• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

South Korea president says Trump deserves Nobel

suncowiam

South Korea president says Trump deserves Nobel Peace Prize

Yoiks! Has the President of South Korea gone insane?

Comments?

My guess is that the Nobel Committee would only give Trump the award if they were forced to recognize he played a part in a peace agreement that produced results. Unlike someone, not too long ago, who got the Peace Prize just for things he might do and not for anything he had actually done.

I was hesitant to establish a correlation with Trump and the ongoing peace talks. I wasn't concluding anything but just waiting and seeing as more data comes in.

A referral from the president of SK is actually pretty substantial so I do believe Trump has a major influence in this now. Good for him. I did feel Obama had been soft in situations like NK and Syria, even though I favored him. This should be a learning experience for the Dems.

Last edited:

Quetzal

A little to the left and slightly out of focus.
Premium Member
South Korea president says Trump deserves Nobel Peace Prize

Comments?

My guess is that the Nobel Committee would only give Trump the award if they were forced to recognize he played a part in a peace agreement that produced results. Unlike someone, not too long ago, who got the Peace Prize just for things he might do and not for anything he had actually done.
I say "Yeah... but...", let me explain.

The only reason this is even part of the discussion is because NK didn't call our bluff. It was a dangerous game of chicken that could have gotten tens of thousands of people killed and re-ignited the conflict. Let's face it. Trump got lucky. He got lucky that NK, out of desperation, sought peace talks because they didn't have much else going for them.

Now, to be fair, I can't argue with the results, but I can argue with the process that got us here. My problem is that this should not become a norm for international politics. "Do what I say or we will blow you up" is not the rhetoric of a peace maker. I am not going to speak to the whole Obama thing because I put that soap box away years ago.

Does he deserve it? If we have a long term plan of stability in the region and his sanctions led to said plan, yes, yes he does. But I am skeptical of NK right now. This 180 is timely and I feel they are taking advantage of this to gain something later. We will see.

Jumi

A referral from the president of SK is actually pretty substantial so I do believe Trump has a major influence in this bow. Good for him. I did feel Obama had been soft in situations like NK and Syria, even though I favored him. This should be a learning experience for the Dems.
Obama was the nicer guy, but US foreign policy didn't get much wind and the admin failed many times with Russia. I didn't like how Obama admin handled Syria and Russia and didn't see any change in Clinton there, only more of the same. No matter how crazy it sounds to some folks, I prefered Trump for that. Though he's disappointed in many other ways, especially how bad things continue to be between Russia and the West, and what kind of atmosphere has developed in the US regard to racism.

Quetzal

Premium Member
I was hesitant to establish a correlation with Trump and the ongoing peace talks. I wasn't concluding anything but just waiting and seeing as more data comes in.

A referral from the president of SK is actually pretty substantial so I do believe Trump has a major influence in this bow. Good for him. I did feel Obama had been soft in situations like NK and Syria, even though I favored him. This should be a learning experience for the Dems.
I think so, too. We have seen two examples from two ends of the spectrum. Obama was a bit too soft while I might argue Trump was a bit too dramatic/aggressive. A middle ground would be nice.

David1967

Premium Member

I think his intentions are good. According to my wife, the younger generation likes him but the older ones who were witness to the atrocities of the communists during the war do not agree with him. I cant help but worry that he is falling into the same trap that Neville Chamberlain fell into with Hitler with the "Peace for our time" fiasco. A good man with good intentions but incredibly naïve. I hope I am wrong.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
Nonsense. I'm not aware of Trump doing anything in regard to this subject but engage in a childish Twitter flame war and threats. But the Nobel Peace Prize has been a joke and meaningless for decades with all the warmongering criminals they've given it to.

Quetzal

Premium Member
According to my wife, the younger generation likes him but the older ones who were witness to the atrocities of the communists during the war do not agree with him.
Who can blame them? What a train wreck.

Can you imagine though if Xi, Putin(or Lavrov), Kim, Moon and Trump shared a peace prize for ending the Korean war? I think the Nobel committee would commit suicide before doing that even if the Koreas united and dismantled all the camps.

