• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Should Mormons Be Considered A Cult

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
I do not believe that Mormons are an off brand denominations because they deny one or more essential doctrines of the Christian faith.
Essential to you perhaps.
Obviously not essential to all Christians.

McBell

1-16 Are hard to grasp. Agreed.
My belief is that the Bible decides Christian theology. Romans 8:17 (cited to me by a Mormon) does not say that the inheritance includes all of God's powers. That part was completely inferred by some latter-day saint.
Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
If God was a man on some planet, then the heavens were
created before this man evolved into God. Not in line with Christian theology.
I think the Narnia movies were good, and I like the screwtape letters, but C.S. Lewis does not have more authority than the Bible.
So why do you think that YOU have more authority?

McBell

There's a word used by some professors of comparative religion -- "cultus" -- to refer to any socio-ethical religion, regardless of size. So, for instance, the Catholic Church would be a cultus. But aside from such technical usage, I think "cult", for most people, means a small or very small religious group. And then, there may be some others who use the word "cult" in a merely derogatory way.
Based upon the context used in the OP i would say they define "cult" as any belief that differs from their beliefs.

Marco19

Researcher
I think first we should know the history of the word cult, then see if it makes sense to use it at all!

The term "cult" first appeared in English in 1617, derived from the French culte, meaning "worship" or "a particular form of worship" which in turn originated from the Latin word cultus meaning "care, cultivation, worship," originally "tended, cultivated," as in the past participle of colere "to till the soil". In French, for example, sections in newspapers giving the schedule of worship at Catholic churches are headed Culte Catholique; the section giving the schedule of Protestant churches is headed culte réformé.
The meaning "devotion to a person or thing" is from 1829. Starting about 1920,

Shermana

Heretic
Should the Mormon group be considered another denomination of Christianity and be accepted by the other Christian denominations. Or should the Christians continue to label the Mormon Church a cult if so why/ or why not?

What is the definition of the word "Cult" in your case? Does a group have to have a small membership to be a cult? Why would Mormons be a cult as opposed to every Protestant denomination? Why wouldn't the Catholic Church be a cult? Because of the numbers of worshippers alone? At what point does a religion become a cult? Why wouldn't a local Presbytarian church be considered a part of a larger"cult"?

Edit: It appears the OP is already being hammered with the same by others.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Christian Universalists - Christian?
Pentecostal Assemblies of the World - Christian?
Seventh Day Adventist - Christian?
Churches of Christ - Christian?
Religious Society of Friends - Christian?
Zion Christian Church - Christians?
Restored Apostolic Mission Church - Christian?
Dunkard Brethren - Christian?
Mennonites - Christian?
Old Order Amish - Christian?
Waldensians - Christians?
Coptic - Christian?
Greek Orthodox - Christian?
Roman Catholic Church - Christian?
Mariavite Church - Christian?
Baptist - Christian?

What unique belief defines these churches as "Christian" or not?
(Amazing the differing beliefs within Christianity, and those who look with disdain on other denominations as not being 'real Christians'.)

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Everyone, I rescind my use of the term wacked, I apologize, but I maintain that it is not in line with Christian theology.

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
Funny, I would have that the defining of a Christian would come from Jesus, not Genesis.

Such as...
Matthew 25:34-45
and
Mark 10:18-25

Christianity has it's roots in Judaism, but this applies as well.
John 1:3
Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made.

including the planet on which God/man lived.

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon
I do not believe that Mormons are an off brand denominations because they deny one or more essential doctrines of the Christian faith.
"Essential" as defined by whom? If a Christian is a follower of Jesus Christ, we should probably let Him decide. He said that men would be able to identify His disciples by the love they showed to one another. That's pretty much the extent of what He said regarding who He considered His followers to be. Furthermore, there is not one single solitary passage of scripture in the Bible that we do not accept as true.

Last edited:

Katzpur

Not your average Mormon

What he said.
I'm just really curious as to what these essential doctrines are. When you answer, please keep in mind that you don't want to exclude any of the first and second century Christians who were martyred for their belief in Jesus Christ.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Matthew 5:44 But I say to you, Love your enemies, bless those who curse you, do good to those who hate you, and pray for those who despitefully use you and persecute you,
Matthew 22:37 Jesus said to him, You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, and with all your soul, and with all your mind.
Mat 22:39 And the second is like it, You shall love your neighbor as yourself.

These are all verses about some of the "essentials" of Christian belief. The Mormons I have known and were close friends with followed all of those listed above and more. :)

e.r.m.

Church of Christ
I'm just really curious as to what these essential doctrines are. When you answer, please keep in mind that you don't want to exclude any of the first and second century Christians who were martyred for their belief in Jesus Christ.
Genesis 1:1
In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

If God was a man on some planet, then the heavens were
created before this man evolved into God. Not in line with Christian theology.

John 1:3
All things came into being through Him, and apart from Him nothing came into being that has come into being.

including the planet on which God/man lived.

I have no doubt that there are wonderful loving people in the Latter Day Saint faith.

Last edited:

McBell

(Amazing the differing beliefs within Christianity, and those who look with disdain on other denominations as not being 'real Christians'.)
Not really.
I mean, most Christians who claim that denominations other their own are wrong or not Christians also suffer from a serious elitest attitude.

McBell

Everyone, I rescind my use of the term wacked, I apologize, but I maintain that it is not in line with Christian theology.
And by what authority have you to declare what is and what what is not Christian Theology?

I mean, why should anyone take your opinions on what is and what is not Christian theology as anything other than your opinion?