• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Member Survey -- Thread #3

crossfire

LHP Mercuræn Feminist Heretic ☿
Premium Member
Harassment. Plain and simple. Trolling can be more of a matter of intent than anything else. (Which can be difficult to judge in text format.)

Threads can go on a tangent and not be trolling, especially when mutual understanding is the goal.

shmogie

Aye, some accuse me of than on occasion.
Having the temerity to disagree with "The Truth" is the worst sin, eh.
You ? I am shocked Ricky, yes shocked, that you would be called a troll ! I thought I was the only one.

Yes, dare to disagree with the parrots, and they poop on you with names , some much worse than troll.

I have even been called ooooooooh...................................................................a CLIMATE CHANGE DENIER !!!!, Oh the humanity !!

MikeDwight

Harassment. Plain and simple. Trolling can be more of a matter of intent than anything else. (Which can be difficult to judge in text format.)

Threads can go on a tangent and not be trolling, especially when mutual understanding is the goal.
Then harassment is defined first an intent to annoy etc. now you've got a logic circle. Nobody has measurable evidences.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
I see trolls as people who join a message board to cause upset.

Sure there are long time members who can start doing behavior similar to trolling, then the question that must be asked is, are they doing it for positive laughs or for attempted destruction of discussions?

crossfire

Premium Member
I've been called a troll by someone who went into the Buddhist DIR, asked a question, and then called me a troll when I gave them a truthful answer. LOL!

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
Trolling.

How exactly would you define this word within the context of RF? What is a troll? Are there other kinds of trolls?

Please note, this is not a thread to gossip about others, name names, give what you think are actual RF examples and so on. In other words, don't vent about who you think are trolls on this thread. You can, however, give made up examples to make your point.

If you do have serious misgivings about a member, use Site Feedback.

Thanks.

I troll post sometimes. In the sense of sometimes humor and getting posters to really think about the silliness of some positions. I don't see a problem with this kind of trolling.

What I see would be a problem is when the trolling gets personal. When the point of the post is simply to harass to poster. Trolling a person/individual IMO is bad. Trolling an idea or the content of a post, hopefully with a bit of humor tossed in I think is ok. Though I suppose even that could get obsessive beyond reason. So some judgement might be necessary.

PoetPhilosopher

Veteran Member
but if I post....and you get upset....

I become a troll?

what if your posting needed the obvious correction?
and you don't like it

Well, I meant new members. Sometimes you have people joining just to cause upset.

In the case of you, you could say something really offensive, but if 99% of your posts are good from what I can tell, I'm not going to use the definition "troll" necessarily. Wouldn't make much sense to.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
You ? I am shocked Ricky, yes shocked, that you would be called a troll ! I thought I was the only one.

Yes, dare to disagree with the parrots, and they poop on you with names , some much worse than troll.

I have even been called ooooooooh...................................................................a CLIMATE CHANGE DENIER !!!!, Oh the humanity !!
I am the "most dishonest poster" on RF.
All I do is "regurgitate right wing propaganda".
You didn't know?
(It brings me a smile to remember those posts.)

I understand that vigorous disagreement can upset
some who believe their Truth is the singular inerrant truth.
It's immaturity. So I take no offense when they act out thus.
But they do harm the forum by making it less friendly & civil.
And it's especially so when staff do it.

Last edited:

MikeDwight

So troll first describes, harm to some sort of ISP we all care about, like the Religious Forums. The Religious Forums is wronged by a troll. The User has signed on for their user-generated content experience. I don't think users are owed concerning trolls.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I troll post sometimes. In the sense of sometimes humor and getting posters to really think about the silliness of some positions. I don't see a problem with this kind of trolling.
That doesn't sound like trolling to me.

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member
I see trolls as those that engage in some or all of the following:

1, Repetitious posts that ignore information and opinions offered by others.
2. The intent appears divisive and inflammatory.
3. Generally off topic, but it can be within or tangent to the topic.
4, Reliance on labeling people or groups to some dreaded other category.
5. Extreme martyrdom.
6. Reliance on and repetition of personal attacks.
7. Regular and robust use of multiple fonts and font colors within posts that distort the post and make it difficult to read or unreadable.
8. Ignores requests to get on topic and engage in the discussion. There is a dynamic to discussion and debate that trolls ignore.

Within robust debate and discussion, it can be difficult at times to determine if a person is acting as a troll. Posts or posters that exhibit examples of individual points of these criteria or infrequently post within these criteria may not be intentionally trolling, but a pattern of behavior that includes some or all of these factors would indicate that a poster is not engaged in the discussion but is trolling.

crossfire

Premium Member
Then harassment is defined first an intent to annoy etc. now you've got a logic circle. Nobody has measurable evidences.
Threats of rape and violence or calls of rape and violence, even veiled threats are pretty obvious in this respect.

MikeDwight

Threats of rape and violence or calls of rape and violence, even veiled threats are pretty obvious in this respect.
Are you just throwing the kitchen sink at me or what? A man in Nepal with those hasn't caused a reasonable intent threshold with the online interaction. No one is going to police online accusations by policy, a purposefully indirect policing method. You should join my multiple threads against how we all associate our personhoods with online presences these days, facebook and social media. Little girls killing themselves from volumous fake hatemail all faked profiles from a next-door neighbor. They Sought to change the law about it, on Dr. Phil, and I don't know how I could be for them, we have to reclaim the tool that doesn't harm the user, which its always been, which is a literal, observable screen in front of people's faces, what are these cellphone people doing?

I don't feel like anyone here has even accurately described my traditional understanding of a troll. It'd be closely related to some other server hacking attack, like a ping of death attack, or flood attack, in fact that's almost a subgenre of flood attack. So I was thinking how to get a lot of posts in topics that don't matter to me...

Last edited:

Dan From Smithville

Recently discovered my planet of origin.
Staff member
Premium Member

I did not include that as a stand alone point in my list, but I should have. Trolls are often engaged in harassment of others to demean and silence them. Some appear to do it for the sake of abuse alone.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I see trolls as those that engage in some or all of the following:

1, Repetitious posts that ignore information and opinions offered by others.
2. The intent appears divisive and inflammatory.
3. Generally off topic, but it can be within or tangent to the topic.
4, Reliance on labeling people or groups to some dreaded other category.
5. Extreme martyrdom.
6. Reliance on and repetition of personal attacks.
7. Regular and robust use of multiple fonts and font colors within posts that distort the post and make it difficult to read or unreadable.
8. Ignores requests to get on topic and engage in the discussion. There is a dynamic to discussion and debate that trolls ignore.

Within robust debate and discussion, it can be difficult at times to determine if a person is acting as a troll. Posts or posters that exhibit examples of individual points of these criteria or infrequently post within these criteria may not be intentionally trolling, but a pattern of behavior that includes some or all of these factors would indicate that a poster is not engaged in the discussion but is trolling.
Not trolling: #1, #5, #7