• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Six Reasons Young Christians Leave Church"

YmirGF

Bodhisattva in Recovery
Reason #9 - Young people leave church because the service was over. (Sorry, couldn't resist.) :D

I never had much of a problem with Jesus but was never really into Churchianity. As a young child I vividly recall being repulsed by the odd collection of weird people... and the funny smell...

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
My situation is somewhat unique because my parents are not religious but encouraged me to try out various services (both Christian and non). I found one I enjoyed and attended for many years. I eventually left because I realized I was doing this for companionship, not for worship. No matter how hard I prayed or looked, I simply didn't believe in the existence of God or gods, so continuing on both felt like lip service and lying to myself. For a long time I wondered if it might be because. I wasn't raised Christian, but a friend and coworker who came from the same religion had the exact same experience despite having been raised there.
Some kids just figure out they don't believe in that God (or gods are all).

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
I can not ever remember hearing of "Fire and Brimstone" church in the UK, though they might exist.
It's fairly common here with Evangelical and Baptists churches. I do suspect it may be more prominent among LBGT youth, as they are lead down a truly dark path in such churches. .

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
I left the Church because there's simply no place for me there and they've made that clear. As a transgender person, I can't even be a Godparent. We face more restrictions than gays and lesbians do. I no longer believe in the theology, so it's whatever, anyway.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I left the Church because there's simply no place for me there and they've made that clear. As a transgender person, I can't even be a Godparent. We face more restrictions than gays and lesbians do. I no longer believe in the theology, so it's whatever, anyway.

Can I ask you a honest question?

Wouldnt the Church look at the biological makeup with deciding whose a grandparent and who to marry?

I ask because if not, the church seems to contradict itself. It says that LGB cant marry but if looking at identify not bio sex then a transgender should be able to marry, be a grandparent, etc..

if Im saying that right.

Smart_Guy

Premium Member
Can you start a thread on that ? , I am curious.

They are against the favor of my belief, so I don't think it makes sense that I start it myself :p
(Actually, I'm a natural lazy person too, ehhm)

However, I respect your curiosity in this. You could start the thread, quote what I said and ask about it. I'm sure other members have much to say about it. I could participate in it too.

Note: quoting members in other threads without their permission is against the rules. I don't mind in this one.

RedDragon94

Love everyone, meditate often
Reason #1 – Churches seem overprotective.
As Christians, they express the desire for their faith in Christ to connect to the world they live in. However, much of their experience of Christianity feels stifling, fear-based and risk-averse. One-quarter of 18- to 29-year-olds said “Christians demonize everything outside of the church” (23% indicated this “completely” or “mostly” describes their experience). Other perceptions in this category include “church ignoring the problems of the real world” (22%) and “my church is too concerned that movies, music, and video games are harmful” (18%).
True.
Reason #2 – Teens’ and twentysomethings’ experience of Christianity is shallow.
A second reason that young people depart church as young adults is that something is lacking in their experience of church. One-third said “church is boring” (31%). One-quarter of these young adults said that “faith is not relevant to my career or interests” (24%) or that “the Bible is not taught clearly or often enough” (23%). Sadly, one-fifth of these young adults who attended a church as a teenager said that “God seems missing from my experience of church” (20%).
True.
Reason #3 – Churches come across as antagonistic to science.
One of the reasons young adults feel disconnected from church or from faith is the tension they feel between Christianity and science. The most common of the perceptions in this arena is “Christians are too confident they know all the answers” (35%). Three out of ten young adults with a Christian background feel that “churches are out of step with the scientific world we live in” (29%). Another one-quarter embrace the perception that “Christianity is anti-science” (25%). And nearly the same proportion (23%) said they have “been turned off by the creation-versus-evolution debate.”
It's only cause the atheist community expects us to have all the answers. Besides, there's a middle ground.
Reason #4 – Young Christians’ church experiences related to sexuality are often simplistic, judgmental.
Research indicates that most young Christians are as sexually active as their non-Christian peers, even though they are more conservative in their attitudes about sexuality. One-sixth of young Christians (17%) said they “have made mistakes and feel judged in church because of them.” The issue of sexuality is particularly salient among 18- to 29-year-old Catholics, among whom two out of five (40%) said the church’s “teachings on sexuality and birth control are out of date.”
True.
Reason #5 – They wrestle with the exclusive nature of Christianity.
Three out of ten young Christians (29%) said “churches are afraid of the beliefs of other faiths” and an identical proportion felt they are “forced to choose between my faith and my friends.” One-fifth of young adults with a Christian background said “church is like a country club, only for insiders” (22%).
I wouldn't say we're afraid of other people's beliefs as much as we don't know how to communicate our own to people that will make sense to them.
Reason #6 – The church feels unfriendly to those who doubt.
Young adults with Christian experience say the church is not a place that allows them to express doubts.
Some of the perceptions in this regard include not being able “to ask my most pressing life questions in church” (36%) and having “significant intellectual doubts about my faith” (23%). In a related theme of how churches struggle to help young adults who feel marginalized, about one out of every six young adults with a Christian background said their faith “does not help with depression or other emotional problems” they experience (18%).
True.

