• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Still love your guns, America? Fourteen elementary kids and teacher killed in Texas

We Never Know

No Slack
They've been going on much longer than that. 100 years at least, I'd say, given the flood of weapons and plague of violence and death that alcohol prohibition left in its wake. And the "Walk of Death" happened in the 40s.
Howard Unruh - Wikipedia

Alcohol is legal. Guns are legal. Both can and do get misused

Question?

A person gets drunk, drives, wrecks and kills a family of six.
Society blame the person, not the alcohol.

A person takes a gun and kills six people. Society blames the gun, not the person.

What's the difference?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I asked you "Do you believe a mentally stable and mentally sound person commits mass shootings?"

Look at your answer. Its a people problem.
So? Guns clearly make killing and hurting way easier, as evidenced by the fact fewer people are killed and injured when the attacker has a knife or other weapon.

We Never Know

No Slack
Yes, most Americans. Doesn't look that way in the hyper sensationalized, for-ratings (and thus sponsors and profits) news media, but most Americans actually do agree on several things.

Most Americans are religious in some way, so I don't think those most Americans are "pro-choice, pro-pot, pro-gay marriage" or pro transsexual.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Alcohol is legal. Guns are legal. Both can and do get misused

Question?

A person gets drunk, drives, wrecks and kills a family of six.
Society blame the person, not the alcohol.

A person takes a gun and kills six people. Society blames the gun, not the person.

What's the difference?
Society is stupid when it comes to alcohol, so much so it tries to pretend it's somehow different than a drug with "drugs and alcohol" rubbish, and the fact it's "socially acceptable" to intentionally abuse and overdose on alcohol.
It's also stupid with guns. I don't care what it's perspective and outlook is. It's societal stupidity.

We Never Know

No Slack
Society is stupid when it comes to alcohol, so much so it tries to pretend it's somehow different than a drug with "drugs and alcohol" rubbish, and the fact it's "socially acceptable" to intentionally abuse and overdose on alcohol.
It's also stupid with guns.

Is your answer is "society is stupid"?

Isn't that a people problem itself?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Most Americans are religious in some way, so I don't think those most Americans are "pro-choice, pro-pot, pro-gay marriage" or pro transsexual.
"Religous" tells us little. Such as, neo-Pagans are religious and are generally pro-all the aforementioned stuff. Christians as well are known for deviating from Scripture and being pro-things the Bible is strictly against.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I asked you "Do you believe a mentally stable and mentally sound person commits mass shootings?"

Look at your answer. Its a people problem.
I know something about such "people problems." I was, because of the abuse I suffered as a child, a very, very disturbed youngster, and I was sent to an institution at the age of 8 that cared for some of the worst disturbed kids (due to maltreatment) in Ontario. We were permitted to "act out," because how else to get to the core of what's going on inside -- but we were very carefully denied access to things that could lead to our acting out causing serious results.

And act out we did -- but without guns and knives, it did not much harm (although one boy did discover a pile of license plates that, if you hurled them like frisbees directly at somebody could do serious injury!)

Look, I get it. You and so many other Americans are enamoured of your guns, and any harm that results you will deny had anything at all to do with the gun and everything to do with the holder.

But then, as I said in another post, your next problem is to explain why America seems to be generating sociopaths at a rate so exceeding other nations (often, by curious happenstance, at a rate approximately equal to the rate of gun ownership).

We Never Know

No Slack
"Religous" tells us little. Such as, neo-Pagans are religious and are generally pro-all the aforementioned stuff. Christians as well are known for deviating from Scripture and being pro-things the Bible is strictly against.

Well I thought it was here that when we speak of religious people in the manner as I did, its generally referring to the bible, a god, or both. Thats most americans last time I checked.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Well I thought it was here that when we speak of religious people in the manner as I did, its generally referring to the bible, a god, or both. Thats most americans last time I checked.
Christians nor Jehovah have a monopoly on the terms religion, god, or other such related and similar words.
Amd America is a highly pluralistic society. There are the Indigenous beliefs, Sikhism, Buddhism, Hinduism, Islam, neo-Paganism, Satanists, I've even met someone who worships Minerva.
And, of course, Christians themselves don't even agree on that much when it comes to their theology. Father God and his Son who died for the world's sins is pretty much where their agreeance begins and ends.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Why does this keep happening?
Simply put, because people are allowed to have guns of all kinds, as many as they want to.
This does not happen in a land without guns.
Why don't human lives matter more than human rights? It is selfish and appalling.

Compare/contrast gun laws in Japan to the United States.

Japan has almost completely eliminated gun deaths — here's how
  • Japan is a country of more than 127 million people, but it rarely sees more than 10 gun deaths a year.
  • Culture is one reason for the low rate, but gun control is a major one, too.
  • Japan has a long list of tests that applicants must pass before gaining access to a small pool of guns.
Japan has almost completely eliminated gun deaths — here's how

The weapons law of Japan begins by stating "No one shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords", and very few exceptions are allowed. Citizens are permitted to possess firearms for hunting and sport shooting, but only after submitting to a lengthy licensing procedure.

Overview of gun laws by nation - Wikipedia

“The only guns that Japanese citizens can legally buy and use are shotguns and air rifles, and it’s not easy to do. The process is detailed in David Kopel’s landmark study on Japanese gun control, published in the 1993 Asia Pacific Law Review, still cited as current. (Kopel, no left-wing loony, is a member of the National Rifle Association and once wrote in National Review that looser gun control laws could have stopped Adolf Hitler.)

To get a gun in Japan, first, you have to attend an all-day class and pass a written test, which are held only once per month. You also must take and pass a shooting range class. Then, head over to a hospital for a mental test and drug test (Japan is unusual in that potential gun owners must affirmatively prove their mental fitness), which you’ll file with the police. Finally, pass a rigorous background check for any criminal record or association with criminal or extremist groups, and you will be the proud new owner of your shotgun or air rifle. Just don’t forget to provide police with documentation on the specific location of the gun in your home, as well as the ammo, both of which must be locked and stored separately. And remember to have the police inspect the gun once per year and to re-take the class and exam every three years.

Even the most basic framework of Japan’s approach to gun ownership is almost the polar opposite of America’s. U.S. gun law begins with the second amendment's affirmation of the “right of the people to keep and bear arms” and narrows it down from there. Japanese law, however, starts with the 1958 act stating that “No person shall possess a firearm or firearms or a sword or swords,” later adding a few exceptions. In other words, American law is designed to enshrine access to guns, while Japan starts with the premise of forbidding it.”

From: A Land Without Guns: How Japan Has Virtually Eliminated Shooting Deaths

This policy is very similar to the Laws of the Baha’i Faith:

173. It hath been forbidden you to carry arms unless essential # 159

Bahá’u’lláh confirms an injunction contained in the Bayán which makes it unlawful to carry arms, unless it is necessary to do so. With regard to circumstances under which the bearing of arms might be “essential” for an individual, ‘Abdu’l-Bahá gives permission to a believer for self-protection in a dangerous environment. Shoghi Effendi in a letter written on his behalf has also indicated that, in an emergency, when there is no legal force at hand to appeal to, a Bahá’í is justified in defending his life. There are a number of other situations in which weapons are needed and can be legitimately used; for instance, in countries where people hunt for their food and clothing, and in such sports as archery, marksmanship, and fencing. The Kitáb-i-Aqdas, pp. 240-241

We Never Know

No Slack
You're that desperate to blame anything but the guns, eh?

My guns haven't killed anyone. Why should I blame them.
Not to mention what I posted happens. You're just still sore about that thread where we talked about guns and Chicago.

Stay tuned and I will tag you in a post already in this thread.

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
I favor non-mentally deranged individuals having the right to possess firearms for self-defense and hunting food or for sport, I oppose enabling mentally deranged persons the means to perpetrate mass shootings!

(edit0 **Perhaps we can agree to the legality of civilians possessing bolt-action rifles, pump-action shotguns, and six shooter guns like revolvers, as well as prohibiting the private ownership of semi-auto firearms with high capacity magazines.**
What good would that do?

We Never Know

No Slack
When I purchased my ,357 magnum, I had to have a firearm owner I.D. card issued by the Illinois state police, A qualified firearm owner in Illinois must be a legal adult Illinois resident, be a non-felon, have no criminal convictions for domestic abuse, have no convictions for assault or battery, have not been institutionalized in a mental hospital within the last five years, nor have been legally found to be mentally defective.

When lawfully possessing my 357 Magnum outside my home. I need to have my FOID card as we as an Illinois concealed carried permit,

Here ya go

@9-10ths_Penguin

When I purchased my ,357 magnum, I had to have a firearm owner I.D. card issued by the Illinois state police, A qualified firearm owner in Illinois must be a legal adult Illinois resident, be a non-felon, have no criminal convictions for domestic abuse, have no convictions for assault or battery, have not been institutionalized in a mental hospital within the last five years, nor have been legally found to be mentally defective.

When lawfully possessing my 357 Magnum outside my home. I need to have my FOID card as we as an Illinois concealed carried permit,

Last edited:

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
We had guns in school for shop projects.
Redoing the stocks and if needed rebluing them.
Not to mention near every vehicle in the school parking lot had a gun/guns in them.
Ttucks with gun racks of several guns and cars with them in the back seat.
That's the whole point. It's not the guns.

Something happened with people which is where the focus needs to be to figure out what the hell has caused this nurturing psychopathic spawn that's being raised.