• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Six Reasons Young Christians Leave Church"

Skwim

Veteran Member
I was aware this was happening, but just figured most found the theology untenable. Seems it's a lot more than that. (Condensed explanations.)

Reason #1 – Churches seem overprotective.
As Christians, they express the desire for their faith in Christ to connect to the world they live in. However, much of their experience of Christianity feels stifling, fear-based and risk-averse. One-quarter of 18- to 29-year-olds said “Christians demonize everything outside of the church” (23% indicated this “completely” or “mostly” describes their experience). Other perceptions in this category include “church ignoring the problems of the real world” (22%) and “my church is too concerned that movies, music, and video games are harmful” (18%).

Reason #2 – Teens’ and twentysomethings’ experience of Christianity is shallow.
A second reason that young people depart church as young adults is that something is lacking in their experience of church. One-third said “church is boring” (31%). One-quarter of these young adults said that “faith is not relevant to my career or interests” (24%) or that “the Bible is not taught clearly or often enough” (23%). Sadly, one-fifth of these young adults who attended a church as a teenager said that “God seems missing from my experience of church” (20%).

Reason #3 – Churches come across as antagonistic to science.
One of the reasons young adults feel disconnected from church or from faith is the tension they feel between Christianity and science. The most common of the perceptions in this arena is “Christians are too confident they know all the answers” (35%). Three out of ten young adults with a Christian background feel that “churches are out of step with the scientific world we live in” (29%). Another one-quarter embrace the perception that “Christianity is anti-science” (25%). And nearly the same proportion (23%) said they have “been turned off by the creation-versus-evolution debate.”

Reason #4 – Young Christians’ church experiences related to sexuality are often simplistic, judgmental.
Research indicates that most young Christians are as sexually active as their non-Christian peers, even though they are more conservative in their attitudes about sexuality. One-sixth of young Christians (17%) said they “have made mistakes and feel judged in church because of them.” The issue of sexuality is particularly salient among 18- to 29-year-old Catholics, among whom two out of five (40%) said the church’s “teachings on sexuality and birth control are out of date.”

Reason #5 – They wrestle with the exclusive nature of Christianity.
Three out of ten young Christians (29%) said “churches are afraid of the beliefs of other faiths” and an identical proportion felt they are “forced to choose between my faith and my friends.” One-fifth of young adults with a Christian background said “church is like a country club, only for insiders” (22%).

Reason #6 – The church feels unfriendly to those who doubt.
Young adults with Christian experience say the church is not a place that allows them to express doubts.
Some of the perceptions in this regard include not being able “to ask my most pressing life questions in church” (36%) and having “significant intellectual doubts about my faith” (23%). In a related theme of how churches struggle to help young adults who feel marginalized, about one out of every six young adults with a Christian background said their faith “does not help with depression or other emotional problems” they experience (18%).
source

Personally, I find reason #3 to be refreshing and encouraging.

Last edited:

David1967

Premium Member
You're covered.

Reason #2 "One-third said “church is boring” (31%)"
Although I do agree, but some of those snake-handlin' services down south are kind of kinky.

Yeah, but do to death by snake bite, their numbers are shrinking.

David1967

Premium Member
I was aware this was happening, but just figured most found the theology untenable. Seems it's a lot more than that. (Condensed explanations.)

As Christians, they express the desire for their faith in Christ to connect to the world they live in. However, much of their experience of Christianity feels stifling, fear-based and risk-averse. One-quarter of 18- to 29-year-olds said “Christians demonize everything outside of the church” (23% indicated this “completely” or “mostly” describes their experience). Other perceptions in this category include “church ignoring the problems of the real world” (22%) and “my church is too concerned that movies, music, and video games are harmful” (18%).

A second reason that young people depart church as young adults is that something is lacking in their experience of church. One-third said “church is boring” (31%). One-quarter of these young adults said that “faith is not relevant to my career or interests” (24%) or that “the Bible is not taught clearly or often enough” (23%). Sadly, one-fifth of these young adults who attended a church as a teenager said that “God seems missing from my experience of church” (20%).

