• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skeptic Proves That Covid 19 Isn't A Hoax

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I remember such backward thinking from the 50s.
Hence it being a cultural trend.
Anti-intellectualism in American Life - Wikipedia
Hofstadter argued that both anti-intellectualism and utilitarianism were consequences, in part, of the democratization of knowledge. Moreover, he saw these themes as historically embedded in America's national fabric, an outcome of its colonial European and evangelical Protestant heritage. He contended that American Protestantism's anti-intellectual tradition valued the spirit over intellectual rigour.[1] He also noted that Catholicism could have been expected to add a distinctive leaven to the intellectual dialogue, but American Catholicism lacked intellectual culture, due to its failure to develop an intellectual tradition or produce its own strong class of intellectuals.

Dan From Smithville

Monsters! Monsters from the id! Forbidden Planet
Staff member
Premium Member
You think we didn't have mouth breathers who dissed "pointy headed intellectuals",
"ivory tower professors", "bookworms", "Poindexters", "nerds", "absent minded
professors", & "brainiacs" long before today? Don't forget that when I was in
public elementary school, teachers led us in prayer & read us Bible stories.
I didn't know the school system was that old.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I wouldn't worry that it's getting worse.
Aside from the problem of how to measure change, think of
positive changes....more atheists, social progress, & more atheists.
Which is sorely lacking behind the rest of the world. Even Ireland has basically curb stomped Catholicism and significantly and likely irreparably weakened that connection (even overtaking America in trans rights before Trump went backwards on the topic)

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
YES! Yes and yes and yes! That is exactly what I think. And it is exactly what the medical profession thinks...and they've had a bit more training and experience than I have.

Look, as of now, the US is accumulating more than 65,000 new cases A DAY. You next door neighbour, Canada, is under 200! Why is that? Canada is trying to behave as if it is one community, trying to overcome a problem, and trying to do it together. Everywhere I go in Toronto (north America's 4th largest city), people are wearing masks and social distancing. We drink out doors, and we don't drink with people who are not in a carefully chosen, and promise-bound, social bubble. My bubble consists of 7 people, and nobody else gets in it.

Yeah, it's a pain! Yeah, we want to party again. But we all want to be alive to party together -- so we've decide that we can wait, just a little while.

How long do you think the gods of science will find a cure so the economy can get back to people having jobs and such?

It takes years to find cures-so maybe year 2100 everything will be fine?

Something's got to give.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Which is sorely lacking behind the rest of the world. Even Ireland has basically curb stomped Catholicism and significantly and likely irreparably weakened that connection (even overtaking America in trans rights before Trump went backwards on the topic)
Ireland...legalizing abortion only in 2018, but not effective til last year.
We gots them potato eat'n boozers beat!

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
What about other illnesses?

Social distancing, masks, etc could help with those. Just because we can treat it doesn't mean we can't prevent it from happening if we knew other coronaviruses will react and disappear to the same treatment prevention as we have for this virus.

This seems to be, again, a trivialization of this virus. It is much more contagious and with a longer incubation period than most other viruses. because of that, asymptomatic transmission is a major concern for this virus in a way that it is not for others.

Again, nobody is saying we know how to treat people who have it. What we know is how to reduce spread to manageable levels. And that alone means more people will survive because the hospitals won't be overwhelmed.

This is basic. It is precisely where the US is failing miserably and other countries are doing comparatively well.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Every country has different factors that help with treating symptoms of COVID. I just find it unrealistic to assume there would be a cure just because we relieve the symptoms. The virus will still be around. Maybe we just put too much faith in science as a general means of solving problems without considering the variables that differ from country to country that helps success.

A lot of times I just think "they" tell the public what they want to hear until they resolve the real problem as not to frighten the public.

Well, that is partly the problem with the US response. The government has minimized this and ignored it while it grows out of control. We *had* a chance. In fact, we had multiple chances. And we failed.

Nobody is claiming to have a cure at this point. But it can be managed and the harm can be minimized *if* people take responsibility and do some basic things like wearing masks and social distancing. And we *know* this works to reduce the spread of this virus. To ignore that seems, to me, to be criminal negligence.

The differences between countries is trivial compared to the similarities in this. The reason the US is being hit so hard is that we have repeatedly ignored health experts and refused to take basic precautions.

Nobody knows if there will be a vaccine. Even less, whether that vaccine will need to be renewed periodically or not. The *hope* is that we will see something early next year. But there are no guarantees.

In your last statement, you are assuming 'they' know how to solve the problem. Well, there is no way to 'quietly' solve this one. People have to do what has been explained many times. Until they do, this won't get under control.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Ireland...legalizing abortion only in 2018, but not effective til last year.
We gots them potato eat'n boozers beat!
Yes. It was recent. But they got the ball rolling. In America abortio. Rights were granted favor by 1 vote. Amd the next election could change that vote.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
The situation kind of reminds me of the movie, "Boy in the Bubble".

Some people can only take so much restriction and isolation and eventually, for those so inclined, it gets to that point where you just have to take the chance and step outside and face the fear no matter what happens, or simply stay in that bubble forever.

Yeah, your example assumes it will go on forever. Evidence of that please.

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
The "covid-19" hypothesis is NOT about AGE as vira of course don´t recognizes age. It´s all about the actual standing immune system conditions in every person which is depending of natural food, daily motion, nice social relations and not too much daily stress.