• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Same-faith....debates?! What?!

Hockeycowboy

Witness for Jehovah
Premium Member
I guess this is common for Hindus, and others. But to me, this sounds like an oxymoron!
Christianity is based on one book (the Bible, of course); now, with Orthodox and Protestant there are over 40,000 different sects, but even among members of the same church building, let alone the same branch, many times there is no unity of thought. 1 Corinthians 1:10 is out the window!

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I'm so thankful that I belong to a united, loving brotherhood, over 8-million strong worldwide, all of us being taught the same and believing and teaching the same, unified by Jehovah God's spirit! (BTW, Jehovah (Yahweh) is the Father and God of Jesus.)
We never debate among ourselves!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Interesting. Another Jehovah's witness thread.

It is against JW rules to debate what the governing body of Jehovah's Witnesses tell them is true (but sometimes they change their mind or minds).

Last edited:

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I guess this is common for Hindus, and others. But to me, this sounds like an oxymoron!
Christianity is based on one book (the Bible, of course); now, with Orthodox and Protestant there are over 40,000 different sects, but even among members of the same church building, let alone the same branch, many times there is no unity of thought. 1 Corinthians 1:10 is out the window!

As one of Jehovah's Witnesses, I'm so thankful that I belong to a united, loving brotherhood, over 8-million strong worldwide, all of us being taught the same and believing and teaching the same, unified by Jehovah God's spirit! (BTW, Jehovah (Yahweh) is the Father and God of Jesus.)
I notice that debating is most fierce between people of the same faith.
I speculate that this is because unlike with us heathens, with their own they expect agreement.

Is it OK to post here when the thread is about meta-same-faith-debates?
And I see a couple other non-JWs too.

Last edited:

sPagan

Oh my deer
It sure is. Religious teachings need interpretation to come alive, and every adherent is entitled to offer his or her own views and hopefully sharpen the body of understanding of the faith as a whole.

Something like rabbinical debates in Judaism? - Kinda feel stupid now that I didn't think of that example before posting the question. :tearsofjoy:

Shiranui117

Pronounced Shee-ra-noo-ee
Premium Member
Then how do you learn and discover your own misunderstandings to be changed? Voicing differences of opinion and belief is one of the best ways for us to realize where we need to learn more and correct our flawed perceptions.

but even among members of the same church building, let alone the same branch, many times there is no unity of thought
It is possible for differing interpretations to be complementary, and not just contradictory. Many faith communities (Christian or otherwise) are able to hold a diversity of interpretation yet also have a unity of faith.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Something like rabbinical debates in Judaism? - Kinda feel stupid now that I didn't think of that example before posting the question. :tearsofjoy:

Here there is no stupid. Well, apart from some of my Jokes threads.
But same faith debates can run the gamut from polite discussions on the meaning and execution of certain religious principles through to out and out schisms.

The Emperor of Mankind

Currently the galaxy's spookiest paraplegic
Where's the point in debating in the same-faith and is that even possible? o_O

Absolutely. In regards to our beliefs; we can debate about, among other things, the nature of the gods (I'm assuming you're a theist Pagan. If you're not please let me know); how important the environment is, what the afterlife might be like or if any pre-Christian interpretation of it makes sense - or does not etc. There are so many things members of what people would reasonably assume are doctrinally uniform religions can debate - how much more can we since we don't have a central theology we need to agree upon?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Heathens are not excepted from the phenomenon, for the secular version, check out civil wars. ;)
Oh, I know....but I didn't address heathens because this thread is about JWs.
I'd risk rapped knuckles by digressing in a forum where I feel on shaky ground.
But yes, some of the most abusive posters I've endured are fellow heathens.
(Some are shocked that I'm a capitalist. We're supposed to be commies?)