bugs life.We learned therefore or thouhgt getting rid of bugs was a good thing.No one ever talked about the possiblility of bugs having feelings or pain.Thats why I can not view children deliberately 'torturing" bugs as a sadistic or sick act.Because in a childs mind who just doesnt know any better they may even think they are doing a good thing or at the very least they are simply curious and its plainly O.K to kill bugs.So they are indfferent.

As adults we dont think its "fun" to kill bugs.If we kill a bug its because they are biting us or maybe even because we are afraid of them or they pose a health risk.But I dont know any adults in my life who think its "entertaining" or a great way to spend time pulling the legs off of a spider even if we have ZERO problem killing one to get it away from us.Poisoning them..swatting them..squashing without batting an eye.

Also I think the reason children might find it 'fun" is also about just being curious.As children are curious about a lot of things that they eventually grow out of.Or learn that its a right or wrong thing to do or quite frankly find boring as adults.Take fire for instance.Lots of kids are curious about fire.They might think its a big blast to say steal some mathches and set a stick on fire.OOH look I made fire!!On the contrary I dont know many adults who get a really big thrill or think its "fun" and entertaining to set something on fire.We do it out of necessity.We may enjoy the benefits of the fire.But its not about this curiousity of beign able to set something on fire.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Also not to go on and on ..Most of the adults I know today although they dont find it "fun"or "entertaining to torture bugs..Do not feel "sad" or "bothered" or "guilty" when they kill one.

Buttons you are one of the rare people that would pray for a mosquitto that you swatted off your arm.Most peoples prayer I would bet is that there arm would stop itching so bad.

Love

Dallas

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I take that back there were bugs as children we didnt consider "bad guys".Like lady bugs..and roly poly's for instance.

Love

Dallas

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I'd like it if she did. I'd also like her to explain why she thinks roadkill is funny.

I think Hannah was being sarcastic.Sure in bad taste..but who am I to talk..I dont think she would actually get a laugh off of a an amimal being killed in the road.

But then again maybe I dont know her at all.

Love

Dallas

Yeah, not what I got from it. When I confronted her on it she said she didn't care. So long as it isn't her Baggins.

Hannah doesn't think roadkill is funny. She thinks it is better to laugh at something upsetting than to cry and be miserable about it. Hannah thinks laughing makes her feel better when she is sad, so instead of feeling sad about the roadkill, she laughs and forgets about it. Why be miserable when you don't have to be? Me being sad isn't going to magically make the roadkill come back to life, and me laughing isn't going to make it more dead.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Hannah doesn't think roadkill is funny. She thinks it is better to laugh at something upsetting than to cry and be miserable about it. Hannah thinks laughing makes her feel better when she is sad, so instead of feeling sad about the roadkill, she laughs and forgets about it. Why be miserable when you don't have to be? Me being sad isn't going to magically make the roadkill come back to life, and me laughing isn't going to make it more dead.

I guess we are differen that way.I can't force myself to laugh if Im sad.Or even if I could actually "laugh" the feeling of sadness wouldnt be removed.When I laugh?Its becaue Im actually tickled about something that is funny..Or Im feeling happiness.It would be fake laughter IOW without the feelings normally accompanied with laughter.

Love

Dallas

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Well you had no problem with flowers and insects.. why not?

In fact, many people used to dissect dogs and cats for schools. You didn't know that though, huh?

I knew that. They used to disect cats at my high school, which is why I never took Biology 2. I was asking you if you think it is okay to torture dogs as long as you feel bad about it. I don't think it is.

Well then I guess you've learned something if you actually care about it - but you're a nihlist, so I guess you don't care about anything. Fair enough, it's good to see someone live they way they preach.

I didn't learn anything at all. I care about things, I just don't think there is a universal set of morals. There is no good and bad, but I can still feel my own opinion. I think some things are mean, but I don't expect the world to agree with me, because there is no magic list of rights and wrongs.

Think what you want. I think that kind of thing is awful, even for a child. My Mom would never have let me do things like that to any living thing. She used to take the spiders outside on a newspaper if they were in the house. She taught me respect.

But I believe in personal responsibility, and hannah seemed to be bragging about her stint with abuse of small bugs. She has admitted that she doesn't even feel bad about it. So really you're defending someone who's perfectly fine with torturing things so long as it's not cute and cuddly. That's wrong to me.

Maybe your mom wouldn't have let you do things like that, and my mom probably wouldn't have either, but she wasn't there. My sister and I took candles out into the woods and poured wax on beetles which we had gotten off of our garden earlier in the day. We felt we had every right to get revenge on the bugs that were eating our plants, and we didn't tell my mom, because she wouldn't have wanted us to play with fire and she would probably not have liked for us to kill the bugs. I don't know if she would have cared.

I've said many times that I've made mistakes for it, and that I still feel bad about mistakes I've made when it comes to killing bugs. (Mostly on accident.) But I never went out of my way to torture them - which is what Hannah did. And she fondly remembers how she enjoyed putting burning wax on them outside of her house. Good on you for sticking up for her.

She may still, she never said either way. But she certainly doesn't feel bad about it. Not whatsoever.

Nor is she ashamed of what she DID. That's the difference between you and her. You actually realize that as you got older, it was wrong to torture bugs for no reason. Hannah doesn't say that at all, you should let her stand up for herself if that's what she really meant. To me, she hasn't said a WORD of what you're trying to convey.

I'm not missing the point - I get the point, and I'm fine with the point - I'm just not fine with Hannah not feeling at all bad for what she did, because THAT is also the mark of someone who could do something terrible to bigger things and then to humans. I'm not saying she will, but if she doesn't feel at all bad about it, I feel sorry for anything else she encounters that isn't her Baggins. *shrug*

She also laughs at roadkill. But I bet you didn't know that.

The only things I have ever personally killed were bugs and I might have accidentally done things which led up to the death of a chicken, but my sister and I felt really bad about that. To me, there is a HUGE difference between bugs and other animals. I have never made friends with a bug. I've never gotten comfort from a bug coming up to me and licking my face when I'm crying. I've never seen a bug jump up and down happily when I come home. I've never had a bug follow me around the yard when I'm going on a walk. I wouldn't kill cats or dogs, and would only kill a human if the law would let me, and that's only one specific human whom I hate for drowning my cat. I don't appreciate you implying that I love to kill things, because I don't. The last time I "tortured" anything (besides plants...) was some ants a year ago, by sticking them onto tape, and they were able to walk on the tape and free themselves, so they ended up being fine.

Is hannah a little kid? I wouldn't have said those words to a 7 year old, but hannah isn't 7, or maybe she is. If she is, I'm sorry, she's just a child and I shouldn't have been so harsh on her.

I'm not 7. :D

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Maybe your mom wouldn't have let you do things like that, and my mom probably wouldn't have either, but she wasn't there.

I didnt pick up on this part at first.But I never indicated my mother "let me" do things like that either.We played outside a lOT..

With the snake hole she had no idea we were doing that.I can gurantee on that one at the very least she wouldnt have wanted us to play with tuorpentine..and she probably wouldn't have wanted us going near a snake hole.

We played with a lot of animals..and she knew that.I picked up and held frogs and lizards..We held the roly poy's and lady bugs in our hands..we caught litghtening bugs and put them in a jar..I kept tad poles under my bed in a bowl of water trying to grow frogs...we caught a turtle and kept in in the shed out back untill it escaped.

I think if our mother ever caught us being "mean" to bug she probably woud have said y'all dont do that.

But with all the animals we came into contact with.Anything we ever did that wasnt right was a tiny drop in the bucket of our total contact and behavior with animals.

Love

Dallas

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I didnt pick up on this part at first.But I never indicated my mother "let me" do things like that either.We played outside a lOT..

With the snake hole she had no idea we were doing that.I can gurantee on that one at the very least she wouldnt have wanted us to play with tuorpentine..and she probably wouldn't have wanted us going near a snake hole.

We played with a lot of animals..and she knew that.I picked up and held frogs and lizards..We held the roly poy's and lady bugs in our hands..we caught litghtening bugs and put them in a jar..I kept tad poles under my bed in a bowl of water trying to grow frogs...we caught a turtle and kept in in the shed out back untill it escaped.

I think if our mother ever caught us being "mean" to bug she probably woud have said y'all dont do that.

But with all the animals we came into contact with.Anything we ever did that wasnt right was a tiny drop in the bucket of our total contact and behavior with animals.

Love

Dallas

Yes, we played with a lot of animals too. We had chickens and rabbits, cats, dogs, goats, fish, hamsters, ducks, probably more I cannot remember right now... and I used to catch grasshoppers in jars and watch them eat leaves, and I played with praying mantices, frogs, snails, snakes (which I like, but my mom is really scared of) lady bugs, lightning bugs and so on. The only bugs we ever killed besides the ones we stepped on by accident were japanese beetles, cicadas(both of whom were eating our garden or trees) ants, and spiders.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
praying mantices, willy worms, grasshoppers, butterflies

Praying manitices scared me.I was told as a child thye can "spit" in your eye blind you.And "stick bugs" creeped me out to ..

