• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape victim punished in UAE

Bismillah

Submit
I dont understand people, women who actually leave their home to work in such countries.

On the stupidity index right next to "lets take a trekking tour near the iranian/north korean border.

That she was raped is bad but iam sorry it was kinda her own fault. At least now she knows how different countries around the world are.
No...

waitasec

Veteran Member
Of course its a horrific act. No denying that.

Then again it was her own decision to work in the UAE. She probably should have checked Amnesty International or Human Rights Watch before doing something as stupid as that.

This month a couple of danes had the brilliant idea to take a sailing trip in the northwestern indian ocean. And surprise they got caught by pirates.

I simply dont care about all those idiots all over the world anymore who get into the most obvious bad situations over and over again.

Oh the rapists are of course not blameless. Then again we should probably call them alleged rapists since a court of law didnt found them guilty.

After all its the UAE. Beacon of humanity and rightousness.

And she was raped in a rather... unfriendly place for women. If this would have happened in a western country and the rapists were still free i would support her cause without question.

But since she actually moved to the UAE and was not born there(i really feel sorry for all the women who have to live there and have nowhere else to go)... yeah stupid idea.
Next time she'll probably get some infos first before moving to... Oman or northern Pakistan.

maybe she could have had hungary mouths to feed.. moving there could have been a circumstance beyond her control...

by your comments, you seem to believe it's better to live with it and not rock the boat ...consider rosa parks, her "defiance became an important symbol of the modern civil rights movement"
Rosa Parks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Flankerl

maybe she could have had hungary mouths to feed.. moving there could have been a circumstance beyond her control...

by your comments, you seem to believe it's better to live with it and not rock the boat ...consider rosa parks, her "defiance became an important symbol of the modern civil rights movement"
Rosa Parks - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh please you seriously want to tell me that of the whole world she had to work in the UAE? Seriously?

And your allegory with Rosa Parks is not really good. If that happened in the UAE Mrs Parks would have been whipped to death, or stoned, or hung, or...

You have to distinguish between countries and how "civilised" they are. You cant compare something that happened in the USA with something that happened in the UAE.

waitasec

Veteran Member
Oh please you seriously want to tell me that of the whole world she had to work in the UAE? Seriously?

And your allegory with Rosa Parks is not really good. If that happened in the UAE Mrs Parks would have been whipped to death, or stoned, or hung, or...

You have to distinguish between countries and how "civilised" they are. You cant compare something that happened in the USA with something that happened in the UAE.

but what you are assuming she is the only female in the region...
do females have any say in that region? is it her fault? really?
i guess it's the bravery of being out of range that enables someone to say such things...
btw,
for rosa parks lashings/hangings was a norm...

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
I had to read this twice to work out what on earth was going on.

"In June 2008 Ms Gali had her drink spiked and was raped by up to four co-workers while working as a beauty salon manager at the international resort.
When she reported the assault to authorities she was jailed on an adultery charge and spent eight months in prison because it is illegal in the UAE to have sex outside marriage."

I'm disgusted and horrified by this article. How often does this sort of thing go on in that country?

Source:
Brisbane rape victim sues UAE luxury hotel - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

I hate hearing stories like that one. And to anyone who said otherwise: It is never the victim's fault with rape or any other crime. I can't believe anyone would say that it was.
And as little as 30 years ago, in the USA, they also blamed the victim for rapes on occasion. So I am not going to get all high and mighty.

RitalinO.D.

There are countries where human trafficking exists where women are brought in from other countries. It's pretty much slavery disguised because they work in Bars and the such. South Korea is a prime example.

Perhaps she was a victim of that? Who knows.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
There are countries where human trafficking exists where women are brought in from other countries. It's pretty much slavery disguised because they work in Bars and the such. South Korea is a prime example.

Perhaps she was a victim of that? Who knows.

Whenever I see those shows, I cry. I wish that kind of thing would stop and I wish I could do anything to stop it. Those girls and young ladies are just as much a victim as any other crime. And they wouldn't exist without demand. It's disgusting. (I know that my comment is off-topic but I felt moved to respond).

RitalinO.D.

Whenever I see those shows, I cry. I wish that kind of thing would stop and I wish I could do anything to stop it. Those girls and young ladies are just as much a victim as any other crime. And they wouldn't exist without demand. It's disgusting. (I know that my comment is off-topic but I felt moved to respond).

I saw it first hand in South Korea. The US Gov't there does try to stop it the best they can , such as putting bars that do it off limits to American troops n such, but without cooperation from the South Korean gov't, there isn't much they can do.

Flankerl

but what you are assuming she is the only female in the region...
do females have any say in that region? is it her fault? really?
i guess it's the bravery of being out of range that enables someone to say such things...
btw,
for rosa parks lashings/hangings was a norm...

Of course its not her fault that women dont have any say or rights in that region.

Bravery of being out of range? That iam not so stupid to live there? Iam actually ok with that.

Oh please not even the racist USA from back then was like the UAE today.

Most women who come to such countries to work there are from the 3rd world.
It's not so easy for them to stay away, they need the money badly.

Then again she isnt. :)
You see thats a difference from the women who was raped and the poor people who have to live/work there.

No way she had no alternative.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Then again she isnt. :)
You see thats a difference from the women who was raped and the poor people who have to live/work there.

No way she had no alternative.

As a fellow Australian I can tell you that work recruitment to work in that country is huge. My best opportunities for work came from the region. The UAE is a tourist destination for us and is widely advertised. Where I live specifically is also a huge destination for residents of that region.

I can't follow your logic though, she got raped and sent to jail and it was her fault because she went to that country. What kind of idiot looks up those kind of local laws? Are you saying she should have expected to get raped? Most people look up dress codes local basic laws etc. The Australian government even gives information pertaining to this subject its called Smart Traveller. It does not give information on how to deal with being a vitim of rape. If you were violated in such a way what would you do (bearing in mind you have the luxery over the internet of fabricating your answer)?

waitasec

Veteran Member
Bravery of being out of range? That iam not so stupid to live there? Iam actually ok with that.
no. that you are not subjected to that type of treatment

Oh please not even the racist USA from back then was like the UAE today.
but aren't you undermining the the civil rights movement...
that was a huge undertaking by people who decided to rock the boat and challenge the status quo.
how do you suppose progress happens?

by sticking your head in the sand?
by sweeping the issue at at hand under the rug?

Flankerl

As a fellow Australian I can tell you that work recruitment to work in that country is huge. My best opportunities for work came from the region. The UAE is a tourist destination for us and is widely advertised. Where I live specifically is also a huge destination for residents of that region.

I can't follow your logic though, she got raped and sent to jail and it was her fault because she went to that country. What kind of idiot looks up those kind of local laws? Are you saying she should have expected to get raped? Most people look up dress codes local basic laws etc. The Australian government even gives information pertaining to this subject its called Smart Traveller. It does not give information on how to deal with being a vitim of rape. If you were violated in such a way what would you do (bearing in mind you have the luxery over the internet of fabricating your answer)?

What kind of idiot looks up to such laws? Uhm you know thats actually not very political correct from you. Its after all a different culture. And in that culture its only rape if the rape victim can find four witnesses. Is that bad for the victim? Of course. Then again its a different culture. Isnt it nice not living there?

This is why people have to realise that such countries cant be viewed like so called western countries. Its a complete different world with different rules, which dont have to make sense to us.

Akin to saying, "next time she wont wear such a short skirt".

Well certainly not in such countries. If it would happen in a western country where the laws are quite more civilised the rape victim would have more rights. And thats good!

no. that you are not subjected to that type of treatment

And never will be because i will never be stupid enough to visit such countries. The football WC in Qatar will be awesome. I wonder how people will manage to uphold the political correctness.

but aren't you undermining the the civil rights movement...
that was a huge undertaking by people who decided to rock the boat and challenge the status quo.
how do you suppose progress happens?

by sticking your head in the sand?
by sweeping the issue at at hand under the rug?

First of all i dont really care about the civil rights movement. Iam not a US citizen. Its good that the movement changed much but you cant compare the US with countries from that part of the world.
There were probably a few rosa parks on that penisula. Know why we never heard of them? They are dead.

waitasec

Veteran Member
What kind of idiot looks up to such laws? Uhm you know thats actually not ver
And never will be because i will never be stupid enough to visit such countries. The football WC in Qatar will be awesome. I wonder how people will manage to uphold the political correctness.

First of all i dont really care about the civil rights movement. Iam not a US citizen. Its good that the movement changed much but you cant compare the US with countries from that part of the world.
There were probably a few rosa parks on that penisula. Know why we never heard of them? They are dead.

you age explains your lack of compassion little girl

Last edited: