• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Selfish or Selfless

Do you tend toward selfishness or selflessness?

• Selfishness

Votes: 11 73.3%
  • Selflessness

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Do you consider yourself the be selfish or selfless? I'm creating a poll so you can answer anonymously, but feel free to elaborate on why below.

Also, what qualities do you think make one selfless? What qualities do you think make one selfish?

74x12

Do you consider yourself the be selfish or selfless? I'm creating a poll so you can answer anonymously, but feel free to elaborate on why below.

Also, what qualities do you think make one selfless? What qualities do you think make one selfish?

I try to be more selfless but am selfish by nature. (That's why I voted selfish)

Spirit of Light

Be who ever you want

I would say I try to become more and more selfless, but can honestly admit that I can be selfish from time to time too, so I am not a saint who is always selfless.

Selflessness to the way I see it is when you think of everyone else first (but do not forget yourself) So that you accept what is left when others have had at it first. an example can be you let others on the bus before your self, or if someone is in danger of being hurt, you put your self in line of danger to help the other person, without thinking of your own safety, before you have saved others.

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
I think its difficult to look at yourself in such terms. While nobody would want to admit to being selfish, if you looked at how other people perceived you, and listened to that, it is probably a better indicator.

Surely we've all encountered people who had opinions of themselves (both ways ... low self-esteem, and high self-esteem) that we differed with, sometimes strongly.

bobhikes

Nondetermined
Premium Member

I am both as I believe most people are.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara
Left wingers tend to be more selfless.
Right wingers tend to be more selfish.
Left wingers tend to be more unhappy.
Right wingers tend to be more happy.

I'm sure we're all both, depending on mood and/or situation. (Prof. Jonathan Haidt says we are 90% selfish primate and 10% selfless bee...)

Last edited:

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
Interesting. Can you elaborate on what you mean by "enlightened self-interest"?

I have found that, to best help myself, it is a good thing to help others. None of us are *always* able to fend for ourselves, so having other people who like and trust us is in our own self-interest. The best way to find such people is to be helpful and trusting of others.

In other words, having a community is something that is of benefit, even if someone is perfectly selfish. It benefits both physical and mental health. It makes life easier and happier.

Enlightened self-interest is partly the realization that I benefit strongly by helping others.

Often, the image of someone who is selfish is that they are nasty people who don't care about others. But, if you think about it, who wants to help such a person? Of what benefit is it to be nasty and not care about others? Even if someone *only* cared about themselves, it is of huge benefit to them to help others and to do so honestly and freely.

I have found that kindness returns to me three-fold. If I put myself out to help others, they will put themselves out to help me. Having people to share the burdens of life is an immense benefit. If I help them get what they want, they will help me get want I want.

We are a social species. That means we benefit from having others around.

atanu

Premium Member

I voted for 'Selfish'.

Super Universe

Defender of God
I am very selfish but 90% of you are more selfish than I am.

The current nature of humans is extremely selfish. You do a little for others, you give a little to charity, but most of you don't want to do more than the person next to you.

People living now compare themselves to their neighbor instead of comparing themselves to a futuristic humanity that has evolved.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
I am very selfish but 90% of you are more selfish than I am.

[citation needed]

The current nature of humans is extremely selfish. You do a little for others, you give a little to charity, but most of you don't want to do more than the person next to you.

40vifm.jpg

PureX

Veteran Member
Most of the time, these conceptual circumstances are not antithetical to each other. What is good for the individual, is also good for the collective, and what is good for the collective is also good for the individual. However, we do occasionally encounter conditions and circumstances wherein the well-being of the individual, and the well-being of the collective, are opposed to each other. In such instances, the sacrifice of the one is preferred to the sacrifice of the many, as it engenders the lesser quantity of sacrifice (suffering). However, if the sacrifice of one individual for the sake of a collective group causes the collective group to lose it's cohesive purpose, then the sacrifice of the one is no longer the logical choice, as the collective has then become (or will become) an incoherent number of individuals, each of equal import.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
Selfish because I have a lower ego. That means it's all about me whether I do what's conventionally positive or negative. I might return $10,000 I find in the street but from a selfish motive of patting myself on the back for being 'good'. I might keep the money and chortle about the idiot who was stupid enough to lose the money - obviously selfish.

McBell

Resident Sourpuss

One can not help others until they are in a position where they can help others.
For most people, in order to get into a position to help others, you have to help yourself.

When I am in a position to be selfless, I am selfless.
The problem is I have to sometimes be selfish in order to get into a position where I can be selfless.