• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Skeptic Proves That Covid 19 Isn't A Hoax

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
When I read about this the natural reaction was - silly idiot, got what he deserved perhaps - but if he was quite young (*) he was likely in the group that do tend to take more risks or can't assess them accurately, and perhaps might not be so bothered about what he did having any effect on others. So I would tend to see this as a costly mistake and hope it would be a warning to others - but that is probably unlikely too, given that many young people often just don't process information in a triaged manner as they should. Death being a bit of a bummer after all rather than an inconvenience.

* Apparently he was 30, so perhaps not that young. :oops:

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
This seems to be, again, a trivialization of this virus. It is much more contagious and with a longer incubation period than most other viruses. because of that, asymptomatic transmission is a major concern for this virus in a way that it is not for others.

Again, nobody is saying we know how to treat people who have it. What we know is how to reduce spread to manageable levels. And that alone means more people will survive because the hospitals won't be overwhelmed.

This is basic. It is precisely where the US is failing miserably and other countries are doing comparatively well.

I honestly disagree with the viruses comparison. I wish I had the data but it would make sense that there are worse viruses that lingered around until they died off the publicity or found some treatment even without cures. Ebola and things like that are such a low risk I looked up-at least in the states. I'd have to look it up but US had some plague viruses (or something similar) that nearly wiped a lot of us out (40s I think). It was more a 100% you will catch it virus rather than one like this one that most have symptoms but not immediately affected seriously. Maybe because it's new and made a political engine, don't know.

Personally, I see the asymptomatic thing one of the big product of fear (not saying people aren't asymptomatic-it's just a foundation of why people fear). Who goes to sleep healthy and wakes up with a respiratory virus? Then when they wake up, they think 24 hours later they'll affect people?

Of course be careful, take care of yourself, but say if its allergy season. What reason would one think they have the disease unless they experience symptoms they are not familiar with or cause them concern (like anything else)? Gosh.

You know how many viruses we can be asymptomatic for? But it seems rare we catch these X-viruses, though. So no publicity about it. Doesn't mean they don't exist just people aren't concerned about them.

It's serious yes, I just think we're not taking it into perspective. It's good to compare with other viruses and things like that and see how many people who have not caught it rather than just the cases that are tested and the deaths. Also, deaths from illnesses aren't isolated. There's multiple reasons people die. A lot of times because of the result of illnesses rather than the illness itself. If we knew all the viruses in the world, we can assume which viruses are and are not worse from each other. Since we don't know I wouldn't assume no other worsen virus exist. Maybe most likely not in the US (other viruses) but definitely existent.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, that is partly the problem with the US response. The government has minimized this and ignored it while it grows out of control. We *had* a chance. In fact, we had multiple chances. And we failed.

Nobody is claiming to have a cure at this point. But it can be managed and the harm can be minimized *if* people take responsibility and do some basic things like wearing masks and social distancing. And we *know* this works to reduce the spread of this virus. To ignore that seems, to me, to be criminal negligence.

The differences between countries is trivial compared to the similarities in this. The reason the US is being hit so hard is that we have repeatedly ignored health experts and refused to take basic precautions.

Nobody knows if there will be a vaccine. Even less, whether that vaccine will need to be renewed periodically or not. The *hope* is that we will see something early next year. But there are no guarantees.

In your last statement, you are assuming 'they' know how to solve the problem. Well, there is no way to 'quietly' solve this one. People have to do what has been explained many times. Until they do, this won't get under control.

Unfortunately, we aren't under control of illnesses. Doctors know treatment of illnesses doesn't have a risk factor of complications.

It makes me think. If one person had the virus among five people in the same room. All five people have poor immune systems and easily acceptable to having serious reactions. Everyone wears masks and social distance. The virus still exists.

Where would the virus go If that person died from it?
Would you think it poofs out of thin air?

Native

Free Natural Philosopher & Comparative Mythologist
Again, nobody is saying we know how to treat people who have it. What we know is how to reduce spread to manageable levels. And that alone means more people will survive because the hospitals won't be overwhelmed.
All this strategy does, is to postpone the natural development to all individuals to coming years of the cyclical return of the virus - eventually then a mutated virus. And then it starts all over etc etc.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
We still haven't cured the common cold nor the flu. You can't say a cure is guaranteed either.

Correct. So as times goes, I might have to do it differently. I get that, but neither of us knows for sure. As for your examples it is a bit more complicated that just as you stated it.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Yes, but COVID-19 is one. That is how you know you can't rule out a vaccine. You have to know what you are talking about when you compare COVID-19 with the common flu and cold.
Still, there has to be a cut off date we're people will say enough is enough before the realization sinks in that imploding the economy will be far worse in terms of misery than the virus itself.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Still, there has to be a cut off date we're people will say enough is enough before the realization sinks in that including the economy will be far worse in terms of misery than the virus itself.

Yeah and we have already done so in some parts of the world. We got it under control and can manage it now without the economy suffering that much. Now we are waiting for if there will be a vaccine or other effective treatment.

Now the USA and some other countries are doing that differently. It is not just a strong one or the other. There seems to be a 3rd way.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
How long do you think the gods of science will find a cure so the economy can get back to people having jobs and such?

It takes years to find cures-so maybe year 2100 everything will be fine?

Something's got to give.
Does everything have to be so totally black and white? No nuance at all? For example, offices can easily come back into full business, doing little more than wearing face masks in common areas, maintaining some social distancing, and some hygiene.

Yes, social gathering places can be tougher, and lots more thought needs to be given to that, but couldn't we consider that a problem to be solved? Or is it necessary that everything either be shut down completely, or open exactly as before?

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
The common cold is actually over 200 different viruses.
A cure for one would wouldn't be for all.
And since practically nobody dies from the common cold, not a huge amount of expense and effort is being lavished upon finding a cure at all.

This is apparently not true of this virus. Therefore, there is justification in the expense and effort of a search.

Rational Agnostic

And since practically nobody dies from the common cold, not a huge amount of expense and effort is being lavished upon finding a cure at all.

This is apparently not true of this virus. Therefore, there is justification in the expense and effort of a search.

Well, around 50,000 people die annually in the US from pneumonia, most of which starts out as the common cold and turns deadly when it hits vulnerable populations. I'm not trying to minimize COVID--but it does seem to me that a lot of people fail to realize that there are deadly viral diseases circulating every year.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Well, around 50,000 people die annually in the US from pneumonia, most of which starts out as the common cold and turns deadly when it hits vulnerable populations. I'm not trying to minimize COVID--but it does seem to me that a lot of people fail to realize that there are deadly viral diseases circulating every year.

Yeah, that is a part of it, but there is more. Now since you know all the relevant data and science, you can answer what more is.