• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Mormons Be Considered A Cult

abc123kid

Should the Mormon group be considered another denomination of Christianity and be accepted by the other Christian denominations. Or should the Christians continue to label the Mormon Church a cult if so why/ or why not?

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Should the Mormon group be considered another denomination of Christianity and be accepted by the other Christian denominations. Or should the Christians continue to label the Mormon Church a cult if so why/ or why not?

Since they believe in Jesus, I, personally, consider them a Christian denomination.

But what is your definition of cult? According to my definition, it is just religious group that is very small.

Straw Dog

Well, technically a cult is any small new religious movement before it gains momentum and starts integrating into the mainstream. I suppose they aren't exactly accepted by the mainstream Christian denominations, but some denominations don't really accept each other either so... I suspect you mean cult in its more popular negative connotation of being dangerous, but it really just means any small new religious movement. All major world religions began as cults.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Maybe you should start by explaining what you mean by the word "cult." That way, we could debate the question using logic, and not just emotion.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Technically, all Christian denominations are "cults"

Cult from Dictionary.com
noun
1.a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2.an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3.the object of such devotion.

4.a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

5.Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

Cult is also used as a derogatory term by many Christians when speaking of any denomination with what they see as radically different beliefs.

InformedIgnorance

Do you 'know' or believe?
If you believe Christians should consider Mormonism a cult, so too should Jews consider Christianity a cult.

Mormonism is to Christianity as Christianity is to Judaism.

Christianity represents a dramatic departure from Judaism on a range of theological and philosophical issues by a subset of adherents to what was a previously Judaic belief system triggered by what they believe is divine revelation; in the same way that Mormonism represents a dramatic departure from Christianity on a range of theological and philosophical issues by a subset of adherents to what was a previously Christian belief system triggered by what they believe is divine revelation.

Last edited:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
No more so than any other Christian denomination.

Do by chance think your cult is a better cult than the Mormon cult?

Which Mormon group are you referring to?
You do know that there is more than one, right?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Have you considered the fact that first century Christianity would qualify as a cult according to your definition? Look, I don't think you would have even started this thread if you did not personally consider Mormonism to be a cult. Why don't you just point out the specific reasons why you do, and I'll be happy to respond to each of your charges.

Last edited by a moderator:

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Please be so kind as to present the name of a single religion that does not fall under your presented criteria for being a cult...

Wait a second...
Were you perhaps looking for the response somewhat of:
OH MY FREAKING GOD!!
YOU ARE SO RIGHT!!
HOW COULD I HAVE MISSED IT FOR ALL THESE YEARS!

Cause if you were, you are going to be sadly disappointed.

Last edited by a moderator:

e.r.m.

Church of Christ

Neither.
The theology that God was a man on some other planet, that he evolved into God, and that we can become like God is not in line with christian theology. They should not be considered a christian denomination.

A cult, in my estimate, is a group that initially isolates their followers and systematically and intentionally brainwashes them. From my numerous encounters with mormons, I didn't get the impression they are a cult, as wacked as their beliefs are. They have a legal right to believe in wacked things.

Last edited:

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Neither.
The theology that God was a man on some other planet, that he evolved into God, and that we can become like God is not in line with christian theology. They should not be considered a christian denomination.

A cult, in my estimate, is a group that initially isolates their followers and systematically and intentionally brainwashes them. From my numerous encounters with mormons, I didn't get the impression they are a cult, as wacked as their beliefs are. They have a legal right to believe in wacked things.
Many would consider most theologies as "wacked out"

It is pretty amusing actuality, how some consider differing theologies within Christianity as "not in line with christian theology".

Who ultimately decides what is, and what is not "Christian Theology"?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I didn't know the National Enquirer had a religion page now. :facepalm: What does it have to say about Catholicism? That their belief in transsubstantiation makes them cannibals?

At any rate, I guess you'll have to cross C.S. Lewis off your list of Christians, too, since he believed almost exactly what Mormonism teaches about the potential God has given man to become like him. Here's how he put it...

“The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were “gods” and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

Yeah, and you have a legal right to consider someone else's beliefs "wacked." Would a non-Christian find them any more "wacked" than the mainstream (and LDS) Christian belief that a virgin gave birth to the Son of God, that this Son of God could walk on water, feed several thousand people with a handful of fish and a few loaves of bread, bring a dead man back to life or return to life himself after having been crucified? Your beliefs aren't "wacked," are they? :rolleyes: By the way, what would you call someone who believes the following about Jesus Christ, if not a Christian?

