• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

RF Member Survey -- Thread #3

shmogie

I am the "most dishonest poster" on RF.
All I do is "regurgitate right wing propaganda".
You didn't know?
I understand that vigorous disagreement can upset
some who believe their Truth is the singular inerrant truth.
It's immaturity. So I take no offense when they act out thus.
But they do harm the forum by making it less friendly & civil.
And it's especially so when staff do it.
Agree totally. It is a sad defense of a position in ideaś to call someone names, or impugn their character because one can´t compete in the realm of ideaś.

Your strong character shows in that you don´t take offense. I point it out, and if it doesn´t stop, one more goes on my ignore list.

There were too many years when I was verbally attacked quite regularly and could not respond.

I choose not take the BS and name calling.

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I don't do guilt.
I am without sin.
I did not mean to insult you, but I can see how the comment may have come across as an insidious imposition of a particular worldview which might impair your sleeping facility. Again, not my intent. Not at all. In my defense I never used the term 'Sin' but 'Guilt' which can be merely a worrisome feeling which impedes sleep and need not refer to a state of being. Indeed, I have not even implied that you have a soul.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
as long as you're along the Way! Revoltingest!, and people ask if you compare yourself to Jesus Christ, just say, in forma pauperis! As long as you're along the way you get the Reward at the end. I'm a Deesciplen Officeer with Edukation Dugree.

I don't fully understand that, but JC & I are so very
different that comparison never occurred to me.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
Are you saying that trolls often demand proof when they do not or cannot provide that standard themselves?
wellllllll….yes

there is that ongoing double standard

science would have you believe
the bulk of the universe is unknown

we can't see it....feel it
there is no useful experiment
only equations that corner the seeker into belief

but if I report......a Greater Spirit
unknown
can't see it
can't feel it
can't stuff it into a petri dish...………..NO

gotta PROVE God

don't gotta prove dark energy.....oh no
don't gotta prove dark matter...oh no

but we scientific BELIEVE in such things

we said so

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
I agree about disruption, but not all disruption is trolling.
(I speak as one who sometimes disrupts, but with sincerity.)
Concerns I had when making that list are that the strict use of it could undermine legitimate posts that are sarcastic, satirical or humorous in nature that are offered to get people to think or break up tense moments to return the discussion in the right direction.

Conversations, discussions and debates should be flexible enough to bend and meander a bit without being derailed, while open to novel ideas and points. The problem is determining if an individual contributor has joined to intentionally disrupt the dynamic or harass posters whose opinions and positions they do not like and oppose their agendas. It is not an easy call, but there are criteria that can be used to help sort things out.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Agree totally. It is a sad defense of a position in ideaś to call someone names, or impugn their character because one can´t compete in the realm of ideaś.

Your strong character shows in that you don´t take offense. I point it out, and if it doesn´t stop, one more goes on my ignore list.

There were too many years when I was verbally attacked quite regularly and could not respond.

I choose not take the BS and name calling.
I could never put anyone on <ignore>.
I'm too curious & combative.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
I did not mean to insult you, but I can see how the comment may have come across as an insidious imposition of a particular worldview which might impair your sleeping facility. Again, not my intent. Not at all. In my defense I never used the term 'Sin' but 'Guilt' which can be merely a worrisome feeling which impedes sleep and need not refer to a state of being. Indeed, I have not even implied that you have a soul.
I thought we were both joking around...as
dogs & cartoon characters are want to do.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
wellllllll….yes

unknown
can't see it
can't feel it

gotta PROVE God

we said so
Actually, saying that we do not know is not dishonest, but a factual description of our state of knowledge of the universe. Science can only draw conclusions on what we do know and have evidence to base those conclusions on. The existence of a subjective deity has no evidence. On a scientific basis, there is nothing to say about it.

People believe a lot of things, but to express those beliefs to others so that they can see them for themselves requires evidence and a logic that leads others to the same conclusion that the person offering the belief has arrived at.

Even with personal experience, the Bible and historical accounts, I have no evidence that I could offer to show even a Christian of the objective existence of God.

Last edited:

Brickjectivity

Turned to Stone. Now I stretch daily.
Staff member
Premium Member
I thought we were both joking around...as
dogs & cartoon characters are want to do.
Yep, and my interest is merely some chatter though perhaps someday I may visit that engine museum. That would be fun, although it would be too far out of my way at this time. It is on my bucket list though. Its conceivable I could eventually stop and see the museum sometime. Out of curiosity do you offer tours for engineering classes?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Yep, and my interest is merely some chatter though perhaps someday I may visit that engine museum. That would be fun, although it would be too far out of my way at this time. It is on my bucket list though. Its conceivable I could eventually stop and see the museum sometime. Out of curiosity do you offer tours for engineering classes?
I've arranged for a Gannon University mechanical
engineering class tour (free) during the October show.
It would be great if this became bigger....more schools
& more disciplines involved, eg, art, economics,
political science, business. We're broadening the
interpretive aspects....a long process for a totally
volunteer staffed museum.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
wellllllll….yes

unknown
can't see it
can't feel it

gotta PROVE God

we said so
In further thought on the subject, science is not believed in the sense of belief without facts or evidence and merely on faith. Science is accepted based on the evidence. Not every scientist excepts every conclusion based on the evidence, but in doing so, they need to be able to articulate and support why they reject a particular conclusion or explanation. If they have a different conclusion or explanation, those need the support of evidence and logical reasoning. Otherwise, rejection could be a reflection of bias and not be scientific at all.

MikeDwight

Why are you 3 posting 5 times a page? Heard of budgeted effort, or, did someone demand your efforts, or there's heck to pay, or what.

Dan From Smithville

What's up Doc?
Staff member
Premium Member
I troll post sometimes. In the sense of sometimes humor and getting posters to really think about the silliness of some positions. I don't see a problem with this kind of trolling.

What I see would be a problem is when the trolling gets personal. When the point of the post is simply to harass to poster. Trolling a person/individual IMO is bad. Trolling an idea or the content of a post, hopefully with a bit of humor tossed in I think is ok. Though I suppose even that could get obsessive beyond reason. So some judgement might be necessary.
What you are describing for yourself might meet some criteria. If it does, it is not the sort of trolling that I find objectionable. I would not consider it trolling at all if your intention is to add to a thread, even in a humorous way.

sun rise

The world is on fire
Premium Member
From the dark ages when Usenet was the internet's favorite way of doing things, this post was a classic about trolling. It illustrates how extreme trolling can be. The location, newsgroup, was for discussing dog behavior.

Newsgroups: rec.pets.dogs.behavior
Subject: OT: Trolling Dogbutt
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 20:22:24 GMT

Just wanted to thank Dogbutt for a free beer. I bet a friend I could get him to respond to every post I made about him, and Dogbutt responded very nicely. In response to losing a beer my friend sent me this to post for you Dogbutt.

I cannot believe how incredibly stupid you are. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. So stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. You are trans-stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have
collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid.

You emit more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid. Perhaps this is some primordial fragment from the original big bang of stupid. Some pure essence of a stupid so uncontaminated by anything else as to be beyond the laws of physics that we know."

Anyway.....thanks again Dogbutt.

Yes, you can take comfort in that, having won my beer I am outta here. Go pee yourself with joy. I know, good riddance and all that blah blah blah. You were toooo easy Dogbutt. TROLL TROLL TROLL BOZO BOZO BOZO **** EATING DOG **** EATING DOG. There I sed it for you.

Oh, good luck Jerry Howe. Keep up the good work!
Later..........
MArtog