• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skeptic Proves That Covid 19 Isn't A Hoax

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Except others are suffering as well. What he did was akin to someone being drunk and driving because they think they can handle it and have everything under control.

That's what fear of the unknown does. People have different reactions to this COVID issue. It's sad and every person is affected by other people's actions. Maybe it's best to talk about what to do about it, though. We can call people idiots all we want but that doesn't address the underlining issue of emotions being involved in these behaviors. It's good they do have helplines for the COVID crises and things like that to help people cope with anxiety. I don't know if many if not the majority do things just because or that they don't care about other people. These emotions are pretty new for many people.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
The situation kind of reminds me of the movie, "Boy in the Bubble".

Some people can only take so much restriction and isolation and eventually, for those so inclined, it gets to that point where you just have to take the chance and step outside and face the fear no matter what happens, or simply stay in that bubble forever.
There is no forever with this. That is, again, not the case. Its called patience. Amd stepping out of that bubble, its nothing but denial to not see how disasterous that has been.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That's what fear of the unknown does.
Its not that unknowm anymore. Science and medical journals are publishing covid articles like it's a hot selling fad. Thats happening because weve learnes so much over the past several months.
Ignorance and claims of not knowing are inexcusable at this point.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This sentence doesn't really make sense.

The virus will affect other people if asymptomatic "public" spread it around. The "public" doesn't even have to be near the victim. They can give the virus to someone else who gives it to the victim.

That's the whole point to containment methods when we don't yet have vaccines or cures. If everyone did the right things( masks, hand sanitizer, distancing, no parties to spread the disease) we could keep down the infection rate until such treatments are available. That keeps the load off of the government and hospitals and such. It keeps people alive, until we can better deal with the infection. Even when people do get sick, a 500 bed hospital can better treat 300 C19 patients than 800. How hard is that to understand?

At the moment, containing the virus is really the best we've got. No guarantees, but it's better than damn the torpedoes!
Tom

Where is the balance between thinking you are asymptomatic all of the sudden or knowing you don't have the disease but still helping others nonetheless?

What I meant, though, was.... of course the disease can spread and does spread from person to person. It's not more that it will spread, just the risks are higher with close contact with others who may have it. Since we don't know, I guess we can practice social distancing until there is a cure?

After awhile, we need a balance.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
That makes it seem the virus "will" affect other people if an asymptomatic public were near him or her. It's a possibility he may have. It depends on the other people and whether how acceptable they are to be seriously affected. I mean, when I went to the doctors I literally have to try not to cough or sneeze cause of the dust in the air or heat because some nurses jump back and even switch nurses as if I got the plague. Almost as if I went to sleep healthy and woke up 24 hours later and became asymptomatic. There's a lot of emotions involve.
Early on, even before California's lockdown, I was at my doctor's office, and due to the symptoms I had that were similar to Covid I was told to stay home, given a doctors note explaining it, and shown out a backdoor like a leper.
It was all a justified precaution. It was weird, sure, but nothing to get upset over.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Where is the balance between thinking you are asymptomatic all of the sudden or knowing you don't have the disease but still helping others nonetheless?

What I meant, though, was.... of course the disease can spread and does spread from person to person. It's not more that it will spread, just the risks are higher with close contact with others who may have it. Since we don't know, I guess we can practice social distancing until there is a cure?

After awhile, we need a balance.
Thats why people have been stressing we wear a mask in public. So incase we are asymptomatic carriers amd dont know it we are greatly reducing the chances we spread it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
That's a classic example of the problem. Because it's a tiny step away from "I don't care if I get it and I'll carry on as usual if I do. If someone else is worried, it's their problem. And I don't believe in medical science and all the positive treatment news is just fake"
I think people should be allowed to take the risk or play it safe. It is true that one should also be cognizant of other people. It's why I still personally wear a mask whenever I go to the store and go to other places of business.

For those that think the virus is fake or conspiracy, well that's just plain insanity. It's real enough and yes it does kill people at times.

Then of course you're also faced with the the issue of keeping a roof over your head and food on the table so the risk vs reward comes into play.

Eventually you're going to get to that intersect called the rock and a hard place where person must decide where they could muster up the courage to step outside or stay in the bubble and starve to death.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
All the entitled whelps, science deniers, whatever the bs excuse, they way they have been and are still behaving our only chance for containment might be martial law.
They do that, and the country will have a civil war on their hands.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
They do that, and the country will have a civil war on their hands.
Sadly. Fighting for their right to infect others because theybdont want to accept covid is real, it poses real dangers, and their actions do effect people who arent them. Fighting because they dont even ask, they demand their country do for them. What they can do for their country just isnt something they can be bothered with, not even as a consideration.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Its not that unknowm anymore. Science and medical journals are publishing covid articles like it's a hot selling fad. Thats happening because weve learnes so much over the past several months.
Ignorance and claims of not knowing are inexcusable at this point.

