• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Saving Yourself for Marriage?

Galen.Iksnudnard

Having been raised in even a moderate xtian home, I was always taught that you weren't supposed to have sex outside of marriage. At worst it was a sin, and if not that it just wasn't done in polite society.

Although I'm still a xtian, my stance is different nowadays I realize that God forgives. Jesus didn't go around criticizing people all the time and some of the apocrypha says he might have had an affair with Mary Magdalene.

If you know the stories about Cardinals and Popes.....

Surely you're not naive enough to believe they are adamantly all set on celibacy, right?

Yahshua said concerning the Pharisees and scribes, "Do as they tell you...but do not do as they do."

Not that I'm advocating celibacy or anything. I doubt Yahshua had any problems with marriage or children.

Shermana

Heretic
Having been raised in even a moderate xtian home, I was always taught that you weren't supposed to have sex outside of marriage. At worst it was a sin, and if not that it just wasn't done in polite society.

Although I'm still a xtian, my stance is different nowadays I realize that God forgives. Jesus didn't go around criticizing people all the time and some of the apocrypha says he might have had an affair with Mary Magdalene.

Not to get into a Theological discussion, but just wanted to say, the notion of using the "God/Jesus forgives me" excuse for a license for licentenciousness is specifically condemned in Jude. Doesn't work like that. Can't just go do whatever and say "Jesus will forgive me", or "it's okay, Jesus forgave me". This is one of my most major reasons for my utter detestation of modern Protestant doctrine and their minimalist interpretations of Jesus's teachings.

Also, Jesus very well did in fact go around criticizing people all the time. And the episode in John 7:58-8:11 is most likely a later interpolation.

Also, as for the apocrypha, all I'm aware of is the Gospel of Philip saying that Jesus kissed Mary on the lips. Nothing in the Gnostic or "lost" writings that are available remotely indicate he had carnal relations. The Apocryphal Acts and other works if anything stress big time the importance of Chastity, even exhorting wives to stop sleeping with their husbands.

Carry on everyone.

Last edited:

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Not to get into a Theological discussion, but just wanted to say, the notion of using the "God/Jesus forgives me" excuse for a license for licentenciousness is specifically condemned in Jude. Doesn't work like that. Can't just go do whatever and say "Jesus will forgive me", or "it's okay, Jesus forgave me". This is one of my most major reasons for my utter detestation of modern Protestant doctrine and their minimalist interpretations of Jesus's teachings.

Also, Jesus very well did in fact go around criticizing people all the time. And the episode in John 7:58-8:11 is most likely a later interpolation.

Also, as for the apocrypha, all I'm aware of is the Gospel of Philip saying that Jesus kissed Mary on the lips. Nothing in the Gnostic or "lost" writings that are available remotely indicate he had carnal relations. The Apocryphal Acts and other works if anything stress big time the importance of Chastity, even exhorting wives to stop sleeping with their husbands.

Carry on everyone.

:clap

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة

Most Christians follow doctrine and not the Bible. Considering Jesus's heavy criticism on the turning of the synagogue into a market I would say Jesus is quite harsh on sin. He did preach hell afterall

Shermana

Heretic
You mean the likes of Pat Robertson, James Dobson, and Jerry Falwell? Those kinds of chaste people?

If you know anything about Televangelists, like I said to 9/10ths with Popes and Cardinals, they ain't likely all that chaste. In fact I'd be more suspicious of them being eager to get "close" with their flock than secular politicians!

Shermana

Heretic
Look they have their own Wiki page ;). JUST for scandals

Hey, in their Theology, Jesus forgives them anyway, why even be chaste to begin with? Who cares what Jude says!

But yeah, I love that Scandals page. I highly doubt there's a single one of them that's not involved with a scandal.

And let's not even start with the stories of local church pastors....

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
Hey, in their Theology, Jesus forgives them anyway, why even be chaste to begin with? Who cares what Jude says!

Jude?
*rips portion out of Bible*
What Jude? I do not know of any Jude
whistling.gif

Evangelism 101 ;)

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
If you know anything about Televangelists, like I said to 9/10ths with Popes and Cardinals, they ain't likely all that chaste. In fact I'd be more suspicious of them being eager to get "close" with their flock than secular politicians!

Fair enough: eunuchocracy it is. Nobody else can be trusted not to get it on with someone.

I.S.L.A.M617

Illuminatus
The idea that intelligence, aptitude, and the ability to make good decisions are somehow contained in your sperm is, for lack of a better word... Retarded.

Shermana

Heretic
You realize that still doesn't mean that busting a nut makes you dumber or less able to make decisions, right?

Oh sorry thought you meant something else since that's not at all what I was talking about, but I think Seinfeld had something going on there.