• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Mormons Be Considered A Cult

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

If God was a man on some planet, then the heavens were
created before this man evolved into God. Not in line with Christian theology.

John 1:3
All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

including the planet on which God/man lived.

I have no doubt that there are wonderful loving people in the Latter Day Saint faith.
Perhaps this would be a good time to post the following statement issued in 2007 by the LDS Church...

Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.

Some doctrines are more important than others and might be considered core doctrines. For example, the precise location of the Garden of Eden is far less important than doctrine about Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice. The mistake that public commentators often make is taking an obscure teaching that is peripheral to the Church’s purpose and placing it at the very center. This is especially common among reporters or researchers who rely on how other Christians interpret Latter-day Saint doctrine.

If you can find the teachings you're referring to in any of the books of the LDS canon, please be so kind as to point them out to me.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Technically, all Christian denominations are "cults"

Cult from Dictionary.com
noun
1.a particular system of religious worship, especially with reference to its rites and ceremonies.

2.an instance of great veneration of a person, ideal, or thing, especially as manifested by a body of admirers: the physical fitness cult.

3.the object of such devotion.

4.a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.

5.Sociology . a group having a sacred ideology and a set of rites centering around their sacred symbols.

Cult is also used as a derogatory term by many Christians when speaking of any denomination with what they see as radically different beliefs.

From those definitions all denominations and religions are Cults.
I agree that is used as a derogatory term, with out any any justification.

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
Should the Mormon group be considered another denomination of Christianity and be accepted by the other Christian denominations. Or should the Christians continue to label the Mormon Church a cult if so why/ or why not?

I find it hard to believe how many threads we have to suffer like this one.
Every time the new poster thinks what they are saying is adding something new or worth while. When it shows little more than their ignorance.

The Latter Day Saints are a respected branch of Christianity, who offer us all, both important insights into Christianity and Moral standards, whilst having some unique beliefs not shared by other Christians.

Most denominations share common beliefs based on the life and teachings of Jesus.
they also have unique difference that define their particular denomination. This is no more than the case with the LDS.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
I view all religions as cults. That being said, I find the Mormon church to be culty. Nice people, though.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
If all churches are cults, then the word "cult" has no useful meaning.....just another word for religion.
I prefer to apply it to groups under the heavy influence of a single charismatic person.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Perhaps this would be a good time to post the following statement issued in 2007 by the LDS Church...

Not every statement made by a Church leader, past or present, necessarily constitutes doctrine. A single statement made by a single leader on a single occasion often represents a personal, though well-considered, opinion, but is not meant to be officially binding for the whole Church. With divine inspiration, the First Presidency (the prophet and his two counselors) and the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles (the second-highest governing body of the Church) counsel together to establish doctrine that is consistently proclaimed in official Church publications. This doctrine resides in the four “standard works” of scripture (the Holy Bible, the Book of Mormon, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price), official declarations and proclamations, and the Articles of Faith. Isolated statements are often taken out of context, leaving their original meaning distorted.

Some doctrines are more important than others and might be considered core doctrines. For example, the precise location of the Garden of Eden is far less important than doctrine about Jesus Christ and His atoning sacrifice. The mistake that public commentators often make is taking an obscure teaching that is peripheral to the Church’s purpose and placing it at the very center. This is especially common among reporters or researchers who rely on how other Christians interpret Latter-day Saint doctrine.

If you can find the teachings you're referring to in any of the books of the LDS canon, please be so kind as to point them out to me.

Fair enough.

zomg

I aim to misbehave!
I think why some people would consider Mormonism a cult has to do with the temple. When asked about the temple most Mormons will respond with "I can't talk about it" or "We aren't supposed to talk about it outside of the temple".

As a person who has been through the Mormon temple ceremony I can see why people would think it is culty. I think it is and the ceremony used to be a lot more culty - the penalties for revealing the secrets (throat slit, tongue ripped out, bowels ripped open) were removed in 1990, thank goodness.

Me Myself

Back to my username
Christianity started off as a Jewish cult, so if it is a cult... are we supposed to think there is something inherently wrong with that?

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I think why some people would consider Mormonism a cult has to do with the temple. When asked about the temple most Mormons will respond with "I can't talk about it" or "We aren't supposed to talk about it outside of the temple".
I disagree. The real reason is that "cult" is the most negative word they can think of, and when you don't like someone, it makes you feel good to call him a "bad name." The label you attach to someone often has very little to do with what he is but with how negatively you want people to see him. This is a classic example of adults behaving like children on a school playground.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I find it hard to believe how many threads we have to suffer like this one.
Every time the new poster thinks what they are saying is adding something new or worth while. When it shows little more than their ignorance.
It's okay, though. I've been posting nearly seven years now, and I've noticed how people's perceptions of Mormonism (on this forum) have changed over the years. If this thread had been started seven years ago, many of the people who have said they don't believe Mormonism to be a cult would have said quite the opposite. If I can help provide people with accurate information about what my Church teaches, and if their opinions can become more positive over time, my time here will have been well spent. I'm not looking to convert people. I'm looking to correct inaccuracies in what people think Mormons believe. When I can see improvement over time, I'm pleased.

abc123kid

"Essential" as defined by whom? If a Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ, we should probably let Him decide. He said that men would be able to identify His disciples by the love they showed to one another. That's pretty much the extent of what He said regarding who He considered His followers to be. Furthermore, there is not one single solitary passage of scripture in the Bible that we do not accept as true.
Mormon Belief
1) Book of Mormon more correct than the Bible (History of Church 4:461)
2) Jesus and Satan Spirit Brother (Mormon Doctrine pg 163)
3) God used to be a man on another planet (Mormon Doctrine pg 321)
4) The Father has flesh and bones (D&C 130:22)
5) Many gods (Mormon Doctrine pg 163)
6) Jesus was not God in the beginning He had to come into existence (Mormon Doctrine pg 129)

Christian Belief
1) Bible is infallible word of God (2 Tim 3:16)
2) Jesus is God and Creator of Satan (John 1:3 ; Col 1:16)
3) God has always been God (Ps 93:2; Is 43:10b; is 45:5)
4) God is spirit (John 4:24); Spirit has no flesh and bones (Luke 24:39)
5) One God (Deut 6:4; Is 43:10b; Is 45:5)
6) Jesus is God and Creator ( John 1:3; Col 1:16)

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Mormon Belief
6) Jesus was not God in the beginning He had to come into existence (Mormon Doctrine pg 129)

Christian Belief
1) Bible is infallible word of God (2 Tim 3:16)

Guess you missed this...

And the fact that what you consider "Christian Beliefs" are not absolute for all Christian Denominations.

But why do you continue with your "No True Scotsman" arguments? Is it your contention that if a Christian Denomination does not fit your qualifications for Christianity, they must be labeled a 'cult'?

abc123kid

The Mormon church literally traces their roots to one guy Joseph Smith. I think every Mormon would agree with me that their whole existence is based on the one guy Joseph Smith. Now either Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God and he heard from God and brought back the true church that Christ has set up (LDS) or Joseph Smith was a false prophet and did not hear from God and the LDS church was founded on the basis of a lie which would be contrary to God's nature. The Bible tells us how to distinguish between true prophets and false prophets.

But the prophet who shall speak a word presumptuously in My name which I have not commanded him to speak, or which he shall speak in the name of other gods, that prophet shall die.’ 21 "And you may say in your heart, ‘How shall we know the word which the Lord has not spoken?’ 22 "When a prophet speaks in the name of the Lord, if the thing does not come about or come true, that is the thing which the Lord has not spoken. The prophet has spoken it presumptuously; you shall not be afraid of him," (Deut. 18:20-22)

Joseph Smith made several prophesies that did not come true.
1) Jesus would return in 56 years or 1891 (History of the Church vol. 2 pg 189)
2) All nations would be involved in Civil War (Doctrine & Covenant 87:1-3)
3) Sun will not give light in "not many days" (88:87)

abc123kid

Guess you missed this...

And the fact that what you consider "Christian Beliefs" are not absolute for all Christian Denominations.

But why do you continue with your "No True Scotsman" arguments? Is it your contention that if a Christian Denomination does not fit your qualifications for Christianity, they must be labeled a 'cult'?

The books that I quoted were doctrines and covenants and books the Mormons use. And every Christian belief that I quoted is believed by Christians as a whole. Christians though their are many denominations also recognizes the other as brothers in the faith. Mormons on the other Christians as a whole and Im talking about leadership within Catholics, Pentecostal, Baptist, Adventist, etc have all come out to say that Mormons do not hold the essential doctrines to be labeled Christian.

abc123kid

Guess you missed this...

And you made the comparison of Location of Garden of Eden is not as important as Jesus atoning work. Which I agree with. But even Mormons do not agree with the atoning work which you yourself said was important. Christians believe the atoning work was on the Cross. Mormons believe that it was in the garden of Gethsemane.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Mormon Belief​

Christian Belief​

1) Bible is infallible word of God (2 Tim 3:16)​
Did you even bother to read my post #41? You have listed six "Mormon beliefs" and not one of your sources is canonical. Not one. We can discuss these points one at a time, but I don't really think you're interested in playing fair, are you? You've got this idea in your head that Mormonism is a cult, and this idea is based upon half-truths and lies, probably from some anti-Mormon website or in the "cult section" of your local "Christian" bookstore. Do you want to know what we really believe? Or would you prefer to just keep your head in the sand? I ask this question because if you're really willing to make the effort to get your facts straight, I can be infinitely patient in explaining our beliefs. But if you're going to just turn around and tell me that (1) you know Mormon doctrine better than I do or (2) I'm not being honest about what we believe, then I refuse to waste my time.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
Christians believe the atoning work was on the Cross. Mormons believe that it was in the garden of Gethsemane.
Mormons believe the Atonement began in Gethsemane and culminated on the Calvary. I guess we just believe Jesus suffered more than you believe He did. :rolleyes: