• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Mormons Be Considered A Cult

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
A Mormon elder/evangelist told me the six points throughout our 2 hours of talking. I have not ran into another Mormon elder since then. So if my perspective on Mormon doctrine is tainted it is His fault. And if that is what the Mormons believe where did he learn it from.
Bull ****.
This is nothing more than you trying real hard to pass the buck.

So what is your excuse for completely ignoring the posts in this very thread that show you are in error?

idav

Being
Premium Member
I am getting to the answer. If they believe that Jesus is atonement for sin.Why is their own works needed. They must think that Jesus' work was not sufficient and have to add to His work with theirs .If they do not believe that Jesus is enough to save them and they need to depend on their own works then I would say that they can not save themselves.
When people asked jesus what they needed to do, how did he usually answer them? He didn't say just believe I'm the son and your good. He most often said something to the effect of following commandments.

McBell

I am getting to the answer.
Doesn't look like it to me.

In fact, it looks very much like you are trying real hard to direct the topic to something you feel comfortable with instead of actually addressing the question.

If they believe that Jesus is atonement for sin.Why is their own works needed. They must think that Jesus' work was not sufficient and have to add to His work with theirs .If they do not believe that Jesus is enough to save them and they need to depend on their own works then I would say that they can not save themselves.
So many assumptions you make in order to not answer the question...

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
I am getting to the answer. If they believe that Jesus is atonement for sin.Why is their own works needed. They must think that Jesus' work was not sufficient and have to add to His work with theirs .If they do not believe that Jesus is enough to save them and they need to depend on their own works then I would say that they can not save themselves.

You are bending nails again. if you were a nail manufacturer they would all be bent.

abc123kid

When people asked jesus what they needed to do, how did he usually answer them? He didn't say just believe I'm the son and your good. He most often said something to the effect of following commandments.

In order to be saved one has to repent and believe. But Christianity does not stop their Christianity is a life long relationship and in order to be successful and conscious clear Christian on has to do works and works determine reward in Heaven. An example "there are a father and son" The son sins against his father or does not do what the father says the Father does not kick the son out of the family but the relationship is not where it should be. This is how works are. Works did not get you into the family but it does help grow your relationship with God example:(praying, fasting, confessing, going to church, helping poor, feeding hungry) none of these things gets you into the family but helps you to mature spiritually and deepen our Relationship with God.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
In order to be saved one has to repent and believe. But Christianity does not stop their Christianity is a life long relationship and in order to be successful and conscious clear Christian on has to do works and works determine reward in Heaven. An example "there are a father and son" The son sins against his father or does not do what the father says the Father does not kick the son out of the family but the relationship is not where it should be. This is how works are. Works did not get you into the family but it does help grow your relationship with God example:(praying, fasting, confessing, going to church, helping poor, feeding hungry) none of these things gets you into the family but helps you to mature spiritually and deepen our Relationship with God.
WOW!! I believe you just described a bunch of Mormons I know!

abc123kid

Doesn't look like it to me.

In fact, it looks very much like you are trying real hard to direct the topic to something you feel comfortable with instead of actually addressing the question.

So many assumptions you make in order to not answer the question...

Umm i case you missed the older threads. He gave me a hypothetical. And I asked him questions so I would not assume anything regarding to the hypothetical. And I think i answered the question.

McBell

Umm i case you missed the older threads. He gave me a hypothetical. And I asked him questions so I would not assume anything regarding to the hypothetical. And I think i answered the question.
And yet you still have not answered the question?

Looks like blatant avoidance to me.

abc123kid

WOW!! I believe you just described a bunch of Mormons I know!

The Mormon doctrine does not teach this however. They believe that works are necessary for salvation (to get in the family). They cripple Jesus bridging the gap to get us into the family and rely on their own works to get in the family. They are implying that Jesus was not enough. "Just from what I have read." And if they do believe this there are many other things that still need to be addressed

McBell

The Mormon doctrine does not teach this however. They believe that works are necessary for salvation (to get in the family).They cripple Jesus bridging the gap to get us into the family and rely on their own works to get in the family. They are implying that Jesus was not enough. "Just from what I have read." And if they do believe this there are many other things that still need to be addressed
No offense, but since pretty much everything you have thus far claimed is Mormon belief has been revealed to be flat out wrong, I am not about to take YOUR word for it when it comes to Mormon beliefs.

abc123kid

No offense, but since pretty much everything you have thus far claimed is Mormon belief has been revealed to be flat out wrong, I am not about to take YOUR word for it when it comes to Mormon beliefs.

Again what has been false. Did or did not Joseph Smith say that the Mormon Bookis the most correct book on earth?

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
The Mormon doctrine does not teach this however. They believe that works are necessary for salvation (to get in the family). They cripple Jesus bridging the gap to get us into the family and rely on their own works to get in the family. They are implying that Jesus was not enough. "Just from what I have read." And if they do believe this there are many other things that still need to be addressed
:eek:

Well, you got that one wrong.

From the LDS Website
Jesus Christ is the Savior of the world and the Son of God. He is our Redeemer. The Holy Bible teaches us that Jesus Christ's mother was Mary, His father on earth was Joseph, that He was born in Bethlehem and raised in Nazareth, and labored with Joseph as a carpenter. When he turned 30, He began a three-year ministry of teaching, blessing, and healing the people of the Holy Land. He also organized His Church and gave His apostles "power and authority" (Luke 9:1) to assist in His work.

But what do we mean when we say He is the Savior of the world? The Redeemer? Each of these titles points to the truth that Jesus Christ is the only way by which we can return to live with our Heavenly Father. Jesus suffered and was crucified for the sins of the world, giving each of God’s children the gift of repentance and forgiveness. Only by His mercy and grace can anyone be saved. His subsequent resurrection prepared the way for every person to overcome physical death as well. These events are called the Atonement. In short, Jesus Christ saves us from sin and death. For that, he is very literally our Savior and Redeemer. In the future Jesus Christ will return to reign on earth in peace for a thousand years. Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and He will be our Lord forever.

McBell

Again what has been false.
You really need to work on your reading comprehension skills:
pretty much everything you have thus far claimed is Mormon belief
Did or did not Joseph Smith say that the Mormon Bookis the most correct book on earth?
That is not a Mormon belief.
That is one mans opinion that may or may not have others who agree.
It is NOT Mormon doctrine, regardless of how badly you want it to be.

Shermana

Heretic

So you agree then that one must repent to be saved. Repent of what? Sin? What is the definition of sin again in 1 John 3:4? How much repentance? Of all sins one has committed? Isn't repentance a work? A work of making up for bad works? Doesn't repentance involve no longer doing bad works? Therefore, faith alone is not enough, and works are necessary.

abc123kid

You really need to work on your reading comprehension skills:
pretty much everything you have thus far claimed is Mormon belief
That is not a Mormon belief.
That is one mans opinion that may or may not have others who agree.
It is NOT Mormon doctrine, regardless of how badly you want it to be.

So you are saying that Joseph Smith made statements that could be false. He did not say he thought or his opinion was that book of mormon was... He stated that it was. Now if you say that He was mistaken I would gladly accept that. Then we could go along to the other things he also was mistaken about :drool: