• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Member Survey -- Thread #3

Dan From Smithville

What we've got here is failure to communicate.
Staff member
Premium Member
Threats of rape and violence or calls of rape and violence, even veiled threats are pretty obvious in this respect.
Fortunately, I have never seen these raised here, but I would consider your examples of very extreme trolling.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
trolls insist their post REQUIRES a response

as if their approval is needed before you may continue in your perspective

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Not trolling: #1, #5, #7
One, five and seven can be disruptive, especially when they are frequent,repetitive and requests made to acknowledge them and deal with them are ignored. They may not be intentional, but could be intentional tactics in support of an agenda.

It is more about the pattern.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
You take care of yourself, ya hear.
Sleep is essential for good health.
I recommend watching a favored rerun on the telly, whilst
sipping hot chocolate with a wee bit'o whiskey in it.
Before you know it, you'll doze off, & be saw'n wood.
If as you get older that stops working, try whisky combined with Horizontal Lying Down Meditation or better yet, multiplication practice in your head.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
One, five and seven can be disruptive, especially when they are frequent,repetitive and requests made to acknowledge them and deal with them are ignored. They may not be intentional, but could be intentional tactics in support of an agenda.

It is more about the pattern.
I agree about disruption, but not all disruption is trolling.
(I speak as one who sometimes disrupts, but with sincerity.)

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
Well, I meant new members. Sometimes you have people joining just to cause upset.

In the case of you, you could say something really offensive, but if 99% of your posts are good from what I can tell, I'm not going to use the definition "troll" necessarily. Wouldn't make much sense to.
I think that it is a pattern of behavior and the various employment of a number of tactics that make a troll. Very legitimate posts can appear to be troll-like, but not be intended to be or actually be that way.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
At 66, I find my method wonderfully sleep inducing.
When does it stop working?
I'm just brainstorming, but I suppose it may stop working when your guilty aging conscience begins to remind you of the good advice I have given you over the years.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Intellectuals, academics, scientists, and other sorts and types insist on proof and evidence.
oh no ……!!!!!!
I'm getting trolled

by some claim of greater intellect....!!!!

and the demand for proof.....!!!!!

when all I really can do is post as I believe

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
I agree about disruption, but not all disruption is trolling.
(I speak as one who sometimes disrupts, but with sincerity.)
I agree. Standing alone, those particular points may not be trolling in themselves, and can be just annoying. But they are often tactics employed by trolls in their trolling.

I was thinking of examples of real people when I drew up that list and I know of trolls that have engaged in numbers one, five and seven and regular posters that turn to those actions as well, without overt intent to inflame and derail the conversation. It is the abusive use of them in connection with other behaviors where they stand out for me enough to include in my list.

MikeDwight

as long as you're along the Way! Revoltingest!, and people ask if you compare yourself to Jesus Christ, just say, in forma pauperis! As long as you're along the way you get the Reward at the end. I'm a Deesciplen Officeer with Edukation Dugree.

Dan From Smithville

Staff member
Premium Member
oh no ……!!!!!!
I'm getting trolled

by some claim of greater intellect....!!!!

and the demand for proof.....!!!!!

when all I really can do is post as I believe
Are you saying that trolls often demand proof when they do not or cannot provide that standard themselves?