• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saving Yourself for Marriage?

moodys

First, a correlation does not prove causation
Irrelevant. That's firstly not something I've denied, moreover, the study claims correlation, not causation.

Second, one study does not a law of nature make.
I don't follow.

Third, there is a study that suggests women's happiness increases after divorce. Suppose that study were collaborated by several other studies: Would that mean women should never get married, or having gotten married, should divorce?
That study is reasonably explainable, as you should have known if you read the article. It makes sense that women who enter into unsatisfactory or unhappy marriages would feel happier after a divorce, it is typically such relationships that go through divorce proceedings.

Fourth, even if the study is accurate, that does not mean that all women who engage in casual sex will suffer from depression and anxiety.
Irrelevant. The study doesn't even claim this, neither did I.

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
Irrelevant. That's firstly not something I've denied, moreover, the study claims correlation, not causation.

I don't follow.

That study is reasonably explainable, as you should have known if you read the article. It makes sense that women who enter into unsatisfactory or unhappy marriages would feel happier after a divorce, it is typically such relationships that go through divorce proceedings.

Irrelevant. The study doesn't even claim this, neither did I.

My qualifications stand as qualifications in their own right, regardless of whether or not you are able to grasp them, or think them relevant.

Me Myself

Back to my username

All correlations have explanations of some sort. The thing is that that study shows that until you understand the specific kind of relationship that happens between the factors, you know... Almost nothing at best, and are at risk of dire bad reading of conclusions at worst.

There still remains that there is a correlation between divorce and happiness for women.

moodys

My qualifications stand as qualifications in their own right, regardless of whether or not you are able to grasp them, or think them relevant.
But they are not relevant, you've made a series of arbitrary and obvious statements as a response to a study such as "correlation does not imply causation" or "that does not mean that all women who engage in casual sex will suffer" etc.

moodys

There still remains that there is a correlation between divorce and happiness for women.
Precisely, but the study only took into account the emotions closely preceding and following the divorce (up to 5 years). It did not take into account for example, the emotions of a woman in the 2nd year of a 13 year marriage, which I'm sure would in all probability, have been better than following the divorce.

Debater Slayer

Vipassana
Staff member
Premium Member
I am not saying to replace sexual obsession. I am just saying that it is better to promote celibacy as an equally masculine alternative. Celibacy is heavily frowned upon now in America :D. It is viewed as outdated and is treated as an assault on masculinity for some reason. The common thought is that men should be overly sexual beasts with no common sense or restraint.

I am clueless as to how this concept came about but this primarily became abundant with the increased fall of Christianity and secular promotion.

I think that promoting either extreme as being more "masculine"/"manly" than other alternatives still wouldn't be optimal in that case. In my opinion, sexual desire is something to neither be ashamed of nor obsessed with; it's just natural, useful, and pleasurable to act on for most people, similar to breathing, eating, drinking, etc.

yoda89

On Xtended Vacation
You know its really up to you and you should keep it that way. Discover and look inside. What do you want? Some of these people have given great advice. Take their advice and reflect on it. However do not let them make the decision for you. At the end of the day you have to live with your choices. Ignore statistics because you are not one. You are a unique individual who has the option now of choosing. My advice is to not necessarily wait until marriage. Wait for someone you love. Also no matter how much you care for them use a condom.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
I think that promoting either extreme as being more "masculine"/"manly" than other alternatives still wouldn't be optimal in that case. In my opinion, sexual desire is something to neither be ashamed of nor obsessed with; it's just natural, useful, and pleasurable to act on for most people, similar to breathing, eating, drinking, etc.

I am not saying to promote either as batter then the other I only want them both to be equal.

Sexual desire is not viewed upon as natural as you defined it. In America it is viewed as a film making plot, marketing campaign and even conventions. Sex permeates more things then it should and has become a broken crutch in society almost. There is literally too much emphasis on sex.
Sex is not viewed as this natural thing that occurs between people, it is viewed as this deified actions that is better then heaven itself.
Media that markets to children and teenagers is SOLELY built upon sex such as recent cinema productions based from literature.

I can think of 6 film franchises entirely built from this that markets towards teens.

America is entirely sex obsessed and this is very abundant to me. I do not hate sex but I find it boring as possible and the fact I am enjoying less and less is becoming more obvious as sex is always being used as a gimmick for either entertainment or socializing. I have literally been ostracized multiple times for my lack of sexuality!
And this has been going on since I was a teenager :faint: The lack of sexual perversion, sexual obsession or at least sexuality is literally scorned

Shermana

Heretic
I am not saying to promote either as batter then the other I only want them both to be equal.

Sexual desire is not viewed upon as natural as you defined it. In America it is viewed as a film making plot, marketing campaign and even conventions. Sex permeates more things then it should and has become a broken crutch in society almost. There is literally too much emphasis on sex.
Sex is not viewed as this natural thing that occurs between people, it is viewed as this deified actions that is better then heaven itself.
Media that markets to children and teenagers is SOLELY built upon sex such as recent cinema productions based from literature.

I can think of 6 film franchises entirely built from this that markets towards teens.

America is entirely sex obsessed and this is very abundant to me. I do not hate sex but I find it boring as possible and the fact I am enjoying less and less is becoming more obvious as sex is always being used as a gimmick for either entertainment or socializing. I have literally been ostracized multiple times for my lack of sexuality!
And this has been going on since I was a teenager :faint: The lack of sexual perversion, sexual obsession or at least sexuality is literally scorned

You would make a great Gnostic-Nazarene.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
I have literally been ostracized multiple times for my lack of sexuality!
You gotta admit; it's kinda hard to trust a guy that doesn't like sex...

Shermana

Heretic
Thank you I have been studying into Gnosticism a few days ago. I have actually been reading my Bible fluidly in like.....10 years I think :D

Please by all means PM me if you'd like to discuss early Jewish-Christian Gnosticism, it's a rarity to meet someone who can understand let alone agree with the core concepts such as chastity. Or start a thread on the Gnostic DIR.

Shermana

Heretic
Well I guess we can rule out Bill Clinton ;)

No joke.

Seriously, everyone should take into consideration: What is the PRIMARY reason that politicians will accept bribes, subvert laws, and try to embezzle and cheat whatever they can out of the national coffers?

What is the main reason they don't want to be content to a nice, quiet upper middle class life?

What would happen if we weeded out all the people seeking office for the access to "interns"?

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
No joke.

Seriously, everyone should take into consideration: What is the PRIMARY reason that politicians will accept bribes, subvert laws, and try to embezzle and cheat whatever they can out of the national coffers?

What is the main reason they don't want to be content to a nice, quiet upper middle class life?

Money... Sex is secondary.

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
You gotta admit; it's kinda hard to trust a guy that doesn't like sex...

I do not commit acts of rape, molestation, pedophilia, hebephilia, bestiality, homosexuality(except for Burt Reynolds), bisexuality, nor voyeurism.

All you have to worry about me is either trying to date Burt Reynolds or spank a person. :shrug: I am as trustworthy as it comes

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
No joke.

What would happen if we weeded out all the people seeking office for the access to "interns"?

That is like 96% of all politicians I think. People should seriously start considering Communist ideology as more beneficial. I am not saying to start a revolution and reconstruct America as a Soviet nation but try to understand what Communism was about so we can build a government that is not split between the people and the government.