• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skeptic Proves That Covid 19 Isn't A Hoax

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
I never suggested we "carry on as usual." Obviously we should take precautions. I highly doubt that this virus is as deadly as the Spanish flu, though. Based on the research I've done, it seems to be the third worst pandemic in the last hundred years, with the Spanish flu being the worst, the 1957 flu (which also originated in China) being the second worst, and the coronavirus being the third worst. Although I would argue that the polio epidemic of the 40s and 50s was worse than COVID due to the high risk of survivors being paralyzed. So far with COVID, while there can be some serious complications, it does not seem that survivors end up with effects as devastating as those of polio.

How do you know that?

Rational Agnostic

How do you know that?

Cuz I've not heard of reports of paralysis, or survivors needing to live in an iron lung as was the case with polio. The worst long term affects I've heard of in survivors of COVID are a persisitent, chronic cough, and some dizziness/clumsiness. And I'm not minimizing those things. But I'd be a lot more terrified of a virus that could make me a quadriplegic. That's a fate worse than death, at least in my opinion.

Deeje

Avid Bible Student
Premium Member
I think most will realize the virus is real enough and it is dangerous to certain people who happened to be vulnerable.

Yes, to those with immune system deficiencies or lung diseases like asthma, or the elderly, it can be a death sentence.

The thing is, it's obviously not dangerous to most people. Just the moderate few that are affected and don't respond well. Most people will get through it just fine.
80% have mild or no symptoms. The thing is, we don’t know who those people might be infecting, with dire consequences. Best to take the precautions for their sake.

People react differently to the unknown and uncertainty as to whether the virus will affect them. Someone who ends up acting like it's the bubonic plague of the middle ages, while others will just realize it's an aspect of nature in face of something that is going to be around a long long time if not permanently and accept things like mortality and risk in face of something that has no cure.
It’s sad seeing the pandemic treated with such opposite extremes, when a balanced approach that sees personal rights put aside for the benefit of others would keep more people in the vulnerable groups from becoming victims.

Hopefully those who survive the virus will gain herd immunity and the millions who were affected will not need a vaccine. More research needs to be conducted. The global outcome is all still very unknown.

Shaul

Premium Member
This person’s senseless death is proof this pandemic isn’t a hoax. Because you don’t need to prove established truth that it isn’t a hoax. It is just sad confirmation of already known truth.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Cuz I've not heard of reports of paralysis, or survivors needing to live in an iron lung as was the case with polio. The worst long term affects I've heard of in survivors of COVID are a persisitent, chronic cough, and some dizziness/clumsiness. And I'm not minimizing those things. But I'd be a lot more terrified of a virus that could make me a quadriplegic. That's a fate worse than death, at least in my opinion.
https://www.newsweek.com/scans-reveal-heart-damage-over-half-covid-19-patients-study-1517293
https://medicalxpress.com/news/2020-07-neurological-symptoms-children-covid-.html

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
You appear to have missed the cardiac and neurological damage that many are expressing, as noted by @Revoltingest