• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Still love your guns, America? Fourteen elementary kids and teacher killed in Texas

We Never Know

No Slack
No, but I believe a mentally unstable and unsound person who lacks a gun may well try to do just as much harm -- but be unable to with a bat or a knife.

But to be truthful, I also know full well that people who even psychologists would judge to be mentally stable can be pushed over the edge by events they no longer feel they can control -- or by being goaded by vile pretend political and religious leaders, or crowds -- and commit heinous acts.

And I know that they will be more heinous if they have lots of firearms than they will if they have a nerf bat.

I asked you "Do you believe a mentally stable and mentally sound person commits mass shootings?"

Look at your answer. Its a people problem.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
And when the blood finishes drying, then no thought is given until the next slaughter of children in a school. Then during the next bloodbath, that too is not a time to use reason and do something either. Why even bother to pretend we care then?
Caring is fine. But it should be acted upon thoughtfully.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
In my opinion those kids probably had pills thrown at them since a very young age to mask their problems instead of having to deal with them or trying to fix them.
What evidence is there that pills are the cause?
Certainly, mental health issues are a problem.
I've urged increased care be given those in need.
And that mental health caregivers replace many
cop functions.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Emotion is the output of the algorithms that make us who and what we are. Without them, we cease to exist.

Amazing, sometimes -- somebody dies, that's a tragedy and tears everywhere -- then of course some nice pot-luck. But 14 little children -- that's not a tragedy, that's just a statistic.

I am a human being, I cannot feel that way. My algorithms are still producing outputs, because I haven't died inside.

To be honest, it doesn't make rational sense to me.
However I suspect the of the government taking away a person's right to own a gun outweighs the fear of being killed by one.
Reasonable gun control laws sound reasonable to me, but the threat of the government. I think that fear is deep in American culture.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Oh, yeah. Then why don't the politicians do anything?
Why don't they do a lot of things? Like how most Americans are pro-choice, pro-environment, pro-pot, pro-gay marriage and pro-gun regulations but progress is slow, not happening and under threat of reversal.
Could it be the politicians don't actually represent average Americans and instead cater to their loudest fan clubs and wealthiest donors?

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
A little decorum.

America has a young psychopath problem. Not a gun problem.

Guns were just fine until this sick in the head generation arrived on the scene.
Mass shootings have been going on in the US since at least the 60s, and of the recent shootings, the shooter responsible for the deadliest was 64 years old.

So I don't think it's fair to point to one generation.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
To be honest, it doesn't make rational sense to me.
However I suspect the of the government taking away a person's right to own a gun outweighs the fear of being killed by one.
Reasonable gun control laws sound reasonable to me, but the threat of the government. I think that fear is deep in American culture.
What are all these guns gonna do if Uncle Sam runs wild on you?
Not a damn thing in the end except draw out the inevitable.

We Never Know

No Slack
What evidence is there that pills are the cause?
Certainly, mental health issues are a problem.
I've urged increased care be given those in need.
And that mental health caregivers replace many
cop functions.

Well... older generations didn't get pills shoved down their throats when they were little kids through teenage years or longger because they were energetic, a little rowdy, a little too quiet, would rather be alone, etc.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Why don't they do a lot of things? Like how most Americans are pro-choice, pro-environment, pro-pot, pro-gay marriage and pro-gun regulations but progress is slow, not happening and under threat of reversal.
Could it be the politicians don't actually represent average Americans and instead cater to their loudest fan clubs and wealthiest donors?

Even democrats have to contend with gun owners in their districts. Enough to keep anything from getting done.

I looked at a few polls of what voter's top issues are. Gun control is always way down on the list. Right now the economy is at the top. Gun control was 7th one one list, didn't even make other lists.

Politicians are going to focus on the issues that get them elected. Gun control isn't the concern of the average American voter.

We Never Know

No Slack

"Most Americans"??

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Mass shootings have been going on in the US since at least the 60s, and of the recent shootings, the shooter responsible for the deadliest was 64 years old.

So I don't think it's fair to point to one generation.
They've been going on much longer than that. 100 years at least, I'd say, given the flood of weapons and plague of violence and death that alcohol prohibition left in its wake. And the "Walk of Death" happened in the 40s.
Howard Unruh - Wikipedia