• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Teenagers Set Dog on Fire

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
It landed on me.

It took a great deal of bravery, but I walked out into the hallway and the moth flew away into the night. I thought I might not be able to stand to keep the moth on me long enough to get it out of my room, but if I hadn't, how would I have slept tonight? Knowing that there was a moth flying about...

This is another post of hers from that same thread not too long after the one you posted. She obviously cares a little, considering she made an effort to walk it out to where it could fly away, instead of killing it.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
I'm not getting cheeky. I'm just pointing out that I had already explained the problem with that post by you.
Yeah, but I was replying to Dallas when you posted a needless comment on how wrong you think I am :p

mball said:
Good for you. Most of us have had a similar experience. I accidentally ran over a squirrel once. It sucked and I wish it hadn't happened. That's pretty irrelevant, though, considering they were both complete accidents that we would avoid at all costs if we had any power to do so.

Good for me? I thought it was terrible. I still think it's terrible.

I agree with you on this point: if there had been another way, I would have avoided it. I feel bad for it. I didn't laugh at it. You wouldn't have either, and I think that you're awesome for it.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
This is another post of hers from that same thread not too long after the one you posted. She obviously cares a little, considering she made an effort to walk it out to where it could fly away, instead of killing it.

Good, I'm glad she's learning, it's certainly a step up from laughing at roadkill and pouring wax on bugs.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
The point to you is that it's not a furry animal. The point to me is that people torture things on any level - and that to me is wrong. Why can't you just agree to disagree with me on this one?

Because that's not the point of contention. We both agree that torturing living things is wrong. You even say "on any level". So, clearly you realize there are different levels to it. The point of my contention here is that the different levels is the key here.

To you, there is a clear difference between a mammal and a scaly creature on the grounds that the mammals are more like humans. I'm not ignoring your point, and I get your point - you think that there's no harm if blatant torture for pets or furry animals hasn't occurred. Fair enough, that's your opinion.

No, that's not what I think. Again, this would go much smoother if you'd actually read everything I say, and not just the bits that help your argument. I never said there's no harm if it's not a pet or furry animal. I clearly said the opposite. I said that there are different degrees of harm. Torturing bugs as a kid is equivalent to stealing another kid's toy when you're 7. It's not right, but in the grand scheme of things, it's not that big a deal.

It's not mine. I completely disagree because I believe in intent. I believe that if you've got no problem killing one thing, and don't feel bad for it whatsoever, you've got issues. Now, we can stand here and point at each other and say "your'e sick" "well YOU'RE sick" but it's not doing anyone any good and it's certainly not helping the dog that was set on fire. So I'm done.

But see, that's exactly where you're wrong, and that's my whole point. If you kill or torture a bug as a kid, that doesn't necessarily mean you could do anything close to that to a human. If you kill or torture a dog as the kids in this case did, there's a very real and good reason to believe they could do something similar to a human. It's precisely because of the huge difference betweena bug and a dog. That's the difference I was trying to point out when I pointed out that you've killed a bug before, but you've never killed anything like a mouse or cat or dog. That huge difference is the reason for that.

My bother had no problem killing bugs as a kid, now he has no problem torturing other animals like cats or dogs. I see a connection where there is no remourse, there is no learning. Where there is mal intent, it only grows. But that's just me.

Well, than there's a problem with your brother. However, that's an unusual case. Many kids torture bugs. They then grow up and realize they shouldn't do that to living things. I'm an example of that, and many people I know are further examples. So, it seems that your assessment of the situation is based on a single case that goes against the norm.

Last edited:

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Good, I'm glad she's learning, it's certainly a step up from laughing at roadkill and pouring wax on bugs.

Its more than a step IMHO..Its really the heart of Hannah.I think that sometimes she just tries to act tough and she is synical and you misread her heart.

I wouldnt if I were you sum up Hannah as a person that pours wax on bugs and laughs at road kill..IMHO that is a total mis-characterision of her.She says some funky stuff..But if you really care you would listen to all she says.

Ya'll are just mis-reading each other ..and reacting off of each other in a negative way.

(((HUGS))))

Love

Dallas

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation

No, she's not "learning". She already learned. As I said, and you ignored (surprisingly enough), she said early on in this thread that she felt bad about drowning a spider once. It was post #34.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Yeah, but I was replying to Dallas when you posted a needless comment on how wrong you think I am :p

I understand, I was just pointing out that I had already responded to that idea of yours. That was basically in place of reposting what I had said in the previous post.

Good for me? I thought it was terrible. I still think it's terrible.

:rolleyes: Oh, brother.

I agree with you on this point: if there had been another way, I would have avoided it. I feel bad for it. I didn't laugh at it. You wouldn't have either, and I think that you're awesome for it.

And I can guarantee you Hannah wouldn't have laughed at it either. I'm just glad you made it clear what you were getting at with that, so that we could show that it's still irrelevant.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
Young children need to develop a sense of humanity... they need to learn to understand that other beings suffer and that death is a one way process.

This can be a bit... unpleasant. Most children pass through this stage rather quickly and look at their past deeds with some shame.

Being human is tough and it takes a lot of time to learn how to be one.

wa:do

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
I agree...Hannah isnt your brother.She didnt "graduate" from killing bugs to tortuing dogs and cats.

Most people dont.I have never met in person a human being that as an adult killed a cat or a dog for fun.Or even a bug TBH.I have heard of them..I never encountered one though and Im sorry your brother does that..I would be angry too.

Love

Dallas

P.S Im going to send a picture of one of my guest..

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
Young children need to develop a sense of humanity... they need to learn to understand that other beings suffer and that death is a one way process.

This can be a bit... unpleasant. Most children pass through this stage rather quickly and look at their past deeds with some shame.

Yes ..we learn on or own..or our parents teach us..

My infant grandbaby takes DELIGHT in "petting the cat"..I watch him closely and he isnt "petting" anything..he is trying to grab there hair and pull it out..and he SQUEALS with delight..He doenst see the cat as a person..Or a being like a human.The cat to him is more like a "thing"..

Trust me Im teaching him.But I dont see him as "sadistic " or his actions towards the animal as "horrendous".

He just needs to learn..And I need to protect my cats!!!! LOL!!!

Love

Dallas

.lava

Veteran Member
Its more than a step IMHO..Its really the heart of Hannah.I think that sometimes she just tries to act tough and she is synical and you misread her heart.

I wouldnt if I were you sum up Hannah as a person that pours wax on bugs and laughs at road kill..IMHO that is a total mis-characterision of her.She says some funky stuff..But if you really care you would listen to all she says.

Ya'll are just mis-reading each other ..and reacting off of each other in a negative way.

(((HUGS))))

Love

Dallas

that's what i think as well :)

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd

Thank you, this is what I meant. It's interesting when they don't look back on their misdeeds with shame, though, which is why I was appauled that someone wasn't ashamed of their past with torturing living things.

Mball, we misunderstand each other far too much :)

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
IMG_0536-1.jpg

Beautiful girl!!!

Love

Dallas

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
Thank you, this is what I meant. It's interesting when they don't look back on their misdeeds with shame, though, which is why I was appauled that someone wasn't ashamed of their past with torturing living things.

Mball, we misunderstand each other far too much :)

Why do you have to feel shame, though? Is it not enough to understand what you did wrong and realize that you shouldn't do it again?

Also, I said I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't trying to be condescending, but you only upheld your statement as if there was nothing wrong with it. I disagree with PW's assertion that adults should feel shame about such things, but the way she said it, I understand what she's saying in the overall sense. The way you said it was what really made me respond.

Buttons*

Glass half Panda'd
Why do you have to feel shame, though? Is it not enough to understand what you did wrong and realize that you shouldn't do it again?

Also, I said I tried to give you the benefit of the doubt that you weren't trying to be condescending, but you only upheld your statement as if there was nothing wrong with it. I disagree with PW's assertion that adults should feel shame about such things, but the way she said it, I understand what she's saying in the overall sense. The way you said it was what really made me respond.

Fair enough. I understand why you'd feel that way. I agree wholeheartedly with PW, and just happened to be set off by reading someone's past where there was no hint of even feeling the slightest bit of remourse for it. Surely you can understand my anger at that.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
That spider girl lived in our garage for about six weeks..Then she went away..I dont know where she went but my husband and I did our best to let her have her space in there.

Love

Dallas

.lava

Veteran Member
That spider girl lived in our garage for about six weeks..Then she went away..I dont know where she went but my husband and I did our best to let her have her space in there.

Love

Dallas

how do you know it is a girl? :confused: it is beautiful. i love spiders, they are so calm.

.lava

Veteran Member
Fair enough. I understand why you'd feel that way. I agree wholeheartedly with PW, and just happened to be set off by reading someone's past where there was no hint of even feeling the slightest bit of remourse for it. Surely you can understand my anger at that.

i understand PW. yet i think sad is more proper word than shame for cruel stuff we did as a child even before we have a certain personality.

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
how do you know it is a girl? :confused: it is beautiful. i love spiders, they are so calm.

I dont know if it was a girl or a boy..I just think of all spiders as girls..Especially if they build a nest(web) and lay eggs..Thats probably sexist of me.

Plus she(it) was so pretty..

Love

Dallas

DallasApple

Depends Upon My Mood..
i understand PW. yet i think sad is more proper word than shame for cruel stuff we did as a child even before we have a certain personality.

No I think "shame on you" IMHO is appropriate if you are dealing with a child being cruel or indiferent to animals.

I just dont think as an adult you should carry or be labeled heavy shame ..Ya know?

Love

Dallas

Last edited: