• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Still love your guns, America? Fourteen elementary kids and teacher killed in Texas

Hold

Day Dreamer
Premium Member
No, I actually think maybe guns are just a kind of American fetish. I have yet to see an argument that explains how useful they are -- only "it's our constitutional right." Like fiddling with your own private bits.
Because Republicans, the NRA amd many Americans are intoxicated on guns and are so high they have lost all sense of reality when it comes to guns.
Money talks and integrity walks.......Politicians need money to be reelected and line their pockets. Hey, we have more kids and teachers to be sacrificed so what do the politicians and gun lobbies care.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Most Americans are sick of gun violence and mourning? Have you been reading the opinions in this thread? Most people questioning the wisdom of American gun laws are not American, and most of the Americans chiming in don't seem to want anything to change.

Exactly,
I'm not proud of it, but that's the reality. I think it is just deeply rooted into our culture.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Such an odd fetish.

To be fair, I can see why some people may need to own guns or find them necessary or at least preferable for safety and protection. If I lived in a neighborhood with a high crime or break-in rate, I would definitely prefer to own a gun in case I needed to defend myself.

This is an angle that advocates of stricter gun laws (of whom I'm one) shouldn't neglect to consider, in my opinion. Not everyone who owns or wants to own a gun is a gun fetishist with no need for one, although many obviously are.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Most Americans are sick of gun violence and mourning? Have you been reading the opinions in this thread? Most people questioning the wisdom of American gun laws are not American, and most of the Americans chiming in don't seem to want anything to change.

For some gun advocates, it's because, as I was recently told on this forum, the U.S. is supposedly just different from the rest of the world, so apparently, no matter what statistics about gun violence say or what the demonstrable outcomes of stricter gun control may be, American Exceptionalism (TM) entails that the U.S. has its own set of facts and its own reality that somehow differs from the rest of the planet.

It's a terrifyingly isolated and one-dimensional perspective, but at least it doesn't seem to be as common as it was in previous decades, if polls are anything to go by.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Emotion leads to tyranny.
Emotion is the output of the algorithms that make us who and what we are. Without them, we cease to exist.

Amazing, sometimes -- somebody dies, that's a tragedy and tears everywhere -- then of course some nice pot-luck. But 14 little children -- that's not a tragedy, that's just a statistic.

I am a human being, I cannot feel that way. My algorithms are still producing outputs, because I haven't died inside.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The wars in Vietnam, Afghanistan, and Iraq were all started by Boomers, and in the case of Vietnam, they were also the ones who committed the atrocities there.

I see no responsibility in that. It just makes me glad to see that things are finally changing.
Rubbish. I'm a boomer, and I can assure you that it was the boomers who were dodging the draft, while their elders were ramping up Vietnam.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
Rubbish. I'm a boomer, and I can assure you that it was the boomers who were dodging the draft, while their elders were ramping up Vietnam.

Not sure if you read my follow-up post, but here it is either way:

I was specifically talking about the ones who were influential in starting and supporting the war as well as those who committed the numerous war crimes there.

I agree the typical conscript has little choice. It's one reason I strongly oppose conscription.

Windwalker

Veteran Member
Premium Member
They have a person to blame. Not 100's millions of people.
They have a person with a gun to blame. And hundreds of millions?? You exaggerate greatly. There are only 329 million people in the U.S., which is where the bulk of gun owners are in the world, and where we are talking about. Less than 40% of them own guns, putting that figure at around 125 million. 125 million, is not "millions".

But of the 125 million who are rational, sensible, and responsible gun owners, how many agree we should do nothing about the gun problem we see in this country? If they are all as insane as that, then I would be even more concerned than I am about this country, where school shootings are just the price to be paid for our freedoms, for f*s sake.

And, if guns don't kill people, then would you support sending a soldier to the front line without a gun? Why would they need a gun, if it's just people who kill people?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
Do you believe a mentally stable and mentally sound person commits mass shootings?
No, but I believe a mentally unstable and unsound person who lacks a gun may well try to do just as much harm -- but be unable to with a bat or a knife.

But to be truthful, I also know full well that people who even psychologists would judge to be mentally stable can be pushed over the edge by events they no longer feel they can control -- or by being goaded by vile pretend political and religious leaders, or crowds -- and commit heinous acts.

And I know that they will be more heinous if they have lots of firearms than they will if they have a nerf bat.

We Never Know

No Slack
They have a person with a gun to blame. And hundreds of millions?? You exaggerate greatly. There are only 329 million people in the U.S., which is where the bulk of gun owners are in the world, and where we are talking about. Less than 40% of them own guns, putting that figure at around 125 million. 125 million, is not "millions".

But of the 125 million who are rational, sensible, and responsible, how many agree we should do nothing about the gun problem we see in this country?

And, if guns don't kill people, then would you support sending a soldier to the front line without a gun? Why would they need a gun, if it's just people who kill?

"125 million, is not "millions"
It sure isnt thousand lol

44% report living in a household with guns.

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
To be fair, I can see why some people may need to own guns or find them necessary or at least preferable for safety and protection. If I lived in a neighborhood with a high crime or break-in rate, I would definitely prefer to own a gun in case I needed to defend myself.

This is an angle that advocates of stricter gun laws (of whom I'm one) shouldn't neglect to consider, in my opinion. Not everyone who owns or wants to own a gun is a gun fetishist with no need for one, although many obviously are.

I realize this, but there are many who hold an idolatry level of reverence and obsession for guns. Guns are a useful tool, like fire extinguishers, except fire extinguishers don't have a creepy subculture surrounding them.

We Never Know

No Slack

But of the 125 million who are rational, sensible, and responsible gun owners, how many agree we should do nothing about the gun problem we see in this country? If they are all as insane as that, then I would be even more concerned than I am about this country, where school shootings are just the price to be paid for our freedoms, for f*s sake.

And, if guns don't kill people, then would you support sending a soldier to the front line without a gun? Why would they need a gun, if it's just people who kill people?

You must have missed this thread of mine...

However I also think...
-if you don't know how to use a gun, then you shouldn't own one.
-stricter background checks wouldn't hurt
-we don't need automatic weapons
-non-violent felons should be able to own a gun(to hunt for example)
-in a family home with kids they should be locked up
-if needed, a mental evaluation may be appropriate for gun ownership
Adding.. Anyone with a violent past and or violent conviction shouldn't own a gun.

Are you bias