• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Rape victim punished in UAE

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I had to read this twice to work out what on earth was going on.

"In June 2008 Ms Gali had her drink spiked and was raped by up to four co-workers while working as a beauty salon manager at the international resort.
When she reported the assault to authorities she was jailed on an adultery charge and spent eight months in prison because it is illegal in the UAE to have sex outside marriage."

I'm disgusted and horrified by this article. How often does this sort of thing go on in that country?

Source:
Brisbane rape victim sues UAE luxury hotel - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
It's sad that muslim countries tend to be so uncivilized.

Perhaps its our Western background?

From my point of view its sickening how a woman can get punished as the victim of one of the most horrific crimes humanity can commit. Shame on anyone who supports this law.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
do you really think that?

I don't know what to think to be honest. I am somewhat confused. If Islam condemns it, why is it a "muslim dominated" country where such a law exists? If Islam condemned such a thing I would have thought the law would be removed? Please help me out here.

good thing islam condems it.

you must take into account some islamic viewpoints though. maybe thats where they (the authorities) got it wrong. who knows.

I do not know what the Islamic viewpoint is. Thats what you're for :p

Flankerl

I dont understand people, women who actually leave their home to work in such countries.

On the stupidity index right next to "lets take a trekking tour near the iranian/north korean border.

That she was raped is bad but iam sorry it was kinda her own fault. At least now she knows how different countries around the world are.

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
I dont understand people, women who actually leave their home to work in such countries.

On the stupidity index right next to "lets take a trekking tour near the iranian/north korean border.

That she was raped is bad but iam sorry it was kinda her own fault. At least now she knows how different countries around the world are.

Wha....? Really?

Flankerl

Surprise the countries in that region give almost no rights to women.

Dont go there. Its pretty easy.

Its like being surprised of being blown into the air by one of the billions of mines who are still in laos and cambodia.

Dont visit or even work in such countries. If found guilty of anything you will receive no help and will be pretty much ******** up.

The whole idea of working in such countries is stupid to begin with.

It's shocking that the response of the authorities was to imprison the victim for 8 months, instead of investigating the crime.

Ozzie

It's shocking that the response of the authorities was to imprison the victim for 8 months, instead of investigating the crime.
Its shocking that we perpetuate these crimes because some derive wealth from our dependency on their oil, rather than seek to dissociate ourselves from them in energy.

tumbleweed41

Resident Liberal Hippie
Blaming the victim for the acts of barbarians tends to relieve the perpetrators of any responsibility.
As if rapists are blameless and simply victims to women's sexuality.
Your statement is akin to blaming a rape victim for "dressing provocatively", or "walking down the wrong street".

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
i don't even know how to reply to this.
the UAE government should be ashamed of themselves (although something tells me that's wishful thinking). :(

her fault? wow, that's just appalling.

beenie

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
good thing islam condems it.

you must take into account some islamic viewpoints though. maybe thats where they (the authorities) got it wrong. who knows.

i sure hope you come back and explain this, because you've certainly peaked my interest. :)

Songbird

She rules her life like a bird in flight
Surprise the countries in that region give almost no rights to women.

Dont go there. Its pretty easy.

Its like being surprised of being blown into the air by one of the billions of mines who are still in laos and cambodia.

Dont visit or even work in such countries. If found guilty of anything you will receive no help and will be pretty much ******** up.

The whole idea of working in such countries is stupid to begin with.

Regardless, saying it was her fault is pretty nasty. The details of why she was there or how she determined it was safe to be there, etc., are largely irrelevant. Sorry if it seems like I'm jumping on you, it just seemed like a careless comment about a horrific act compounded by a horrific lack of justice. And from the few scant details in the article, we can't know the degree of safety she could have expected.

RitalinO.D.

Problem is, this sort of thing happens in a lot of Muslim countries. The same ones where women are imprisoned/Stoned for even associating with a male out of wedlock, or showing their face in public. The sad thing is, this won't be the last time this happens.

While I would probably agree that Islam does not condone this type of behavior (never read the Quran), it certainly doesn't stop them from doing it. Just like the US laws against rape don't stop Americans from committing the crime.

Flankerl

Regardless, saying it was her fault is pretty nasty. The details of why she was there or how she determined it was safe to be there, etc., are largely irrelevant. Sorry if it seems like I'm jumping on you, it just seemed like a careless comment about a horrific act compounded by a horrific lack of justice. And from the few scant details in the article, we can't know the degree of safety she could have expected.

Of course its a horrific act. No denying that.

Then again it was her own decision to work in the UAE. She probably should have checked Amnesty International or Human Rights Watch before doing something as stupid as that.

This month a couple of danes had the brilliant idea to take a sailing trip in the northwestern indian ocean. And surprise they got caught by pirates.

I simply dont care about all those idiots all over the world anymore who get into the most obvious bad situations over and over again.

Blaming the victim for the acts of barbarians tends to relieve the perpetrators of any responsibility.
As if rapists are blameless and simply victims to women's sexuality.
Your statement is akin to blaming a rape victim for "dressing provocatively", or "walking down the wrong street".

Oh the rapists are of course not blameless. Then again we should probably call them alleged rapists since a court of law didnt found them guilty.

After all its the UAE. Beacon of humanity and rightousness.

And she was raped in a rather... unfriendly place for women. If this would have happened in a western country and the rapists were still free i would support her cause without question.

But since she actually moved to the UAE and was not born there(i really feel sorry for all the women who have to live there and have nowhere else to go)... yeah stupid idea.
Next time she'll probably get some infos first before moving to... Oman or northern Pakistan.