1. He was with His Father in the beginning.
2. He created our universe and everything in it.
3. He was born to a virgin.
4. He lived a perfect life.
5. He began a three-year ministry at about the age of 30.
6. He chose and ordained twelve men to be His Apostles.
7. He built His church, using them as it's foundation.
8. He taught a gospel of love, mercy, forgiveness and charity.
9. He taught us to pray to "our Father in Heaven."
10. He performed many miracles, including raising the dead.
11. He was betrayed by one of His closest friends, and another denied even knowing Him.
12. He suffered excruciating pain at the hands of His enemies.
13. He paid the price for our sins, so that we might be reconciled to our Father in Heaven.
14. He rose from the dead on the third day after his crucifixion, conquering death.
15. He ascended into Heaven where He reigns today with His Father.
16. He will one day return to reign in glory on the earth.

Last edited:

abc123kid

I do not believe that Mormons are an off brand denominations because they deny one or more essential doctrines of the Christian faith.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I didn't know the National Enquirer had a religion page now. :facepalm: What does it have to say about Catholicism? That their belief in transsubstantiation makes them cannibals?

At any rate, I guess you'll have to cross C.S. Lewis off your list of Christians, too, since he believed almost exactly what Mormonism teaches about the potential God has given man to become like him. Here's how he put it...

“The command Be ye perfect is not idealistic gas. Nor is it a command to do the impossible. He is going to make us into creatures that can obey that command. He said (in the Bible) that we were “gods” and He is going to make good His words. If we let Him – for we can prevent Him, if we choose – He will make the feeblest and filthiest of us into a god or goddess, dazzling, radiant, immortal creature, pulsating all through with such energy and joy and wisdom and love as we cannot now imagine, a bright stainless mirror which reflects back to God perfectly (though, of course, on a smaller scale) His own boundless power and delight and goodness. The process will be long and in parts very painful; but that is what we are in for. Nothing less. He meant what He said."

Yeah, and you have a legal right to consider someone else's beliefs "wacked." Would a non-Christian find them any more "wacked" than the mainstream (and LDS) Christian belief that a virgin gave birth to the Son of God, that this Son of God could walk on water, feed several thousand people with a handful of fish and a few loaves of bread, bring a dead man back to life or return to life himself after having been crucified? Your beliefs aren't "wacked," are they? :rolleyes: By the way, what would you call someone who believes the following about Jesus Christ, if not a Christian?

1. He was with His Father in the beginning.
2. He created our universe and everything in it.
3. He was born to a virgin.
4. He lived a perfect life.
5. He began a three-year ministry at about the age of 30.
6. He chose and ordained twelve men to be His Apostles.
7. He built His church, using them as it's foundation.
8. He taught a gospel of love, mercy, forgiveness and charity.
9. He taught us to pray to "our Father in Heaven."
10. He performed many miracles, including raising the dead.
11. He was betrayed by one of His closest friends, and another denied even knowing Him.
12. He suffered excruciating pain at the hands of His enemies.
13. He paid the price for our sins, so that we might be reconciled to our Father in Heaven.
14. He rose from the dead on the third day after his crucifixion, conquering death.
15. He ascended into Heaven where He reigns today with His Father.
16. He will one day return to reign in glory on the earth.
1-16 Are hard to grasp. Agreed.
My belief is that the Bible decides Christian theology. Romans 8:17 (cited to me by a Mormon) does not say that the inheritance includes all of God's powers. That part was completely inferred by some latter-day saint.
Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
If God was a man on some planet, then the heavens were
created before this man evolved into God. Not in line with Christian theology.
I think the Narnia movies were good, and I like the screwtape letters, but C.S. Lewis does not have more authority than the Bible.

Last edited:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
But what is your definition of cult? According to my definition, it is just religious group that is very small.

There's a word used by some professors of comparative religion -- "cultus" -- to refer to any socio-ethical religion, regardless of size. So, for instance, the Catholic Church would be a cultus. But aside from such technical usage, I think "cult", for most people, means a small or very small religious group. And then, there may be some others who use the word "cult" in a merely derogatory way.