One of the reasons young adults feel disconnected from church or from faith is the tension they feel between Christianity and science. The most common of the perceptions in this arena is “Christians are too confident they know all the answers” (35%). Three out of ten young adults with a Christian background feel that “churches are out of step with the scientific world we live in” (29%). Another one-quarter embrace the perception that “Christianity is anti-science” (25%). And nearly the same proportion (23%) said they have “been turned off by the creation-versus-evolution debate.”

Reason #4 – Young Christians’ church experiences related to sexuality are often simplistic, judgmental.
Research indicates that most young Christians are as sexually active as their non-Christian peers, even though they are more conservative in their attitudes about sexuality. One-sixth of young Christians (17%) said they “have made mistakes and feel judged in church because of them.” The issue of sexuality is particularly salient among 18- to 29-year-old Catholics, among whom two out of five (40%) said the church’s “teachings on sexuality and birth control are out of date.”

Three out of ten young Christians (29%) said “churches are afraid of the beliefs of other faiths” and an identical proportion felt they are “forced to choose between my faith and my friends.” One-fifth of young adults with a Christian background said “church is like a country club, only for insiders” (22%).

Young adults with Christian experience say the church is not a place that allows them to express doubts.
Some of the perceptions in this regard include not being able “to ask my most pressing life questions in church” (36%) and having “significant intellectual doubts about my faith” (23%). In a related theme of how churches struggle to help young adults who feel marginalized, about one out of every six young adults with a Christian background said their faith “does not help with depression or other emotional problems” they experience (18%).
source

One, five and six.

Stalwart

Keep in mind that I'm speaking from the Catholic perspective only - I cannot speak for Protestant "Churches".

Reason #1 – Churches seem overprotective. As Christians, they express the desire for their faith in Christ to connect to the world they live in. However, much of their experience of Christianity feels stifling, fear-based and risk-averse. One-quarter of 18- to 29-year-olds said “Christians demonize everything outside of the church” (23% indicated this “completely” or “mostly” describes their experience). Other perceptions in this category include “church ignoring the problems of the real world” (22%) and “my church is too concerned that movies, music, and video games are harmful” (18%).

Regarding demonisation of extra-Christian elements in society: Poor upbringing on the part of the parents. They are told one thing by the Church and another thing entirely by the liberal, self-described 'non-conformist' parents. Naturally, the kids become infatuated with what is forbidden by the authority, and upon becoming involved with or accustomed to those things, become hostile to the Church due to its opposition to those things.

Regarding churches 'ignoring the problems of the real world': Presuming this is being said by a Catholic youth, this is rooted in ignorance and arrogance. Ignorance because they are lapping up the detestable lies of the mass media concerning how much good the Church does in the world; arrogance because they expect it to be able to fix every problem in the world. A typically immature perspective.

Regarding churches being overly concerned about the harmfulness of interactive and entertainment media: As with the first part. They take them for granted, and view the Church as being out-of-touch. Thanks, baby boomer parents. You had one job, and you couldn't even do that right.

'Church is boring': Poor catechesis. They do not understand the liturgy's purpose, the significance of the Mass (again, speaking solely from the Catholic perspective here), or the magnificent scope of religion in their world, and in their lives, and how it comes down to their participation in the life of their Church, and in Her liturgy.

'Faith is not relevant etc.': Typical disenfranchisement. Also a result of poor catechesis; nobody who believes in God can possibly make this statement with sincerity.

'The Bible is not taught clearly or often enough': Definitely a Protestant-youth objection. If you replace 'the Bible' with 'the faith', then again, it comes down to poor catechesis on the part of both clerics and parents (but especially parents).

When they come from the mouth of a Catholic youth, all four of these objections are rooted in ignorance of the Church's attitude to science, and false equivalence of any sort of scientific progression with the positive use of science. There most certainly is a difference between these two, and the Church has always been in support of the latter.

Pure arrogance rooted in poor upbringing and childrearing on the part of the parents. When the home fails, so does the moral integrity of the children in that home.

Ignorance of the significance of religion. From the Catholic perspective, the result of poor catechesis.