Henry Kissinger won one once, as did Yassar Arafat and I don't remember them topping themselves after that...

David1967

Premium Member
Obama was the nicer guy, but US foreign policy didn't get much wind and the admin failed many times with Russia. I didn't like how Obama admin handled Syria and Russia and didn't see any change in Clinton there, only more of the same. No matter how crazy it sounds to some folks, I prefered Trump for that. Though he's disappointed in many other ways, especially how bad things continue to be between Russia and the West, and what kind of atmosphere has developed in the US regard to racism.

Great point Jumi. I that Obama was the nicer guy. In fact I would rather hang out with him than Trump. Unfortunately being the nice guy doesn't often command respect from potential enemies. Guys like Putin or Jong Un may hate Trump, but they respect him as an adversary.

David1967

Premium Member
I say "Yeah... but...", let me explain.

The only reason this is even part of the discussion is because NK didn't call our bluff. It was a dangerous game of chicken that could have gotten tens of thousands of people killed and re-ignited the conflict. Let's face it. Trump got lucky. He got lucky that NK, out of desperation, sought peace talks because they didn't have much else going for them.

Now, to be fair, I can't argue with the results, but I can argue with the process that got us here. My problem is that this should not become a norm for international politics. "Do what I say or we will blow you up" is not the rhetoric of a peace maker. I am not going to speak to the whole Obama thing because I put that soap box away years ago.

Does he deserve it? If we have a long term plan of stability in the region and his sanctions led to said plan, yes, yes he does. But I am skeptical of NK right now. This 180 is timely and I feel they are taking advantage of this to gain something later. We will see.

You think the whole thing with Jong Un promising to stop nuclear tests has anything to do with the mountain caving in on his testing facility? I just don't see him coming to the table out of the goodness of his heart.

Quetzal

Premium Member
You think the whole thing with Jong Un promising to stop nuclear tests has anything to do with the mountain caving in on his testing facility? I just don't see him coming to the table out of the goodness of his heart.
I didn't know that happened, but that makes a bit more sense, doesn't it? I don't trust Jong Un, at all. I am also cautious of what might happen when our own regime changes. Will NK take advantage? My concern is long term stability. I just have a tough time seeing it right now, the change is too drastic for me to buy in.

Jumi

Great point Jumi. I that Obama was the nicer guy. In fact I would rather hang out with him than Trump. Unfortunately being the nice guy doesn't often command respect from potential enemies. Guys like Putin or Jong Un may hate Trump, but they respect him as an adversary.
I think he commanded respect, but more as an avowed enemy after things deteriorated. There were too many games going on with Russia and Obama admin. When Trump promised a reset, it was enough to get my interest. I live near Russia so the atmosphere like this didn't make me happy:

ad_218043059.jpg

David1967

Premium Member
I didn't know that happened, but that makes a bit more sense, doesn't it?

Apparently the number of explosions created a rather large cavern that caused the collapse.
North Korea nuclear test site has collapsed and may be out of action – China study

I am also cautious of what might happen when our own regime changes. Will NK take advantage?

History says they will. Again, I hope to be proven wrong.

My concern is long term stability. I just have a tough time seeing it right now, the change is too drastic for me to buy in.

Agree.

von bek

All I know is that the person responsible for bringing peace to the Korean peninsula and lifting the threat of nuclear incineration from off the South Korean and Japanese people would definitely be deserving of a Nobel Peace Prize. (We're not there just yet.) I wouldn't care if I agreed with that person on any other issue.

suncowiam

I think so, too. We have seen two examples from two ends of the spectrum. Obama was a bit too soft while I might argue Trump was a bit too dramatic/aggressive. A middle ground would be nice.

Even if Trump is too aggressive, we have to look at the results.

Trump is getting results. That suggests that his aggressiveness is actually just right. We haven't started a formal war with NK even with the same aggressiveness.

Last edited:

suncowiam

I have to agree with you

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
That is utterly self-defeating even if it is true, though (which I doubt anyway), and we better acknowledge that ASAP.