Green grasshoppers especially big ones freak me out too.But not the brown ones.

But I love butterflies.:)

Love

Dallas

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I'm scared of butterflies now. I loved praying mantices though, because they jump... really far considering how small they are. and they are big enough to not get lost and squished as easily as some smaller bugs.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Yes, we played with a lot of animals too. We had chickens and rabbits, cats, dogs, goats, fish, hamsters, ducks, probably more I cannot remember right now... and I used to catch grasshoppers in jars and watch them eat leaves, and I played with praying mantices, frogs, snails, snakes (which I like, but my mom is really scared of) lady bugs, lightning bugs and so on. The only bugs we ever killed besides the ones we stepped on by accident were japanese beetles, cicadas(both of whom were eating our garden or trees) ants, and spiders.

Oh I did another cruel thing..Reminded me on your list.We had a pond on our street with ducks in it.I ran of a duck in her nest and stole her eggs.I took them home and set them up in an empty aquarium with some towels.And turned the light on.I was trying to hatch them.I told my mother I found them.She let me keep them..but after about what seems now to me a year.I realized they would never hatch.I took them and threw them in the street..The inside was powder.

I do feel really bad I did that..but not "ashamed".In fact it taught me..that we cant "replace" the mama bird nesting on her eggs.Unless you are a scientist and you know what you are doing.IOW..Its not nice to mess with mother nature.At least with duck eggs.I in that case was "inferior" to a duck as to my abilities.

Love

Dallas

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Oh I did another cruel thing..Reminded me on your list.We had a pond on our street with ducks in it.I ran of a duck in her nest and stole her eggs.I took them home and set them up in an empty aquarium with some towels.And turned the light on.I was trying to hatch them.I told my mother I found them.She let me keep them..but after about what seems now to me a year.I realized they would never hatch.I took them and threw them in the street..The inside was powder.

I do feel really bad I did that..but not "ashamed".In fact it taught me..that we cant "replace" the mama bird nesting on her eggs.Unless you are a scientist and you know what you are doing.IOW..Its not nice to mess with mother nature.At least with duck eggs.I in that case was "inferior" to a duck as to my abilities.

Love

Dallas

I found a robin egg once on a nest laying in my grandma's yard. There was only one egg and the nest was laying on the ground, so I took it home and put it under my lamp so it would be warm. But it never hatched. What would I have done if it did hatch? How would I have fed it?

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I found a robin egg once on a nest laying in my grandma's yard. There was only one egg and the nest was laying on the ground, so I took it home and put it under my lamp so it would be warm. But it never hatched. What would I have done if it did hatch? How would I have fed it?

I know ..thats the stupid thing.Those little ducks were lucky they didnt hatch.I was maybe 9.Even as an adult I have tried to save baby birds and I ended up killing them.

Professionals (vets) dont have even close to the same success rate trying to nurture chicks as the Mama does.It is indeed a specialty and the Mama bird is the expert.

Love

Dallas

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
I know ..thats the stupid thing.Those little ducks were lucky they didnt hatch.I was maybe 9.Even as an adult I have tried to save baby birds and I ended up killing them.

Professionals (vets) dont have even close to the same success rate trying to nurture chicks as the Mama does.It is indeed a specialty and the Mama bird is the expert.

Love

Dallas

I guess I didn't think ahead and just thought it would be cool to raise my own robin from a little baby into a grown up bird. I think the movie "Fly Away Home" is probably one of the reasons, because she hatched duck eggs successfully and they followed her around. There should be a disclaimer on such movies and books telling kids that it doesn't actually work that way.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I guess I didn't think ahead and just thought it would be cool to raise my own robin from a little baby into a grown up bird. I think the movie "Fly Away Home" is probably one of the reasons, because she hatched duck eggs successfully and they followed her around. There should be a disclaimer on such movies and books telling kids that it doesn't actually work that way.

Well I agree there should.But I think children come up with those ideas themselves sometimes.I never saw a movie about a person being the mother of birds as a child.

Just like a I never saw a movie about a person growing tadpoles into frogs under their bed.And I tried that too.And the tadpoles died.

Love

Dallas

whereismynotecard

Treasure Hunter
Well I agree there should.But I think children come up with those ideas themselves sometimes.I never saw a movie about a person being the mother of birds as a child.

Just like a I never saw a movie about a person growing tadpoles into frogs under their bed.And I tried that too.And the tadpoles died.

Love

Dallas

I guess you just have to learn from your mistakes.