Young adults with Christian experience say the church is not a place that allows them to express doubts. Some of the perceptions in this regard include not being able “to ask my most pressing life questions in church” (36%) and having “significant intellectual doubts about my faith” (23%). In a related theme of how churches struggle to help young adults who feel marginalized, about one out of every six young adults with a Christian background said their faith “does not help with depression or other emotional problems” they experience (18%).

Poor clerical presentation. Modern Catholic clerics do not inspire leadership or familiarity - they trivialise themselves, and in doing so, the faith with which they are entrusted. In attempts to communicate with youth, they bring themselves down to the level of the youth, and thereby fail to stand out from the rest of society. You can't blame the kids here - the modernist element of the Church is in the wrong, and I pray every day for its extermination, however violent and jarring it must be.

As a 'young Christian' myself, who has been well and truly there and back again, let me offer my thoughts as to what must be done to reinvigorate the youth of today with the faith of their ancestors, and of God Almighty:

The Boomer and X generations have done enough damage to the Church over the last several decades, and it is about time that middle-aged women ceased dictating to the Church as to what needs to be done to bring the vibrancy of youth back into the faith, as is necessary for its survival and propagation. Listen to us instead. A return to stern tradition is needed -- a total, comprehensive rejection of modernism is needed. The Church has tried its hand at conforming to the whims of contemporary culture -- it has clearly failed. Want a youthful Church again? Reestablish a strong institution that upholds its values. The youth must be impressed by moral fortitude, not appeased by capitulation.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
With out a firm belief in God, church is irrelevant.

there is little evidence that many church leaders or their congregations have much faith in God.
They are more interested in church finance, Social activity and maintaining their authority, than serving God

Stalwart

With out a firm belief in God, church is irrelevant.

there is little evidence that many church leaders or their congregations have much faith in God.
They are more interested in church finance, Social activity and maintaining their authority, than serving God

Of course an Anglican would think this.

We're not all like you lot, you know.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member

source

Personally, I find reason #3 to be refreshing and encouraging..
sales pitch for his book, which I'm sure explains his methodology and population selection parameters.

Personally, sounds like the same issues that were prevalent among my Christian chums as a youth, 40+ years ago...

Clearly, the solution is to stop being so permissive as to allow children the choice: children should be dragged into church, beaten into submission, and shown that they can't get away even if they want to, because all their friends are also being dragged and beaten...:p

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
Keep in mind that I'm speaking from the Catholic perspective only - I cannot speak for Protestant "Churches".

Regarding demonisation of extra-Christian elements in society: Poor upbringing on the part of the parents. They are told one thing by the Church and another thing entirely by the liberal, self-described 'non-conformist' parents. Naturally, the kids become infatuated with what is forbidden by the authority, and upon becoming involved with or accustomed to those things, become hostile to the Church due to its opposition to those things.

Regarding churches 'ignoring the problems of the real world': Presuming this is being said by a Catholic youth, this is rooted in ignorance and arrogance. Ignorance because they are lapping up the detestable lies of the mass media concerning how much good the Church does in the world; arrogance because they expect it to be able to fix every problem in the world. A typically immature perspective.

Regarding churches being overly concerned about the harmfulness of interactive and entertainment media: As with the first part. They take them for granted, and view the Church as being out-of-touch. Thanks, baby boomer parents. You had one job, and you couldn't even do that right.

'Church is boring': Poor catechesis. They do not understand the liturgy's purpose, the significance of the Mass (again, speaking solely from the Catholic perspective here), or the magnificent scope of religion in their world, and in their lives, and how it comes down to their participation in the life of their Church, and in Her liturgy.

'Faith is not relevant etc.': Typical disenfranchisement. Also a result of poor catechesis; nobody who believes in God can possibly make this statement with sincerity.

'The Bible is not taught clearly or often enough': Definitely a Protestant-youth objection. If you replace 'the Bible' with 'the faith', then again, it comes down to poor catechesis on the part of both clerics and parents (but especially parents).

When they come from the mouth of a Catholic youth, all four of these objections are rooted in ignorance of the Church's attitude to science, and false equivalence of any sort of scientific progression with the positive use of science. There most certainly is a difference between these two, and the Church has always been in support of the latter.