The truth is Christianity has work to do. We need to be more concerned with connecting people to God in worship than focusing on what we perceive is immoral and condemning it.

Talmai

I think these young people would be happier about church if they discovered what in my country are known as the mainline denominations and considered giving them a try. As a member of the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America, I can say things outside are not demonized, problems in society and the world are not ignored, there is no creationism-evolution dichotomy, and my conscience is respected.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I was aware this was happening, but just figured most found the theology untenable. Seems it's a lot more than that. (Condensed explanations.)

Reason #1 – Churches seem overprotective.
As Christians, they express the desire for their faith in Christ to connect to the world they live in. However, much of their experience of Christianity feels stifling, fear-based and risk-averse. One-quarter of 18- to 29-year-olds said “Christians demonize everything outside of the church” (23% indicated this “completely” or “mostly” describes their experience). Other perceptions in this category include “church ignoring the problems of the real world” (22%) and “my church is too concerned that movies, music, and video games are harmful” (18%).

Reason #2 – Teens’ and twentysomethings’ experience of Christianity is shallow.
A second reason that young people depart church as young adults is that something is lacking in their experience of church. One-third said “church is boring” (31%). One-quarter of these young adults said that “faith is not relevant to my career or interests” (24%) or that “the Bible is not taught clearly or often enough” (23%). Sadly, one-fifth of these young adults who attended a church as a teenager said that “God seems missing from my experience of church” (20%).

Reason #3 – Churches come across as antagonistic to science.
One of the reasons young adults feel disconnected from church or from faith is the tension they feel between Christianity and science. The most common of the perceptions in this arena is “Christians are too confident they know all the answers” (35%). Three out of ten young adults with a Christian background feel that “churches are out of step with the scientific world we live in” (29%). Another one-quarter embrace the perception that “Christianity is anti-science” (25%). And nearly the same proportion (23%) said they have “been turned off by the creation-versus-evolution debate.”

Reason #4 – Young Christians’ church experiences related to sexuality are often simplistic, judgmental.
Research indicates that most young Christians are as sexually active as their non-Christian peers, even though they are more conservative in their attitudes about sexuality. One-sixth of young Christians (17%) said they “have made mistakes and feel judged in church because of them.” The issue of sexuality is particularly salient among 18- to 29-year-old Catholics, among whom two out of five (40%) said the church’s “teachings on sexuality and birth control are out of date.”

Reason #5 – They wrestle with the exclusive nature of Christianity.
Three out of ten young Christians (29%) said “churches are afraid of the beliefs of other faiths” and an identical proportion felt they are “forced to choose between my faith and my friends.” One-fifth of young adults with a Christian background said “church is like a country club, only for insiders” (22%).

Reason #6 – The church feels unfriendly to those who doubt.
Young adults with Christian experience say the church is not a place that allows them to express doubts.
Some of the perceptions in this regard include not being able “to ask my most pressing life questions in church” (36%) and having “significant intellectual doubts about my faith” (23%). In a related theme of how churches struggle to help young adults who feel marginalized, about one out of every six young adults with a Christian background said their faith “does not help with depression or other emotional problems” they experience (18%).
source

Personally, I find reason #3 to be refreshing and encouraging.

Source(s)?

David1967

Premium Member
Paradoxically, their members are swelling due to snakebite at the very same time their numbers are shrinking.

Well, technically you are correct. First they get bit, then they swell, then they jabber unintelligibly in what they call an unknown tongue:rolleyes:, then they refuse medical help:confused:, then they die, or at the very least a body part falls off due to the dead tissue caused by the venom, which they keep as a souvenir (yes this really happened) . You just cant make that stuff up.;)

Stalwart

Can you clarify this bit?

The parents of these "Christian" children have, whether willingly or not, failed to instil in their children a reverence for the sanctity of the marital act, and a disgust for promiscuity. These teenagers have been failed in the home, and as a result, have been corrupted by the world and its degenerate ideas pertaining to sexuality - they feel entitled to the right to be promiscuous wretches, and as a result, two out of five (40%) said the church’s 'teachings on sexuality and birth control are out of date'. Additionally, as members of a horrifically coddled generation as theirs, they feel entitled to nothing but praise - they reject criticism, even when positive, and refuse to change their own, immature perspectives to conform with their faith - one-sixth of young Christians (17%) said they “have made mistakes and feel judged in church because of them.