• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Member Survey -- Thread #3

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
From the dark ages when Usenet was the internet's favorite way of doing things, this post was a classic about trolling. It illustrates how extreme trolling can be. The location, newsgroup, was for discussing dog behavior.

Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Subject: OT: Trolling Dogbutt
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:22:24 GMT

Just wanted to thank Dogbutt for a free beer. I bet a friend I could get him to respond to every post I made about him, and Dogbutt responded very nicely. In response to losing a beer my friend sent me this to post for you Dogbutt.

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. So stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have
collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid.

You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know."

Anyway.....thanks again Dogbutt.

Yes, you can take comfort in that, having won my beer I am outta here. Go pee yourself with joy. I know, good riddance and all that blah blah blah. You were toooo easy Dogbutt. TROLL TROLL TROLL BOZO BOZO BOZO **** EATING DOG **** EATING DOG. There I sed it for you.

Oh, good luck Jerry Howe. Keep up the good work!
Later..........
MArtog
I think I remember this.

MikeDwight

Sounds like a way to destabilize stable people. I Sure don't need anything. You know? People want to ask how my schedule's going? No persistent troll one issue and another and why do I do things.Trolls act like I motivated talked ever.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
At 66, I find my method wonderfully sleep inducing.
When does it stop working?
Looks like I'm doomed then. Depending on my mood, leaving the TV can do wonders to help me sleep. And oddly enough, I often fall asleep to horror, so my sleep is accompanied by screams, explosions of various sorts (including gun shots), flashing lights, more screams, and meines and moguls of various sorts (like chainsaws). If I'm in "TV = sleep" mood, that will have me resting peacefully quickly and all night.

MikeDwight

I don't know about all that, but before you start thinking the first word against somebody else's actions, they could all be threatened with handcuffs, told where to go, where they're beaten and told to get on religious forums. that kind of thing. as if nobody "talks". We're all human people here.

Evangelicalhumanist

"Truth" isn't a thing...
Premium Member
For me, the worst kind of trolling is demanding "proof" that it is well-known cannot be provided, in order to validate a position one holds. Such things as: "show proof that a dog ever produced a litter of kittens" in order to claim ID must be true, ToE false, or "show proof that such-and-such Biblical miracle did NOT happen," in order to claim that the Biblical account must therefore be true.

I will no longer feed those trolls...

Milton Platt

Trolling.

How exactly would you define this word within the context of RF? What is a troll? Are there other kinds of trolls?

Please note, this is not a thread to gossip about others, name names, give what you think are actual RF examples and so on. In other words, don't vent about who you think are trolls on this thread. You can, however, give made up examples to make your point.

If you do have serious misgivings about a member, use Site Feedback.

Thanks.

I characterize it as person who does "post and runs". If a person isn't interested in having his/her viewpoints questioned and responding to those questions, then there is no need to post in the first place. I especially think those who start a new thread and then never responds to any of the comments should be suspended for a time the first time, and permanently suspended after the second offense.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Looks like I'm doomed then. Depending on my mood, leaving the TV can do wonders to help me sleep. And oddly enough, I often fall asleep to horror, so my sleep is accompanied by screams, explosions of various sorts (including gun shots), flashing lights, more screams, and meines and moguls of various sorts (like chainsaws). If I'm in "TV = sleep" mood, that will have me resting peacefully quickly and all night.
Should the underlined be "leaving the TV on"?

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
and where is the line drawn?
that I am persistent

and if my worthy opponent is MORE persistent......
The line is fuzzy and can move around a bit. While we may not be able to define it ideally, I think we can all recognize a troll when we see one. I am not seeing any here.

Milton Platt

When I used to travel extensively for work, I would sometimes leave the TV on in the room while sleeping as a form of "white noise" to help block out outside noises when the place was noisy.I would turn it on very low, usually a music station or talk station. I couldn't even hear what they were saying, really, but it desensitized me to other noise.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Trolling is, to an extent, on the eyes (and expectations) of the beholder. And it is difficult to define when the envelope is continuously pushed by people in positions that used to be references.

All the same, the core, defining element of trolling is an intent of presenting content with no constructive purpose, solely to destabilize or disrespect the people who read it or might be tarnished by it.

Milton Platt

Trolling is, to an extent, on the eyes (and expectations) of the beholder. And it is difficult to define when the envelope is continuously pushed by people in positions that used to be references.

All the same, the core, defining element of trolling is an intent of presenting content with no constructive purpose, solely to destabilize or disrespect the people who read it or might be tarnished by it.

Good definition. I was struggling to characterize it properly.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
I think sarcasm can be a good thing if it is measured. For example when the topic is an attack or an accusation, then I think its fair to use sarcastic remarks in defense. If someone says that some holy book or some practice is evil and I want to rebut, then I think that is a moment when sarcasm may be appropriate. One cannot always prove that things are not evil or prove that an evil has not been performed. There isn't always evidence, but it is easy to allege that something is evil or that evil has been done even without evidence.

I also think that sometimes sarcasm is an outlet for humor.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think sarcasm can be a good thing if it is measured. For example when the topic is an attack or an accusation, then I think its fair to use sarcastic remarks in defense. If someone says that some holy book or some practice is evil and I want to rebut, then I think that is a moment when sarcasm may be appropriate. One cannot always prove that things are not evil or prove that an evil has not been performed. There isn't always evidence, but it is easy to allege that something is evil or that evil has been done even without evidence.

I also think that sometimes sarcasm is an outlet for humor.
We need more friendly humor when things get heated.

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
We need more friendly humor when things get heated.

I think there should be more telling others to shut their pie hole :D

Seriously though, I agree, humor can work, sarcastic humor may or may not work, but it can be fun, However arguing just compounds the problem, whether it be a misunderstanding between posters or dealing with a Troll, who actually wants the argument. But ultimately, the best and most successful method is to simply walk away

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I think there should be more telling others to shut their pie hole :D
But that is your term of endearment.
Seriously though, I agree, humor can work, sarcastic humor may or may not work, but it can be fun, However arguing just compounds the problem, whether it be a misunderstanding between posters or dealing with a Troll, who actually wants the argument. But ultimately, the best and most successful method is to simply walk away
Aye, tis best to agree to disagree before either rehashing
the same arguments or fulminating up at the other.