Pure arrogance rooted in poor upbringing and childrearing on the part of the parents. When the home fails, so does the moral integrity of the children in that home.

Ignorance of the significance of religion. From the Catholic perspective, the result of poor catechesis.

Poor clerical presentation. Modern Catholic clerics do not inspire leadership or familiarity - they trivialise themselves, and in doing so, the faith with which they are entrusted. In attempts to communicate with youth, they bring themselves down to the level of the youth, and thereby fail to stand out from the rest of society. You can't blame the kids here - the modernist element of the Church is in the wrong, and I pray every day for its extermination, however violent and jarring it must be.

As a 'young Christian' myself, who has been well and truly there and back again, let me offer my thoughts as to what must be done to reinvigorate the youth of today with the faith of their ancestors, and of God Almighty:

The Boomer and X generations have done enough damage to the Church over the last several decades, and it is about time that middle-aged women ceased dictating to the Church as to what needs to be done to bring the vibrancy of youth back into the faith, as is necessary for its survival and propagation. Listen to us instead. A return to stern tradition is needed -- a total, comprehensive rejection of modernism is needed. The Church has tried its hand at conforming to the whims of contemporary culture -- it has clearly failed. Want a youthful Church again? Reestablish a strong institution that upholds its values. The youth must be impressed by moral fortitude, not appeased by capitulation.

Reason #7 - Guys like this.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Of course an Anglican would think this.

We're not all like you lot, you know.

We lose clergy numbers and congregations at pretty much the same rate as the Catholics these days.
Only our more "Charismatic" and "Evangelical" style congregations are growing.
The more Traditional and strict Anglo-Catholic churches are taking the greater Hit.
The trend to Local ministry in various forms, has tended to address the issue of lack of young ordinands coming forward to some extent.

Whilst we have lost some clergy to abuse scandals, It has not reached the levels of some Catholic Diocese, as we have always been more proactive in ferreting offenders out. And our Clergy being mostly married, have less incentive/temptation perhaps. Such things must have an effect on the young persons perception of the Christian Church.

HonestJoe

I don’t think any of these reasons are really new. Traditional Christianity has never really appealed to many children and young adults. The only real difference in recent years is the increased and earlier personal freedom young people get from their families, the reduced social pressures to be (seen as) “good Church-going people” and greater scope to be/feel religious or faithful without regular attendance at a mainstream church.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
Fortunately it seems those who are leaving due to being tormented and psychologically abused over doctrine of eternal damnation aren't very common. But it's reassuring today's youth are reasoning and discovering these issues, and are leaving, especially over issues of anti-science and being out of touch with the real world.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Fortunately it seems those who are leaving due to being tormented and psychologically abused over doctrine of eternal damnation aren't very common. But it's reassuring today's youth are reasoning and discovering these issues, and are leaving, especially over issues of anti-science and being out of touch with the real world.

I can not ever remember hearing of "Fire and Brimstone" church in the UK, though they might exist.

Most of the children that attend our church continue to do so until they go away to university. (or take on weekend jobs). they often do not return until they have children of their own.

Of my Daughters two children. One has completed his Masters degree, and still attends when he is at home. The younger one has Just given up being a server, as she is about to go and read law. I have every expectation that she will continue to attend church.

Last edited:

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

source

I feel there is a lot of over generalization in all of those points. I think one of core reasons I left was because of number four. I never got any opposition and angry views about who I am. No one judged me; and, no one told me that my faith was weak and even no one told me I was going to hell. Maybe they do that to children and young adults indoctrinated in the Church, but it's a huge generalization.

Many Catholics, by their choice and devotion, understand that "god made them male and female." There is a sense of mutural understanding that "this is what we believe" and if you don't believe it (not saying it that way) then its best not to be a part of the Church. So, basically, if you don't identify with the core teachings which is beyond male/female (sexuality is more than genders), then it's best not go be part of the Church.

I came in as an adult and talked with a priest from Ghana (We're in America). He says that in many countries, the parents choose their daughters mates. It has always in culture been male and female. It's not a political thing nor a strict dogma. It's pure cultural and later on developed into tradition.

With that understanding I knew my place in the Church and how she accepted me and what parts of me she didn't accept. But it wasn't judgmental. Just mutual understanding of where we disagree.

I wish other ex-catholics have gotten the same education and experience I had with the Church. It would severely degrees the reasons you gave in your OP.

1. The Church is over protective? I notice that it's the parents and people of faith that are over protective. The Church itself, from where I live at least and its dogma, is about growing in one's faith not having people kept in the faith as if they were prisoners. Mind you, my friends I met at the Church come see me at least three times a year and wonder why I haven't been to Mass. But it isn't over protective. Just highly annoying sometimes.

2. I remember I wanted to be a nun in my early years. Then, as I met my Roman Catholic indoctrinated friend, I went to Mass with her for a good fifteen years before I made the jump.

I'd say many protestant Churches are shallow, if I used that word. Catholic Churches are so extensive in their worship that if you're not "diggin' it" you missed the boat. The only thing I can think of that's shallow about the Church is .... is .... I can't think of a time when I thought the Church was boring. I think that's a generalization, though, I wouldn't say it's false. Just I don't see how.

3. Actually, I never heard of the Church not caring about science. Everything of "science" comes from god, according to the Church. As such, the only thin about science it may disagree with is evolution theories. Other than that, it's all disagreement. No hard feelings on science. It's part of god's creation-as so seen.

5. I'm off and on about this one. In the Church, no you can't believe in faiths contrary to Church/biblical teachings. So, if I went back to Church, I can't have communion in any other Church but maybe Othorodox on Christmas and Easter but not protestant Churches. If someone wants to mix faiths or have values of mix faiths, I hope that doesn't make them feel the Church hates them all because their doctrine disagrees with them. It's just when you are a part of the Church, you don't think that way. It becomes a part of you and it "makes sense" that it only becomes differences of opinion not about differences of faiths. If young Christians see that from a different perspective, they probably wouldn't harbor raw feelings against the Church. Just agree to disagree, and split if so be.

6. Depends on the Church. I heard horror stories. The Church itself no. Many parishes, yes. In my doubt phase, they were not unfriendly. We went on a retreat and each person was nurtured in faith. It was a beautiful experience that Catholicism is not, at it's core, what people claim it to be. It's like the community is literally helping you to be one with Christ.

I agree with @Terrywoodenpic that without a firm belief in god, the Church is irrelevant. I'd like to add, if that young teen does not have a firm believe in god, the sacraments, and Christ, of course the Church would seem off to him. But that's differences of belief nothing wrong with the young person and nothing wrong with the Church. I just hope individual priests and parishes understand. But some do and others don't. It's a generalization.

:seedling: Other than the generalization, I can see how some of those things are true. I feel it's because of some priests and some parishes and depending on environment is depending on how a person is treated by "The Church."

I also noticed that experiences people have in the Church are blamed by the Church as a whole not the individual person, priest, school, or parish that acts against its own teachings. I sometimes think that young people are blaming the wrong thing. The Church practice and devotions are beautiful. Many people abuse it. Others have a more strict stance on it.

I'm sure I'm not the only one who has not experienced these reasons. Given that, it sounds like a generalization. But I wouldn't disagree in its own right.

Last edited:

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Just a couple of points.

I saw a survey a couple of years ago that give indication that today's "millennials" prefer more involvement in helping others and less dogmatism. IOW, they want to do something, not just sit back and listen. They are less apt to blindly swallow politically-correct dogma, and they tend to take a more open view on a great many things.

But let me just add to that there's a problem in making religious services so thoroughly entertaining in order to attract congregants. A truly sincere religious involvement is not just a matter of fun & games but is also very serious in nature-- or at least it should be. The Mosaic Law, Jesus' Sermon On the Mount, the Five Pillars of Faith, etc., are very serious calls to action that are not very entertaining.

Like many of our other basic institutions, we are in a world of significant change, and some of this can be enlightening, but some can also be misguided or even dangerous. But it is what it is, and hopefully we can act with intelligence and respect for others.

Just my opinion.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member

source

Dismantle church-going.

Hindu temples work well precisely because all who go actually want to be there and no Hindu priest writes articles every day complaining that most Hindu-s don't attend temples regularly.