• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Mormons Be Considered A Cult

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Except that you did not provide any proof that it is Mormon Doctrine.
You provided that it is a popular belief amongst Mormons, but not that it is actual Mormon Doctrine.
Referee stepping in here. Mestemia just scored a point. It is definitely a popular belief among Mormons (and I have explained the reasoning behind the belief thoroughly here), but the only definitive source of validating "doctrine" is the Standard Works. This is a commonly accepted belief among Latter-day Saints, and it may very well come up from time to time in church talks and lessons. What it is, is commentary on the Book of Mormon. Period. Zomg knows that as well as I do. You'll have to cut him some slack. He's just not used to playing for the other team yet.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
You'll have to cut him some slack. He's just not used to playing for the other team yet.
I am not cutting him any slack.
He falsely claimed to have proven something he has not proven.

Now had he not been a *** with his whole "I used to be Mormon" tactic perhaps I would have cut him some slack.

But the fact remains that he has not proven what he claims he has proven and thinks that being an ex-Mormon should have been some sort of trump card which relieves him of actually proving his point.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
No argument there.
lolololo

Except that you did not provide any proof that it is Mormon Doctrine.
You provided that it is a popular belief amongst Mormons, but not that it is actual Mormon Doctrine.
Sure, I did.

Still waiting for you to actually prove me wrong.
Already did.

Where in Mormon Doctrine is your claim?
I already provided my answers.

Flyers are not Mormon Doctrine.
What flyer? I never said anything about a flyer.

Speeches are not Mormon Doctrine.
These aren't speeches. These are talks given that the speaker has prayed about and received guidance by the Holy Ghost. These are prophets, seers and revelators speaking directly to the LDS church membership. Their words are then printed in the official LDS church Ensign.

Church magazines are not Mormon Doctrine.
It's a LDS church approved, LDS church owned, LDS church printed monthly magazine. To suggest something slipped in there that wasn't doctrine is laughable.

At this point I have to wonder if you even know what 'doctrine' is....:rolleyes:
lolololo

Based on your "proof" you seem to think that anything any Mormon says is Mormon Doctrine.
Nah. Based on our interactions here you seem to think you know more about Mormonism than I do (now I sound like Katz!)

McBell

lolololo

Sure, I did.

Already did.

I already provided my answers.

What flyer? I never said anything about a flyer.

These aren't speeches. These are talks given that the speaker has prayed about and received guidance by the Holy Ghost. These are prophets, seers and revelators speaking directly to the LDS church membership. Their words are then printed in the official LDS church Ensign.

It's a LDS church approved, LDS church owned, LDS church printed monthly magazine. To suggest something slipped in there that wasn't doctrine is laughable.

lolololo

Nah. Based on our interactions here you seem to think you know more about Mormonism than I do (now I sound like Katz!)
Anyone thinking that anything any Mormon says is Mormon Doctrine would find you are right.

Anyone who understands that Mormon Doctrine is limited to a few very specific sources understands that you are merely jumping up and down screaming "I am right because i used to be a Mormon!"

What you are doing would be like me claiming that because some Christians believe in sola scriptura that sola scriptura is Christian doctrine.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
I don't need any slack. I'm quite used to playing this side by now.

The thing is trying to define Mormon Doctrine is like trying to nail Jell-o to the wall. It's almost impossible. Joseph Smith, you know...the guy who found the gold plates, translated it, saw God and Jesus...that guy, said the BOM is the most correct book. No LDS church official has come out and said this wasn't true. The fact that the LDS church teaches its members this in manuals, lets it be printed in the Ensign and has speakers in General Conference say it proves that it's accepted as the truth.

No, it isn't in the Standard Works. Neither is the endowment. Does that mean it isn't Mormon Doctrine? Eternal families isn't in the Standard Works. Does that mean it isn't Mormon Doctrine?

McBell

I don't need any slack. I'm quite used to playing this side by now.

The thing is trying to define Mormon Doctrine is like trying to nail Jell-o to the wall. It's almost impossible. Joseph Smith, you know...the guy who found the gold plates, translated it, saw God and Jesus...that guy, said the BOM is the most correct book. No LDS church official has come out and said this wasn't true. The fact that the LDS church teaches its members this in manuals, lets it be printed in the Ensign and has speakers in General Conference say it proves that it's accepted as the truth.

No, it isn't in the Standard Works. Neither is the endowment. Does that mean it isn't Mormon Doctrine? Eternal families isn't in the Standard Works. Does that mean it isn't Mormon Doctrine?
Ah, so you are pretty much trying to claim that anything you want to claim is Mormon Doctrine is Mormon Doctrine simply because you claim it is Mormon Doctrine?

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Ah, so you are pretty much trying to claim that anything you want to claim is Mormon Doctrine is Mormon Doctrine simply because you claim it is Mormon Doctrine?
Isn't that what the LDS church did with the endowment? Is isn't in the Standard Works. Show me where the endowment is in the Standard Works :)

If it must be in the Standard Works to be considered doctrine then if it isn't in the Standard Works it isn't doctrine. So, please, show me where it is.

If the idea that the BOM is the most correct book isn't truthful then the LDS church needs to stop allowing it to be said in GC or the Ensign. Otherwise, it's very confusing.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
If the idea that the BOM is the most correct book isn't truthful then the LDS church needs to stop allowing it to be said in GC or the Ensign. Otherwise, it's very confusing.
Nobody said the statement isn't truthful. It's what Joseph Smith believed, it's what most Mormons today believe. You're arguing technicalities. To me, it's a non-issue, but whatever floats your boat.

McBell

Isn't that what the LDS church did with the endowment? Is isn't in the Standard Works. Show me where the endowment is in the Standard Works :)

If it must be in the Standard Works to be considered doctrine then if it isn't in the Standard Works it isn't doctrine. So, please, show me where it is.

Since you are not interested in supporting your claim, I will take the opinion that it is not Mormon Doctrine until such time as I am shown it is.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
Since you are not interested in supporting your claim, I will take the opinion that it is not Mormon Doctrine until such time as I am shown it is.

Whatever. It will be interesting to see if it's brought up during GC this week.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Whatever. It will be interesting to see if it's brought up during GC this week.
Just out of curiosity, exactly what do you believe the criteria to be for something to be considered "offical doctrine"?

Should the Mormon group be considered another denomination of Christianity and be accepted by the other Christian denominations. Or should the Christians continue to label the Mormon Church a cult if so why/ or why not?
Every religion can be rightlyfully considered a cult by the definition of the word. If you're talking "cult", that seems to be an insult towards Mormons themselves.

Flat Earth Kyle

1-16 Are hard to grasp. Agreed.
My belief is that the Bible decides Christian theology. Romans 8:17 (cited to me by a Mormon) does not say that the inheritance includes all of God's powers. That part was completely inferred by some latter-day saint.
Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
If God was a man on some planet, then the heavens were
created before this man evolved into God. Not in line with Christian theology.
I think the Narnia movies were good, and I like the screwtape letters, but C.S. Lewis does not have more authority than the Bible.

When God created the heavens he took what was already in existence and organized it. I think that may of been when the war in heaven took place, when Satan rebelled with 1/3rd of the host of heaven.

NoraSariah

Cult

Noun
A system of religious veneration and devotion directed toward a particular figure or object.
A relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or sinister.

So yes, we are a cult. ;)

danieldemol

Premium Member
Christian Belief
1)...
2) Jesus is God and Creator of Satan (John 1:3 ; Col 1:16)
3) God has always been God (Ps 93:2; Is 43:10b; is 45:5)
4) God is spirit (John 4:24); Spirit has no flesh and bones (Luke 24:39)
...​

So if Jesus is God, and God is spirit, and spirit has no flesh and bones... Jesus had no flesh and bones????

Or is the trinity dogma just an illogical superstition?

NoraSariah

So if Jesus is God, and God is spirit, and spirit has no flesh and bones... Jesus had no flesh and bones????

Or is the trinity dogma just an illogical superstition?

But if we and Jesus Christ were made in God's image, then God has a body of flesh and bones, otherwise we'd all just be spirits, no bodies, nothing.

Watchmen

Premium Member
If I look in a stream or pond I may see an "image" of a man, but that doesn't mean it has flesh and bones.

Watchmen

Premium Member
The first step.:bow:

the first step to what? do you consider anyone who believes differently to be in a "cult"? i find that the use of terms like "cult" often say more about the one applying the term than the group he or she is describing.