It's still the unknown. To say we know everything-especially this 'new' virus-is really jumping the gun. Even doctor's know there are some things no matter how much we study there will be an X factor. It does comfort people to not think there is an unknown factor. That, or the "god of the gaps" to put it in context and analogy rather than religion. I doubt any scientist working on this new virus will tell you they know everything about it.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
It's so hard...I wanted to make a joke, say something both witty and snide, poke fun at how many times the same mistake is being and is going to be made...and I can't. Dying, even for those who lack some common sense, is too final.

If it does turn out to be the "cautionary tale" that makes other people -- hopefully even a lot of other people -- make better choices, then that will be a good thing. But the dying...no, that's never a good thing.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Early on, even before California's lockdown, I was at my doctor's office, and due to the symptoms I had that were similar to Covid I was told to stay home, given a doctors note explaining it, and shown out a backdoor like a leper.
It was all a justified precaution. It was weird, sure, but nothing to get upset over.

Well, for me I was running too much and have a strained thigh and swelling in my right leg. They rushed me to the hospital couple of days ago to rule out a blood clot. So, it's not all scientific.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thats why people have been stressing we wear a mask in public. So incase we are asymptomatic carriers amd dont know it we are greatly reducing the chances we spread it.

Gosh. If masks were all we need for coronaviruses, we would have been ahead a long time ago. ("Just" sayin').

Do you think we should have masks, social distancing, etc "until" we find a cure?

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
The situation kind of reminds me of the movie, "Boy in the Bubble".

Some people can only take so much restriction and isolation and eventually, for those so inclined, it gets to that point where you just have to take the chance and step outside and face the fear no matter what happens, or simply stay in that bubble forever.

And yet, somehow, the rest of the developed world managed to get their numbers down.

This is the problem: there has been a horrible mismanagement in the US concerning this virus: lack of basic medical supplies, lack of testing, lack of contact tracing, etc. THESE are the steps other places have taken to get through this. And it works.

But, because of confused messaging, denialism, and a simple unwillingness to follow through with our initial steps, the US has opened up *far* too early and our numbers and deaths show it. And it isn't like people weren't told by the experts what to expect. And yet, we did it anyway.

We are undergoing *two* epidemics: one is COVID-19, and the other is bullheadedness and stupidity. The latter is far more dangerous in the long term and makes the former more dangerous than it would have been.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Gosh. If masks were all we need for coronaviruses, we would have been ahead a long time ago. ("Just" sayin').

Do you think we should have masks, social distancing, etc "until" we find a cure?
No one has said thats all it takes. We still need hamdwashing. We still need social distance. We still need to avoid touching our faces before weve washed our hands.
Amd until we have a viable treatment or vaccine to prevent an overload of cases and overstressed hospitals in crises mode, yes. We need to keep doing those things. It's not just our own life and wellbeing that depends on it.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
It's still the unknown. To say we know everything-especially this 'new' virus-is really jumping the gun. Even doctor's know there are some things no matter how much we study there will be an X factor. It does comfort people to not think there is an unknown factor. That, or the "god of the gaps" to put it in context and analogy rather than religion. I doubt any scientist working on this new virus will tell you they know everything about it.
I never claimed we know everything. We know tons more than we did when this outbreak began. Thats a fact.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member

YES! Yes and yes and yes! That is exactly what I think. And it is exactly what the medical profession thinks...and they've had a bit more training and experience than I have.

Look, as of now, the US is accumulating more than 65,000 new cases A DAY. You next door neighbour, Canada, is under 200! Why is that? Canada is trying to behave as if it is one community, trying to overcome a problem, and trying to do it together. Everywhere I go in Toronto (north America's 4th largest city), people are wearing masks and social distancing. We drink out doors, and we don't drink with people who are not in a carefully chosen, and promise-bound, social bubble. My bubble consists of 7 people, and nobody else gets in it.

Yeah, it's a pain! Yeah, we want to party again. But we all want to be alive to party together -- so we've decide that we can wait, just a little while.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
No one has said thats all it takes. We still need hamdwashing. We still need social distance. We still need to avoid touching our faces before weve washed our hands.
Amd until we have a viable treatment or vaccine to prevent an overload of cases and overstressed hospitals in crises mode, yes. We need to keep doing those things. It's not just our own life and wellbeing that depends on it.

Do you think we should have all of these until there is a cure?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
I never claimed we know everything. We know tons more than we did when this outbreak began. Thats a fact.
And that's very true. And while we may not know everything, it's not a bad idea to pay careful attention to what we do know, and factor in what we learned in previous, similar situations. Those learnings may not apply, completely, but I'm willing to be they're not completely wrong, either.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member

Yes, absolutely. Together with extensive testing and contact tracing and quarantines. The experience of other countries shows this works.