• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selfish or Selfless

Do you tend toward selfishness or selflessness?

• Selfishness

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Selflessness

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
Great suggestion! I may do just that!
I bring it up because there are people I know who would say I am the most selfless person they ever met.
AND
there are people I know who would say I am the most selfish person they ever met.

Guess which ones interacted with me during the "have to be selfish in order to get into a position to help others"?

Funny thing though, i have noticed there are an awful lot of people who expect others to be much more selfless than they themselves are.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
I think it is kind of a trick question. We all have the selfish desire to be happy. And the way to eternal happiness is being selfless.

(coming from Advaita Vedanta perspective)

SalixIncendium

अहं ब्रह्मास्मि
Staff member
Premium Member
I think it is kind of a trick question. We all have the selfish desire to be happy. And the way to eternal happiness is being selfless.

(coming from Advaita Vedanta perspective)

From and Advaita Vedanta perspective, eternal bliss comes as a result of renunciation of desires and attachments.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
The problem is I have to sometimes be selfish in order to get into a position where I can be selfless.
I want to point out that being selfish does not mean one has to be mean, evil, and or cruel to others.

I also find it interesting how some people will accuse others of being selfish when the other does not bow down and kiss their backside.

A person I know has given everything.
Including literally both legs, the operation is scheduled for next month.
Yet it is not enough for his wife.
Who still accuses him of being selfish when it is crystal clear to everyone that it is her being selfish.

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you consider yourself the be selfish or selfless? I'm creating a poll so you can answer anonymously, but feel free to elaborate on why below.

Also, what qualities do you think make one selfless? What qualities do you think make one selfish?

This is complicated. I follow and advocate my interests and views and act in accordance to them. But my interests are teaching students, science education, improving the health of the planet through sustainability and conservation etc. I am neither being selfish or selfless in my view...simply following a well thought out path towards expressing my talents and self-nature in a positive way for myself and the world.
The selfish/self-less dichotomy assumes that the interests of the self is in conflict with the interests of the world. I reject this thesis.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I suspect some might not answer (me for one) unless the third option was presented - that being a mixture - and where it might depend upon the circumstances.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Do you consider yourself the be selfish or selfless? I'm creating a poll so you can answer anonymously, but feel free to elaborate on why below.

Also, what qualities do you think make one selfless? What qualities do you think make one selfish?

How would one measure such a thing?
I really don't know....really.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

Out of the two, I'd pick selfish. But the world makes it seem I'm more ego and self-centered. Maybe individualist would better. A lot of it is based on my culture in that we tend to say "we have to take care of ourselves before we take care of others" or for some people they give charity to those they feel deserve it rather than charity for those for the sake of giving.

I would like to be more concerned with others than myself; but, I don't like the dichotomy. It's a default we have to take care of ourselves so why not both?

osgart

Nothing my eye, Something for sure
I agree that my selfish aligns with my selfless. My view is selfless people deserve more. And it's all about deserve to me. Selflessness knows love. Selfishness knows that I gotta see myself as I am and take care of myself, because there are times when help can't be found. And there are times when harmful people would take away from me.

Ponder This

You cannot escape your "Self".

Last edited by a moderator:

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I'm all over the board on this. It so depends on my mood and the circumstances.

Like most sensible people, I don't mind punching a close friend in the throat to get her fingers off the last chocolate candy in the box that we've been sharing. But that's chocolate, you know. Chocolate has its own rules of engagement.

On the other hand, I can be abundantly generousness and sharing, even when I expect nothing from it. Of course, whenever I'm generous, I'm always cranky afterwards for a few days.

Hard for me to see where I am on the scale.